Sabres Will Make The Playoffs

CallawaySabres

I actually liked what I saw last night because I know what this team is. I don't expect much more than the way they played last night. They will always have a few REALLY dumb mistakes and it all hinges on if those turn into goals against them. Get ready for a month and a half of torturous, up and down, depressing, exhilerating, fun and nail biting hockey. Just look at it as an extra month and a half of playoffs!

All they need to do is stay above the 9 spot until Vanek gets back. So far, they have done that. It would have been great to get 2 points last night but oh well. They played a solid team on the road and had it tied with 6 minutes to go. Huge game against the Rangers tomorrow and I said that I would buy 2 tickets if I saw the effort there last night (win or lose). Well, I am going and looking forward giving it to the blue shirts. Montreal and NY are in TROUBLE so just be glad you are not a fan of those teams.

You will enjoy this team MUCH more the sooner you realize who they are.....they don't get blown out by ANYBODY and chances are, they will be playing a little over 500 hockey the remainder of the season. The economy is depressing enough....let's enjoy the game

The only good news that I can take from the time since Vanek went out (basically, the last six games) is that we could have done worse and the teams around us could have done much better. If you look at the five teams around us comparing their points after 53 games (game before Vanek got hurt) to their points after 59 (where all but the Panthers are), you find:

Montreal: +3 --> +1

Rangers: +2 --> +2

Panthers: -1 --> -1 to +1 (depending on their 59th game)

Penguins: -6 --> -4

Carolina: -4 --> -3

So, we gained a point on Montreal and lost 0-2 points on the others (the last two changed in the 59th games with our loss and their wins.) Basically, the middle six (#5-#10) just got tighter. Considering that we've gone 2-3-1 during those six games (giving up 7 possible points), we could have lost a lot more. Obviously, we can't keep that up without losing more ground. Hopefully, with Goose back, we'll get a more consistent set of lines than we had in the first five of those games (last night was a transition game, so we'll see what happens starting Saturday.) The last five games before the deadline are crucial since three of them are four-point games, one is a bottom feeder (have to get those points) and one is a WC team that we have to find a way to beat (we lost to them in their house, but have to win at home.) Hopefully, Darcy/Lindy will see enough that the team makes a trade for another top-six forward before the deadline. With Vanek out possibly through most of March, they need that boost even more than they already did.

The only good news that I can take from the time since Vanek went out (basically, the last six games) is that we could have done worse and the teams around us could have done much better. If you look at the five teams around us comparing their points after 53 games (game before Vanek got hurt) to their points after 59 (where all but the Panthers are), you find:

So, we gained a point on Montreal and lost 0-2 points on the others (the last two changed in the 59th games with our loss and their wins.) Basically, the middle six (#5-#10) just got tighter. Considering that we've gone 2-3-1 during those six games (giving up 7 possible points), we could have lost a lot more. Obviously, we can't keep that up without losing more ground. Hopefully, with Goose back, we'll get a more consistent set of lines than we had in the first five of those games (last night was a transition game, so we'll see what happens starting Saturday.) The last five games before the deadline are crucial since three of them are four-point games, one is a bottom feeder (have to get those points) and one is a WC team that we have to find a way to beat (we lost to them in their house, but have to win at home.) Hopefully, Darcy/Lindy will see enough that the team makes a trade for another top-six forward before the deadline. With Vanek out possibly through most of March, they need that boost even more than they already did.

you are solid poster Carp!

Good post, Carp. I think I'm more disappointed that they haven't capitalized on the struggles of the Rangers & Canadiens than anything else. The recent home losses to Ottawa & Carolina bother me more than last night's loss because of the listless play....those are at least 2 points they should have come away with if the effort was there.

As for the deadline, I think they need to pull the trigger for a top 6 forward right now....pending what they'd have to give up, etc. If Vanek is out for, say, another 3 weeks, that's too long to try and stay afloat with what they have now. I agree with Callaway that they'll be fine as long as they're still in a playoff spot when Vanek returns, but I think they need to do something to help maintain that standing.

He's already come out and said it will be at least 4 weeks from now and possibly longer. These guys are in trouble.

No, he said that the initial estimate of 3-4 weeks (total) might be too short; 5-6 weeks may be more likely. Tomorrow marks the two-week mark, so that means that the initial estimate of 1-2 weeks from now is probably too short; 3-4 weeks may be more likely. Basically, somewhere near the middle of March (14th-21st.)

the glass half-full view is that we haven't lost much ground. the glass half-empty view is that we've squandered an opportunity to gain some ground/create some distance; here's hoping that doesn't come back to bite us.

Exactly. Could have been better; could have been worse. Definitely a bad time to have Vanek (and Gaustad before last night) out of the lineup.

I've had this ongoing discussion with one of my co-workers about how the sabres, and bills actually, play the next game after a win. When they play teams like Toronto they should win as they did and not have struggled in the first 10 or so minutes. The problem is that when they play teams that are better the next game, they seem to always try to do the same things that they did the game before and expect to have the same game plan for every team they play.

I understand the concept of having a system for the team and they go over their game films and whatnot, but it always seems to be the exact same game plan when they step out onto the field/ice and usually end up taking a quarter/period to realize that it doesn't work and they need to try something different.

This is what I saw last night with the way that philly was able to pinch with their D and had a great fore check going on along the boards and behind the net. They really couldn't do much about it until the second and even then it wasn't much better.

Regardless, I still expect the sabres to make the playoffs as well if they can get their D to play and some other players to show up in the absence of Vanek.

Miller, you just keep doin your thing.

I think someone got the new version Excel for X-mas. :thumbsup:

Archived