[OT] ESPN's List of the Top 40 Goaltenders in the NHL

tulax

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/hockey/fhl/story?page=inthecrease091008

I saw this article written by Tim Kavanagh of ESPN ranking the top 40 goaltenders in the NHL. His list is based only on projections. He ranks Miller 27th. 27th! Behind both Nashville goaltenders, both Washington goaltenders, Huet, and Gustavsson. I would call this a joke, however, it is ESPN so I guess this is all you can really expect from their hockey department. I have seen more reliable information on Hockeybuzz.

p.s. In case you were wondering: Ray Emery cracks the top 10.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/hockey/fhl/story?page=inthecrease091008

I saw this article written by Tim Kavanagh of ESPN ranking the top 40 goaltenders in the NHL. His list is based only on projections. He ranks Miller 27th. 27th! Behind both Nashville goaltenders, both Washington goaltenders, Huet, and Gustavsson. I would call this a joke, however, it is ESPN so I guess this is all you can really expect from their hockey department. I have seen more reliable information on Hockeybuzz.

p.s. In case you were wondering: Ray Emery cracks the top 10.

FANTASY HOCKEY, NOT REAL HOCKEY!

It has nothing to do with ranking the top goalies by quality, simply by their fantasy worth. It takes into account potential starts, team standings, wins, and all that other fake garbage that purists don't care about.

p.s. Ray Emery is top 10 because the Flyers are going to win a ton of games and they're very sound defensively. By years end, Emery may be top 3 fantasy goalie. He still sucks!

It has nothing to do with ranking the top goalies by quality, simply by their fantasy worth. It takes into account potential starts, team standings, wins, and all that other fake garbage that purists don't care about.

p.s. Ray Emery is top 10 because the Flyers are going to win a ton of games and they're very sound defensively. By years end, Emery may be top 3 fantasy goalie. He still sucks!

According to the article it measures the goalies by projected wins for the goalie, save percentage, and GAA. I could be an idiot but aren't those the statistics we use to measure goalies in "real hockey?" I understand the wins aspect being partially a product by what team is on the ice, but save percentage and goals against average are the direct result of the person between the pipes. Standings and potential starts has nothing to do with it. So although Ray Emery will win a good amount of games, due to the team in front of him, it is not the only measure of his worth, either as a fantasy or a real hockey goalie. I happen to think that, contrary to what the article and list say, this writer saw Emery only give up 2 goals in back to back starts and thought that suddenly he'd be steady. Sorry if you guys are upset that this is a "fantasy" list but I'd rather talk about this than what actor/actress you dislike the most.

Yeah, who cares about wins.

According to the article it measures the goalies by projected wins for the goalie, save percentage, and GAA. I could be an idiot but aren't those the statistics we use to measure goalies in "real hockey?" I understand the wins aspect being partially a product by what team is on the ice, but save percentage and goals against average are the direct result of the person between the pipes. Standings and potential starts has nothing to do with it. So although Ray Emery will win a good amount of games, due to the team in front of him, it is not the only measure of his worth, either as a fantasy or a real hockey goalie. I happen to think that, contrary to what the article and list say, this writer saw Emery only give up 2 goals in back to back starts and thought that suddenly he'd be steady. Sorry if you guys are upset that this is a "fantasy" list but I'd rather talk about this than what actor/actress you dislike the most.

Actually, it's very cool that you found this and put it up for discussion. Sh*t list, but good topic.

And yeah, the idea that Emery is a better goalie than Miller, let alone anyone who played in Philly in the last couple of years, truly is a fantasy.

When that list was put out, Miller had played for 1 game. He was 0-0-1, allowed 2 goals on 17 shots for a .882 SV% and a GAA of 1.91.

In his two games since, he is 2-0, allowed 1 goal on 49 shots, .980 SV%, and a GAA of .50.

Incidentally, all three of Miller's allowed goals have come in different situations: one PPG, one SHG, and one even strength goal.

Archived