[OT] Star Trek

Guest Sloth

Spock wouldn't have to do that. He could simply wax Nero after he is born. If Spock did that, Nero could never go back in time and destroy Vulcan. This would have no affect on the space/time continuum.

There should be a "Spoiler Alert" in the title of this thread (not to mention an "OT".) Don't read the rest of my post if you haven't seen the movie.

Anyway, Nero wasn't evil to begin with; he was a miner (at least, his ship was a mining ship originally, implying that it was his original profession.) He simply blamed Spock for letting Romulus (including his family) be destroyed. All young Spock would have to do is get the red matter to the star sooner, averting the destruction of Nero's home world or, barring that, have Romulus evacuated sooner.

There should be a "Spoiler Alert" in the title of this thread (not to mention an "OT".) Don't read the rest of my post if you haven't seen the movie.

Anyway, Nero wasn't evil to begin with; he was a miner (at least, his ship was a mining ship originally, implying that it was his original profession.) He simply blamed Spock for letting Romulus (including his family) be destroyed. All young Spock would have to do is get the red matter to the star sooner, averting the destruction of Nero's home world or, barring that, have Romulus evacuated sooner.

That was the one thing that bugged me about the movie. Why was a mining ship that damn big? It also had some pretty powerful weapons for a mining ship. Then again, the 100+ years of advancements could explain the stronger weapons.

That was the one thing that bugged me about the movie. Why was a mining ship that damn big? It also had some pretty powerful weapons for a mining ship. Then again, the 100+ years of advancements could explain the stronger weapons.

Up to the 20th century (or so), large merchant vessels were generally well armed to repel pirates, presumably this is the same idea. More likely, the writers wanted to make sure it was a 'boss' ship, otherwise a few ships would team up and just destroy it.

Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie.

Spock wouldn't have to do that. He could simply wax Nero after he is born. If Spock did that, Nero could never go back in time and destroy Vulcan. This would have no affect on the space/time continuum.

Except Vulcan has already been destroyed in the timeline. Killing the young Nero would have no change on that since the other timeline Nero is the one who destroyed it.

Guest Sloth
Don't read this if you haven't seen the movie.

Except Vulcan has already been destroyed in the timeline. Killing the young Nero would have no change on that since the other timeline Nero is the one who destroyed it.

:doh:

Very good point. I should've thought about that.

**I apologize for not putting some type of spoiler warning on this topic.**

Here's a spoiler, so don't scroll down if you do not want to know what happened in the movie.

Spock did lose his mother when Vulcan was destroyed, and he had a deep love for her. That may cause him to do whatever it takes to prevent her death. Spock's Vulcan half would keep him from doing anything drastic, but his human side may cause him to think otherwise. It's something for the writers to consider.

Guest Sloth

W/ a Klingon bird of prey, that would be possible. Now, would they have enough dilithium crystal to return to the "present" time?

If they did go back in time to save Vulcan, there would be 3 Spocks, two Kirks, etc... That would cause a HUGE problem. The space/time continuum can be complicated and debateable. Spock should choose the Vulcan way and go w/ what's best for all.

Spoiler conversation below:

:doh:

Very good point. I should've thought about that.

**I apologize for not putting some type of spoiler warning on this topic.**

Here's a spoiler, so don't scroll down if you do not want to know what happened in the movie.

Spock did lose his mother when Vulcan was destroyed, and he had a deep love for her. That may cause him to do whatever it takes to prevent her death. Spock's Vulcan half would keep him from doing anything drastic, but his human side may cause him to think otherwise. It's something for the writers to consider.

The young Spock may end up not controlling his emotions as well as Spock Prime has. He might have to go off with Spock Prime for some intensive Vulcan study!

Archived