I think Mika will be traded

Goodfella25

This was posted Sunday, March 5th on TheFourthPeriod.com, and quotes the Buffalo News as the souce...

March 5, 2006

Sabres to deal a goalie

TheFourthPeriod.com

The Sabres know they need to trade a goalie in order to upgrade in other areas, which is why the team is set on dealing one of their two available netminders, reports the Buffalo News.

According to the News, the Sabres have been shopping Mika Noronen for the past week. The Sabres sent out a fax to every team notifying them that Noronen was playing back-to-back games in the AHL over the weekend.

The Atlanta Thrashers supposedly offered Buffalo a second-round pick for Noronen, but the News claims the deal was nixed.

The Sabres are looking for a reliable defenseman in exchange for one of their goalies and they could have interest in Washington's Brendan Witt. The Edmonton Oilers, meanwhile, have wanted Martin Biron all season long, reports the News.

Buffalo does not want to disrupt its chemistry, and the paper suggests the team is more likely to move Noronen rather than keep him, which would be a smarter move.

First off, I sincerely doubt that Brendan Witt will be coming here. He supposedly has publicly stated that he does not want to play for Buffalo (although I have never seen the news story with that statement). Now here's my theory....keep in mind this is really not based on any substantiated rumors, it's just my gut feeling that I wanna throw out there for debate....we are keeping Biron, and we are trying to trade Noronen to Phoenix for defenseman Derek Morris. The catch is that Phoenix is trying to move Curtis Joseph, and the deal won't go down until that happens. But Darcy won't wait forever, so that might put an end to this deal.

Morris is 27 years old, making $2.6 million (over half of which has already been paid by Phoenix),

6'0

220 lbs

32 GP, 2G 14 A, 16PTS (both of his goals came on the powerplay)

From TSN.ca scouting report:

Assets: Possesses a well-rounded package of top-level skills, specifically an excellent skating stride and booming shot from the point. Is very strong and aggressive along the blueline.

Flaws: Has a tendency to lose his concentration in the defensive zone and give the puck away at the most inopportune moments. Must learn to better harness his aggressive nature.

Career potential: No. 2 defenseman.

So, what would you think of this trade, or something similar to this? Would this be fair compensation for Noronen?

Guest Meet me at the zoo

I suppose you are aware that goalies are the most important players on the ice? Having three, or even four is good not bad. The minute you start trading them is the minute you get injuries and see a net positive turn into a net deficit. Within a year or two we will be offering an arm and a leg for a goalie

I suppose you are aware that goalies are the most important players on the ice? Having three, or even four is good not bad. The minute you start trading them is the minute you get injuries and see a net positive turn into a net deficit. Within a year or two we will be offering an arm and a leg for a goalie

Maybe we can have a seperate locker room just for the goalies. You know what, we have 23 roster spots (pre-deadline), we need 18 skaters dressed for the game, why don't we carry 5 goalies, just in case.

You know what, I am sure they will all be good sports about it too!

Maybe we can have a seperate locker room just for the goalies. You know what, we have 23 roster spots (pre-deadline), we need 18 skaters dressed for the game, why don't we carry 5 goalies, just in case.

IN fact, I want 9 goalies on my team. That leaves 14 spots for forwards and defensemen. And since our guys are young (Todd Kaz's theory here) we can have 2 forward lines and 2 defensive pairings and play them till they die. No rest needed. At least we have our 9 goalies in case Miller gets hurt! So, I'll trade Vanek to Detroit for Osgood.... Drury to the leafs for belfour, lets see, who else. Grier to the Bruins for Raycroft. Can't have enough goalies!

akngd;klasd;gklj;asjg;as

I think i'm banning myself from the idiocy on these boards. Between Spaz and Meet me at the zoo, i'm gonna have a stroke.

IN fact, I want 9 goalies on my team. That leaves 14 spots for forwards and defensemen. And since our guys are young (Todd Kaz's theory here) we can have 2 forward lines and 2 defensive pairings and play them till they die. No rest needed. At least we have our 9 goalies in case Miller gets hurt! So, I'll trade Vanek to Detroit for Osgood.... Drury to the leafs for belfour, lets see, who else. Grier to the Bruins for Raycroft. Can't have enough goalies!

akngd;klasd;gklj;asjg;as

I think i'm banning myself from the idiocy on these boards. Between Spaz and Meet me at the zoo, i'm gonna have a stroke.

LOL lets just ice a team of nothing but goalies, so we don't run out!

Interesting concept, Goodfella.

A three-way deal, or perhaps two two-way deals?

Derek Morris -> Buffalo

Noronen, future considerations -> Phoenix

Cujo -> Edmonton

Ethan Moreau, 3rd pick -> Phoenix

Sounds good except I think we would need to throw in a prospect instead of future considerations. Small detail but I think it would push the deal to fruition.

Interesting concept, Goodfella.

A three-way deal, or perhaps two two-way deals?

Derek Morris -> Buffalo

Noronen, future considerations -> Phoenix

Cujo -> Edmonton

Ethan Moreau, 3rd pick -> Phoenix

I also think both of those deals are definitely a possibility. I made this thread based solely on what makes sense to me, and it is not really based on an rumors involving Buffalo dealing with Phoenix...and it still is wayyyy more likely than anything Eklund has ever said. How did that guy even get his job??.....yea Roenick to Buffalo, okay buddy.

Archived