What has happened to the PK???

LabattBlue

In the last 9 games they have given up 11 PP goals in 28 attempts for a PK % of 60.8

In the 7 games before that, they were better, but still below par, giving up 7 PP goals in 35 attempts for a PK % of 80.0

Taking away these last 16 games combined, the Sabres had given up only 22 goals in 174 attempts for a PK % of 87.4

Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse...what happened?

A few points...

- Butler has seen more time on the PK.

- The Marlboro Man is slipping badly.

- Rivet is caught standing around in front of the net watching the puck instead of taking the man. I've noticed this numerous times.

- Lack of clutch goaltending at times.

In the last 9 games they have given up 11 PP goals in 28 attempts for a PK % of 60.8

In the 7 games before that, they were better, but still below par, giving up 7 PP goals in 35 attempts for a PK % of 80.0

Taking away these last 16 games combined, the Sabres had given up only 22 goals in 174 attempts for a PK % of 87.4

Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse...what happened?

A few points...

- Butler has seen more time on the PK.

- The Marlboro Man is slipping badly.

- Rivet is caught standing around in front of the net watching the puck instead of taking the man. I've noticed this numerous times.

- Lack of clutch goaltending at times.

Butler has been one the more solid D men of late its Rivet, Teppo and Lydman that seem to be standing around and making dumb plays. Our major problem is we have no one on D being or being able to be physical ( maybe Spacek ) too many times puck is dumped behind our goal and we dont have anyone that can knock people off the puck.

Who is the Marlboro Man ( sorry might be slow this AM )

Miller made some great saves when we got to running around in our zone however he did look a little shaky last night.

Two things I saw last night, one you said Marlboro Man is just FINISHED. Thanks for clearing the puck behind the net and letting them score that 4th goal last night (I think).

Second players have clearly stopped playing, skating, moving there feet or what have you. Jochen stood out last night in my eyes.

Butler got beaten pretty badly the first few games that he was on the PK, but not so much in the recent games. It's not easy to track without going game-by-game, but it seems like Pommer and Hecht have been the PK forwards for several of those goals (they were for Toronto's goal and again last night.) Goose has been one of our best PKers and was missed during the last couple of games, but after one great play by him at the start of the PK last night, he changed immediately. I would have like him to stay out there longer. Also, Kaleta has been very good on the PK (as long as he doesn't lose his stick), but was in the press box for some reason.

Who is the Marlboro Man ( sorry might be slow this AM )

Teppo

Butler got beaten pretty badly the first few games that he was on the PK, but not so much in the recent games. It's not easy to track without going game-by-game, but it seems like Pommer and Hecht have been the PK forwards for several of those goals (they were for Toronto's goal and again last night.) Goose has been one of our best PKers and was missed during the last couple of games, but after one great play by him at the start of the PK last night, he changed immediately. I would have like him to stay out there longer. Also, Kaleta has been very good on the PK (as long as he doesn't lose his stick), but was in the press box for some reason.

Teppo

Would love to see the NHL start a special teams plus-minus.

Could the answer be that there is more pressure on those players who would carry this team defensively to score and it's causing a decline on the defensive end?

I would agree with this on the whole, but not on the PK. The only pressure should be to clear the damn puck, which isn't happening. We play a less aggressive PK to begin with, allowing the point men a lot of room. That's fine with me, but if you're going to play that way, there's NO reason why we can't clear the puck on a rebound from said pointmen's shots. It's laziness, along with lack of initiative. 4 guys standing around waiting for someone else to make a play.

I understand we're trying to eliminate the passing aspect of opponent's PP's, but I'd much rather see us more aggressive, attacking the puck, and rotating our PK's. To me, this would keep our legs moving and perhaps the aggressive play would motivate guys more.

Archived