Jussi Jokinen clears waivers

carpandean

Lightning center/winger Jussi Jokinen cleared waivers at noon today. I'm really surprised that nobody picked him up. He's got a lot of offensive potential/skill, is good on faceoffs (52% in each of the last three years) and is pretty good in shootouts. He hasn't clicked as well in Tampa as he did in Dallas, but I could see him doing more on a different team. I figured that he would be a potential trade-deadline dealt player, but nobody even wanted him for nothing.

Headed To Minors; Maybe not?

"Jokinen is expected to be assigned to the minors and then sometime in the near future, possibly today or Friday, be placed on re-entry waivers.

Lawton also indicated on Wednesday after Jokinen was sent back to Tampa that he had been contacted by a team showing interest in acquiring Jokinen. Since he cleared regular waivers, the said team would likely take Jokinen on the way back up, which would leave the claiming team responsible for only half of his remaining salary, leaving the Lightning still responsible for the other half. Jokinen is in the last year of a deal that pays him $1.875 million and is set to be a restricted free agent at the end of the season."

• 3 months later...

:doh:

5 goals in his last 6 playoff games and 6 goals in his last 8 playoff games, including two game winners (one with 0.2 seconds left), one late game tying goal and the go-ahead goal in the third period tonight (2-1 with 13:10 left in the third.) Guess we know which Jokinen is a playoff performer.

Edit: add an assist on the cushion goal (now 3-1 with 5:00 left.)

Edit 2: yup, it's three games winners now.

Jokinen is a beast in these playoffs. The "late game tying goal" was not just a tying goal, but it was the goal that tied it up in Game 7 in Jersey. I am not sure if he would have helped Buffalo make the playoffs or not, but carpandean you're right, Jokinen deserved more credit around the league. He could have done no worse then Dominic Moore besides faceoffs since he's a winger. But i've been very impressed with Jokinen in these playoffs.

Jokinen is a beast in these playoffs. The "late game tying goal" was not just a tying goal, but it was the goal that tied it up in Game 7 in Jersey. I am not sure if he would have helped Buffalo make the playoffs or not, but carpandean you're right, Jokinen deserved more credit around the league. He could have done no worse then Dominic Moore besides faceoffs since he's a winger. But i've been very impressed with Jokinen in these playoffs.

He's actually played both center and wing. He had taken nearly 300 faceoffs in each of the previous two season and jumped to over 700 this year (at 53.6%.) Definitely a natural wingers, but can handle the pivot spot when needed.

I mostly bring this up with joking hindsight, as nobody could have expected him to do what he has done during these playoffs, but I do think that his time in Tampa hurt his reputation. Being acquired by Carolina is probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

Yep, just confirms for me that players were available that could have helped this team more than just the Dominic moore trade and it wouldn;t have been all that expensive. Just took some good judgement and a willingness to trade.. Just look at what some of those trades has done for teams still playing(guerin-pittsburgh, carolina got more than Jussi just before the deadline, Boston-Recchi,.... others I'm too lazy to look up right now....

Yep, just confirms for me that players were available that could have helped this team more than just the Dominic moore trade and it wouldn;t have been all that expensive. Just took some good judgement and a willingness to trade.. Just look at what some of those trades has done for teams still playing(guerin-pittsburgh, carolina got more than Jussi just before the deadline, Boston-Recchi,.... others I'm too lazy to look up right now....

I was surprised Jokkinen cleared waivers, but I don't think him or Guerin would have really helped the Sabres.

Jokkinen is kind a tweener for lines.....something the Sabres have a little too much of.

Guerin has been a defensive liability, but gives some depth.

Carolina is the only surprise, they were such a bad team in Jan. that the re-tooling really took off.

I would say getting Cole back was really the key for them.

Lots of credit to Jim Rutherford. The guy makes about 1 move for each line every year through trade, free agency, or scrap heap.

Archived