The Ka-busted Powerplay

wjag

While I'm certainly not the one to research it, the Sabres don't have the guys they used to that drew all those penalties. Obviously, Kaleta draws his share with his style but all the tripping/interference/hooking calls that Briere, Afinogenov, Drury and Campbell would create are gone. Not sure if that holds any water but it certainly seems plausible. Throw in the fact the league was actually calling those penalties, and I'm starting to believe it myself.

'05/'06 - 477 Power Plays (5.8 PP/G)

'06/'07 - 407 Power Plays (5.0 PP/G)

'07/'08 - 366 Power Plays (4.5 PP/G)

'08/'09 - 358 Power Plays (4.3 PP/G)

Pretty nice trend there. It would take a little more digging but I imagine this is a league wide trend as less obstruction/interference is called...

Pretty nice trend there. It would take a little more digging but I imagine this is a league wide trend as less obstruction/interference is called...

My mommy always told me I was smart.

There you go. Even though our PP % was 7th best in the league last year, the overall impact would've been less. Additionally, I believe that the timeliness of the power play would also have been a factor. I think in 05/06 we utilized the PP to get back into games in the 3rd period quite often.

There you go. Even though our PP % was 7th best in the league last year, the overall impact would've been less. Additionally, I believe that the timeliness of the power play would also have been a factor. I think in 05/06 we utilized the PP to get back into games in the 3rd period quite often.

I like this view. It's basically saying that although our powerplay has been pretty good, it hasn't been as timely as it was back during 05-06. We might be converting, but not when it is important.

Personally, the thing I guess this team misses most from the 2005-2006 season was how good the PK was. Not only was the PK efficient in killing penalties, I believe they were #3 that season, but they were dangerous in creating offensive chances. I think that can easily be attributed to Scott Arniel. The PK system looks a little different, and it's nowhere near as dangerous. The Sabres must have led the NHL in shorthanded goals that season. Just in the Ottawa series alone, I distinctly remember Connolly, Roy, Drury, and of course Pominville each scoring huge shorthanded goals. I'm not sure why the Sabres are not as aggressive on the PK as they were under Arniel, but it is noticeably less aggressive even though it likely is very efficient. Hands down, I think Arniel was a great special teams coach, but that's my opinion. But then again, it's pretty easy to coach a team when you have four lines of talented players to choose from.

Calgary game right? I heard that comment too.

Something along the lines of, "Thats what great about the NHL today; you can come back from a 5 goal deficit and win the game. Rewind 2 years ago, that would be unheard of."

Funny you mentioned this yesterday as Chicago came back against Calgary down 5 goals.

coincidence?

No coincidence. VansTheMans was talking about a comment made about Chicago's comeback.

Yeah, they have mentioned that they have loosened up a little bit on the hitting, holding, etc and all which were all in force after the lockout.

Interesting though - coming out of the lockout, Regier & Ruff remodelled the team, and Ruff's coaching style which took advantage of the situation then, and we did well. That style got outdated in the last two years, and we tasted failure.

Now it looks like in the offseason Ruff has remodelled his vision, and the team seems to fit in pretty well to what he has in mind. Do we see success again? I get the feeling we need a goal-producing, face-off winning and gritty center to keep doing what we're doing..

Archived