Sabres second overall

PASabreFan

What's worse is that out of 37, there are literally only two that I would pay money for and at least 30 that I wouldn't be caught dead in. Of course, the slug plays a big role in that.

Yeah, but don't forget - "The league wouldn't allow a circular logo". :wallbash:

Can we at least entertain the chatter for the second overall pick? :unsure: for argument sake?

Mock Draft 2009

It's funny, that mock nails the Sabres' love affair with undersized, finesse players. They have the slugs taking a 5-10, 173 lb offensive defenseman. If they took Ellis then our march toward a soft, all-midget team would continue.

It's funny, that mock nails the Sabres' love affair with undersized, finesse players. They have the slugs taking a 5-10, 173 lb offensive defenseman. If they took Ellis then our march toward a soft, all-midget team would continue.

There's goes that argument :wallbash:

On the brightside; Tampa will have a hard time catching the Sabres. That puts the Sabres 3rd overall perhaps!

There's goes that argument :wallbash:

On the brightside; Tampa will have a hard time catching the Sabres. That puts the Sabres 3rd overall perhaps!

If that's the case Evander Kane is going to be a stud. He's got Jarome Iginla written all over him, maybe with better puck skills.

Wolf, as for Ryan Ellis, he was as much as the reason Canada won the WJC this year as Tavares and Eberle were. His vision on the ice is second to none, especially on the PP. I would normally be against a small finesse defenseman but he should have a bright future ahead of him.

If that's the case Evander Kane is going to be a stud. He's got Jarome Iginla written all over him, maybe with better puck skills.

Wolf, as for Ryan Ellis, he was as much as the reason Canada won the WJC this year as Tavares and Eberle were. His vision on the ice is second to none, especially on the PP. I would normally be against a small finesse defenseman but he should have a bright future ahead of him.

That may be so, but we can't continue to keep stockpiling smaller, finesse players. At some point you need some size, because that is what everyone else is getting.

Unless he is a HoF caliber offensive defenseman, I'd rather take someone with similar physical skills who is bigger.

I agree 100%. Regardless, the Sabres cannot stick with this current roster to open next season. And, I know that wont happen by default. There's no personality or attitude.

We saw Gerbe, Weber, Mancari & Gragnani. I am not sure any of them are the shot in the arm needed next year. <_<

With Meyers in the system, I think that they should change their focus toward getting the highest forward-defenseman differential and pick up 6'5", 216 lbs Jared Cowen. Twin towers, baby!

Edit: oops, the numbers go down, not across. I guess we'll just have to lose out to get down to the ninth spot. Too bad we can't get down to Hedman.

With Meyers in the system, I think that they should change their focus toward getting the highest forward-defenseman differential and pick up 6'5", 216 lbs Jared Cowen. Twin towers, baby!

Edit: oops, the numbers go down, not across. I guess we'll just have to lose out to get down to the ninth spot.

I like it.

Edit: oops, the numbers go down, not across. I guess we'll just have to lose out to get down to the ninth spot.

So by the time the Pizza line is 40 they should be ready. Sounds good.

I thought about this, and it would be a good sight to see down the road. Cowen was VERY high on many scouting lists, but the chatter has seemed to calm down during his draft year.

As for Wolf comment about size, it goes back the the saying "you can't teach size" so you do have a point. It's what makes Jeff Carter exceptional instead of just another solid NHL player. Now I wouldn't say Ellis is a sure fire hall of famer (obviously no one knows at this age) but if the new rule is to draft size, I'd make an exception here.

As for Wolf comment about size, it goes back the the saying "you can't teach size" so you do have a point. It's what makes Jeff Carter exceptional instead of just another solid NHL player. Now I wouldn't say Ellis is a sure fire hall of famer (obviously no one knows at this age) but if the new rule is to draft size, I'd make an exception here.

I hear ya, and I'm not usually someone who dismisses guys who can play just based on their size or pedigree. I want hockey players, regardless of size - guys who have the heart to battle, fight and dig, and guys who can just flat-out play. The problem is he wouldn't be one small, talented, finesse guy among a bunch of bigger guys, he's just be another small, talented, finesse guy in the system, so unless he is an absolute "can't miss" guy, I'd rather see them look at someone bigger.

This one must have been done earlier in the season, because we are drafting 20th, but they have Cowen going third. Also has us passing on Ellis for an even smaller left winger.

Edit: how about Taylor Doherty? 6'8", 218 lbs.!

Won't work....... it says he has "A strong willingness to compete". That coupled with his size is a HUGE turn-off to the FO. <_<

I agree 100%. Regardless, the Sabres cannot stick with this current roster to open next season. And, I know that wont happen by default. There's no personality or attitude.

We saw Gerbe, Weber, Mancari & Gragnani. I am not sure any of them are the shot in the arm needed next year. <_<

I feel pretty confident they're not, seeing as neither of them are the type of player that will adress this teams problem - Laziness and spinal abscence.

This one must have been done earlier in the season, because we are drafting 20th, but they have Cowen going third. Also has us passing on Ellis for an even smaller left winger.

Edit: how about Taylor Doherty? 6'8", 218 lbs.!

:lol:

I've gone from checking the conference standings to checking the league standings lately. I believe we are 13th today BTW.

My definition of scoreboard watching is whether Tampa wins or loses.

Archived