Unbalanced Attack

bob_sauve28

From Today's News:

So Vanek has 18, meaning the Sabres have gotten 38 of their 65 goals from just four players ? Vanek, Jason Pominville (eight), Derek Roy and Clarke MacArthur (six each). That?s 58.5 percent of the offense, making the Sabres one of the most unbalanced attacks in the league heading into tonight?s visit by Nashville.

I suspect Hecht will start contributing more soon, and the rest of the forwards need to get something done.

Yup. Very disappointing. I am not sure a trade would fix this problem though unless they trade for a rental player. If we get a player in a trade, it going to be another risk player because we don't have too much to trade right now. Another fix is try playing Nathan Gerbe for several games. The dude did have 2 goals in pre-season.

But, i do remember several discussions in the off-season when we discussed how well the Sabres will do this season, we all said the guys that will make or break the team will be Drew Stafford, Ales Kotalik and Tim Connolly's health. Stafford besides a few good games, has been a bum. Kotalik started off amazingly hot, but has cooled off alot. Before getting hurt, Alko only had 1 goal in previous 13 games. And we all know Connolly's problem. I do believe we have 3 very solid star players, a defense that on most nights can handle itself and solid role players (MacArthur, Paille, Goose, Mair). It's the middle guys, who are failing the team. That, with the lack of scoring from the defensmen. I mean, 3 goals by the blueliners combined? Is that a league low? It's gotta be.

And Hecht has picked a bad year to have an off-year. I think we all expected another 25goal-ish season from him. Not sure if he'll hit 20 this season.

And Hecht has picked a bad year to have an off-year. I think we all expected another 25goal-ish season from him. Not sure if he'll hit 20 this season.

Missing 10 games thanks to the broken thumb definitely doesn't help. You have to wonder how long that kind of injury can linger. That could go a long way towards explaining his low goal total.

Yup. Very disappointing. I am not sure a trade would fix this problem though unless they trade for a rental player. If we get a player in a trade, it going to be another risk player because we don't have too much to trade right now. Another fix is try playing Nathan Gerbe for several games. The dude did have 2 goals in pre-season.

But, i do remember several discussions in the off-season when we discussed how well the Sabres will do this season, we all said the guys that will make or break the team will be Drew Stafford, Ales Kotalik and Tim Connolly's health. Stafford besides a few good games, has been a bum. Kotalik started off amazingly hot, but has cooled off alot. Before getting hurt, Alko only had 1 goal in previous 13 games. And we all know Connolly's problem. I do believe we have 3 very solid star players, a defense that on most nights can handle itself and solid role players (MacArthur, Paille, Goose, Mair). It's the middle guys, who are failing the team. That, with the lack of scoring from the defensmen. I mean, 3 goals by the blueliners combined? Is that a league low? It's gotta be.

I think Hecht will start coming on. He was doing good before he was hurt and hasn't retured so well. It was a hand injury so that can be a real problem for control, shooting and passing. He might have come back too soon or something. Hopefully he will start to turn it around.

No offense, but why would you expect a ~25 goal season when he's cracked the 20-goal barrier all of once in his career? His career high is 22 goals, scored last year.

Hecht is generally a 15-19 goal scorer. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

You guys do have a point on Hecht. But, in all reality, i don't truly buy into it. He has had his chances. And i'm sure coming off an injury isn't easy. But, he's scored only 2 goals in 13 games. The first, was a very lucky goal. Sure it was "vintage Hecht" but don't tell me that most of that play he didn't rely on luck. The second goal, was a nice shot but a very poor goaltending by Tim Thomas. Both of his goals should have been saved.

As for expecting 25 goals.... the guy did score 22 last season like you said. And this season i felt like he had to grow on his role with this team. I felt like in 2005/06 and our President's trophy team, he was a great role player, and maybe one of the best role players in the league, however, last season and this season, i felt like he needed to step up a bit scoring. Even if 25 is too high, push it down to 20. If you didn't expect 20 goals out of Hecht coming in, then you're more then liking lying to me or just had low expectations for Hecht and the Sabres. But, me saying i don't know if he'll hit 20 was a bit generous too. Will he hit 15?

Here is the list of teams that have at least one player in the top 4 for Goals scored (13 goals)

The Flyers top 4 account for 63%!

Red Wings 54.9%

Penguins 55.7%

Caps 54.5%

Sharks 48.4%

Devils 54.8%

Ducks 48%

Black Hawks 52.1%

Bruins 45%

Predators 51.5%

So the Sabres are a little high compared to most of that bunch. Get another 5 goals out of the non-top 4 Sabres and they are in the 54% range like half the others on the list (and they probably would have a couple more wins...)

Archived