Trade deadline comments

Buffalo Wings

Roby, Rayzor, & Harry Neale were all asked what - if anything - the Sabres would go for at the trad deadline. All three of them pretty much said the Sabres don't need anyone in particular and that the current roster is fine.

I can think of at least 3 of you who disagree with that, but might like how Rayzor said they could use a team psychologist. :thumbsup:

Roby, Rayzor, & Harry Neale were all asked what - if anything - the Sabres would go for at the trad deadline. All three of them pretty much said the Sabres don't need anyone in particular and that the current roster is fine.

Was Quinn standing off camera with pink slips in hand? :D

I can think of at least 3 of you who disagree with that, but might like how Rayzor said they could use a team psychologist. :thumbsup:

The roster is fine if the plan is to somehow sleepwalk into the playoffs. They've taken three of the last four games off in the heart of a playoff run. I would say Regier should make a move to send a message to the team. At this point I don't think they care enough to get any message.

The roster is fine if the plan is to somehow sleepwalk into the playoffs. They've taken three of the last four games off in the heart of a playoff run. I would say Regier should make a move to send a message to the team. At this point I don't think they care enough to get any message.

Who do you move to send the proper message that you want sent?

And what do you want in return.

At this point, I think if you want to send a real message to the team, you put Pomminstein in the Press box for a game or 2, Show the rest of the team that it doesn't matter who you are or what you make, if your play is not where it should be, someone else will take your place. If Ruff is willing to pull Miller in a game where it was hardly his fault the team was down 2-0 in the first, why not bench some of the bigger name forwards?

I saw them make those comments and I couldn't disagree more. This is not a team that has the ability to do damage in the playoffs without some roster tweaking. My guess is that they were just covering for the organisation and Regier cause they know its most likely the only moves he makes are for reclaimation projects (like Bernier) or to dump a player for something of value before they lose them as a FA

We can talk about benching all we want,but at the heart of this problem is more than just underacheiving "core" players. We have a flawed makeup to our team. Since the 06/07 season,we've been all offense. Regier has a small group offensive forwards,who for the most part cannot play well defensivly. We're "rebuilding" our team based on offense. Its plain dumb. The guys we count on to score goals have enough trouble doing that. You throw them out there, having to go up against top lines night in and night out,and it makes it even harder for them. And you want those guys to also play solid defensivly? Granted losing Vanek doesn't help. But even with Vanek we have problems scoring.

How many third line guys do there role on this team? Gaustad and thats it. Guys like Kotalik,Mc Carthur,and now Paille dont contribute anything consistently enough to take pressure off of the top 2 lines. It leaves a burden for Roy and Connolly & co. to carry.

The lack of physical play is amazing.

<replay Stall busting in through 4 SABRES here>

We count on Gaustad,Kaleta,Mair,and sometimes Paille to deliver all the hits from the forwards. And Rivet and Lydman for the d men. How many more times is the Goose and Kaleta going to get hurt before some of the other guys step up and take the body? Its no surprise to me that Gaustad is out at least once a month. You cant have one guy make 3 to 5 hits a night ,when we got guys like Kotalik. Someone who weighs more than the Goose,but might only get 3 hits A WEEK.

How many times are we going to come off of big wins only to be flat the next night? Is it too hard for Regier to notice that the lack of leadership has us out of focus? I dont think we would be so listless if we had just 2 more veteran players on the roster. 2 more vets who have exp. in the league would keep a winning atmosphere in the locker room. We've seen it before. Drury and Griere would not let a losing vibe creep in during the end of the 06 season. And we quietly moved into 4th place. Dru and Briere led us to 1st the next. Our young guys dont know the right way to handle adveristy. And with only a handful of Vets,it certaintly doesn't improve the situation.

I really hope Regier has a deal lined up that would bring a Tkachuk or Recchi onto the roster. It would only help the team. And it sounds alot better than sitting on the roster,hoping things turn out,and holding onto deadweight.

Quote from Larry Quinn in regards to making a trade:

"We've only had a handful of games where we've been able to see our team completly healthy,so it is hard to make trading judgements"

I really think that any message will fall on deaf ears.

The first move I would make would be waiving Andrew Peters. He is very popular with his teammates from what people say. I would use him to send the message. Maybe costing a friend his job will reach some in the locker room. That is, if they actually care.

"We've only had a handful of games where we've been able to see our team completly healthy,so it is hard to make trading judgements"

Someone needs to tell Larry that no team in the NHL is completely healthy. He should also be told that you don't need Tallinder or Max in the lineup to evaluate the other players. That is a lame excuse. You would think a franchise that seems to specializes in excuses could come up with a better one.

Someone needs to tell Larry that no team in the NHL is completely healthy. He should also be told that you don't need Tallinder or Max in the lineup to evaluate the other players. That is a lame excuse. You would think a franchise that seems to specializes in excuses could come up with a better one.

Lmao,thats pretty much what i said friday night. He was on Schoop and the Bulldog and they asked him what role the sabres might play at the deadline. This was his response. How many teams stay completly healthy all season? Its a joke,and his tone was even worse. He said it in an optimistic way. Almost as if he wanted to say we wont be altering the team until august.

And even then what will they bring onto the roster? Gerbe,Mancari,Butler and Weber? I'm sure they'll fix the problems.

We can talk about benching all we want,but at the heart of this problem is more than just underacheiving "core" players. We have a flawed makeup to our team. Since the 06/07 season,we've been all offense. Regier has a small group offensive forwards,who for the most part cannot play well defensivly. We're "rebuilding" our team based on offense. Its plain dumb. The guys we count on to score goals have enough trouble doing that. You throw them out there, having to go up against top lines night in and night out,and it makes it even harder for them. And you want those guys to also play solid defensivly? Granted losing Vanek doesn't help. But even with Vanek we have problems scoring.

How many third line guys do there role on this team? Gaustad and thats it. Guys like Kotalik,Mc Carthur,and now Paille dont contribute anything consistently enough to take pressure off of the top 2 lines. It leaves a burden for Roy and Connolly & co. to carry.

The lack of physical play is amazing.

<replay Stall busting in through 4 SABRES here>

We count on Gaustad,Kaleta,Mair,and sometimes Paille to deliver all the hits from the forwards. And Rivet and Lydman for the d men. How many more times is the Goose and Kaleta going to get hurt before some of the other guys step up and take the body? Its no surprise to me that Gaustad is out at least once a month. You cant have one guy make 3 to 5 hits a night ,when we got guys like Kotalik. Someone who weighs more than the Goose,but might only get 3 hits A WEEK.

How many times are we going to come off of big wins only to be flat the next night? Is it too hard for Regier to notice that the lack of leadership has us out of focus? I dont think we would be so listless if we had just 2 more veteran players on the roster. 2 more vets who have exp. in the league would keep a winning atmosphere in the locker room. We've seen it before. Drury and Griere would not let a losing vibe creep in during the end of the 06 season. And we quietly moved into 4th place. Dru and Briere led us to 1st the next. Our young guys dont know the right way to handle adveristy. And with only a handful of Vets,it certaintly doesn't improve the situation.

I really hope Regier has a deal lined up that would bring a Tkachuk or Recchi onto the roster. It would only help the team. And it sounds alot better than sitting on the roster,hoping things turn out,and holding onto deadweight.

Hard to say that after being shutout. I disagree. This team needs MORE offense. Please name a consistent offensive threat besides Roy and Vanek.

Darcy should shake things up. Trade someone, send someone down and bench someone.

DR won't do anything at all. He will sit back and wait, and wait and wait. Then when we are all screaming when Montreal adds Vinny Leclavier we will all be P.O'd DR didn't make a move.

DR won't do anything at all. He will sit back and wait, and wait and wait. Then when we are all screaming when Montreal adds Vinny Leclavier we will all be P.O'd DR didn't make a move.

I want the Sabres to make moves as does everyone else. I don't think a Lecavalier type move helps the Sabres as much as the Habs. I think the Habs are a better team and Vinny could put them into the finals. I'm looking for the Sabres to make moves to clean house and change the culture of this team. If they end up in the playoffs that is bonus. There isn't one single move out there that can jump the Sabres into instant contender status. The Sabres are too far away from that at this point.

Archived