Sabres, NHL considered postponement

Sluglord

In the wake of the crash of Continental Flight 3407, the Buffalo Sabres had brief discussions with the National Hockey League about postponing tonight's game in HSBC Arena but ultimately decided the show would go on.

Speaking to the media during the first intermission of tonight's game against the San Jose Sharks, Sabres minority owner Larry Quinn said he took a call from NHL Vice President Bill Daly to discuss the situation.

"[Daly] first asked me if any team members, team personnel or family were involved," Quinn said. "I told him I didn't know but I was pretty sure there weren't. Then I had a conversation with [General Manager Darcy Regier] to take the pulse of the team and see what he thought. We thought it was best that we play the game.

"I explained to Bill that the plane crash was in an area where a lot of our people live. Once we made sure that nobody was directly affected on the team and their families, we felt it was best for the community to play the game."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/579025.html

So, do you guys think the game should've been postponed or not?

I'm glad they held the game. We live vicariously through our shared collective grief and joy. I kept thinking as the game was winding down last night, win this for WNY. Don't win this for the Sabres, but win this for WNY.

More than anyplace I know, while not personally effected by the tragedy, were personally affected. It is incomprehensible to me understand the grief being felt by families who lost members on Thursday, but I personally ache each and every time I see/hear about it. The tears I fight back are for my community and our great sense of senseless loss.

I'm glad they held the game. We live vicariously through our shared collective grief and joy. I kept thinking as the game was winding down last night, win this for WNY. Don't win this for the Sabres, but win this for WNY.

More than anyplace I know, while not personally effected by the tragedy, were personally affected. It is incomprehensible to me understand the grief being felt by families who lost members on Wednesday, but I personally ache each and every time I see/hear about it. The tears I fight back are for my community and our great sense of senseless loss.

Well said. :thumbsup:

I'm also glad they held the game and you can't help but feel that someone or a group of individuals were watching over the Sabres and helping them find a way. Not only was this a huge win for the standings, but as many have already said, it was a nice lift for the community for a few hours.

Well said. :thumbsup:

I'm also glad they held the game and you can't help but feel that someone or a group of individuals were watching over the Sabres and helping them find a way. Not only was this a huge win for the standings, but as many have already said, it was a nice lift for the community for a few hours.

The moment of silence before the national anthem was very emotional and powerful. It's tough to know how to give back during a tragedy, but it was incredible to have a sense of unity for that moment while realizing that everyone's heart was in the same place. (With the exception of one baby's shriek for a second or two, there was absolute silence.)

I'm also glad the game was played as scheduled. Being able to watch a game and especially the way it ended was a good way to get your mind off of things even if it was only for a few hours. If the Sabres postponed the game what would most people watch? the crash footage over and over... it's too depressing. Thankfully the Sabres provided some much needed entertainment, a way to get away from CNN or MSNBC (or the local stations for you guys in Buffalo)

Sorry I missed this thread earlier...

Regardless on how far away in the world (or how close) we lived to the crash site, this had to hit every Buffalo native's hearts and nerves. We could have been as far away as India and it still would have impacted us.

In spite of this tragedy, I am thankful that the Sabres pulled out the win not just for them, but for every WNY resident and native out there.

Archived