[OT] Need Recommendations on a New Wireless Router

Bmwolf21

I posted this on the TSW Consumer Digest board, but wanted to see if I got any more feedback here.

I feel like my current broadband wireless router might be on its last legs - it's now dropping the signal much more frequently, as opposed to the rare loss of signal. I am going to try to update the firmware, but I feel like I need to look at replacing it soon. I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL that we bought a couple years ago. I can't spend a lot out of pocket, so I am looking in the $50-75 range, and would appreciate any suggestions on brands to consider/avoid, etc. Keep in mind that while I feel relatively confident in my ability to figure it all out and get it running, my technical expertise is pretty limited, so I am looking for something that is relatively "plug and play"/easy setup. (I also have no desire to risk bricking my router by loading third-party firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato, because I feel like that setup is going to be mostly over my head and will result in a wireless router laying in the snow, surrounded by broken glass, and me frantically trying to patch a hole in my window.)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

I posted this on the TSW Consumer Digest board, but wanted to see if I got any more feedback here.

I feel like my current broadband wireless router might be on its last legs - it's now dropping the signal much more frequently, as opposed to the rare loss of signal. I am going to try to update the firmware, but I feel like I need to look at replacing it soon. I currently have a Linksys WRT54GL that we bought a couple years ago. I can't spend a lot out of pocket, so I am looking in the $50-75 range, and would appreciate any suggestions on brands to consider/avoid, etc. Keep in mind that while I feel relatively confident in my ability to figure it all out and get it running, my technical expertise is pretty limited, so I am looking for something that is relatively "plug and play"/easy setup. (I also have no desire to risk bricking my router by loading third-party firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato, because I feel like that setup is going to be mostly over my head and will result in a wireless router laying in the snow, surrounded by broken glass, and me frantically trying to patch a hole in my window.)

I just went with Frontier Internet, and they hooked me up with a wireless router. So, the wireless router that I went out and bought when I was with Time Warner is not needed. I was going to throw it on Ebay. If you give me a couple days (out on business) I will let you know the LinkSys model and specs. I paid around $135 for it about a year ago, so it's pretty modern. We can work out the price, but I cannot envision it would be more than $50, so the price is right.

D link makes a nice wireless N router at about 39$ at most stores. No need to upgrade all the rest of the wireless stuff but Wireless N can get ya higher than wired speeds if you will eventually need them. Linksys are overrated and expensive for what ya can get from dlink ( I dont work for d link )

I had a Linksys for a while (before they were bought by Cisco) and didn't have many problems at all. I bought a cheap-o wireless router a few years ago - eHome Networking, who I think is either out of business or was bought by someone else - and it's been pretty solid so far.

D-Link and Netgear aren't bad choices at all. You may want to peruse bestbuy.com to see what they have, but those two are the most popular in the industry behind Linksys.

I'm a network engineer and have always preferred Cisco equipment, but I've heard stories of Linksys routers being less reliable once Cisco took them over.

I've owned Linksys and Belkin. Linksys lasted years. It went down regulalry, though, and required a manual reset. Not difficult, but annoying. My one year old Belkin is easier to install, has better support, and superior reliability. I am not a techie. I did everything myself.

I just bought several Rosewill routers for my office and have been very happy---nice software, work really well...

here is a link at newegg.com---I got them while they were on rebate

Rosewill Router

I've got a Netgear WGR614 v9, which has been easy to use and very reliable. I had nothing but trouble with the 4 Linksys routers I used to have. I also have a Netgear wired router to feed my 100Base-T connections, and that's rock solid, as well.

I seem to remember you recommending that I toss the Linksys and get a Netgear in the past.

I've owned Linksys and Belkin. Linksys lasted years. It went down regulalry, though, and required a manual reset. Not difficult, but annoying. My one year old Belkin is easier to install, has better support, and superior reliability. I am not a techie. I did everything myself.

I feel like this is the case with mine - it was great for a while, but lately I seem to need to reset it more and more often. And with the wife working from home I need the wireless signal to be more consistent and not so intermittent.

I'm still weighing my options, since I'm still waiting for the wife's company to decide whether they have to order it from their supplier (probably Staples) or if we can buy one and expense it.

Here's my recommendation on what NOT to get: Airlink brand. Price is super cheap but you get what you pay for. I works well as an wireless access point but then it's connected to an old 4-port Linksys wired router that's been good for years now. Avoid that brand.

Archived