Is this the year?

wjag

1. Is this the year that Roy scores 40 goals?

2. Is this the year that Miller gets five shutouts?

3. Is this the year that the Sabres protect Miller in the goal?

4. Is this the year that the Buffalo PP clicks at > 20%

5. Is this the year that Max returns to form?

6. Is this the year that Lalime gets 20 starts?

7. Is this the year that a rookie makes the team?

8. Is this the year that the Sabres return to form in the Shootout?

9. Is this the year that Connolloy plays 82 games?

10. Is this the year that Ruff wins Coach of the Year?

11. Is this the year that the Sabres return to the Playoffs?

12. Is this the year that the D shows up?

1. Is this the year that Roy scores 40 goals? No

2. Is this the year that Miller gets five shutouts? No

3. Is this the year that the Sabres protect Miller in the goal? Define "protect"?

4. Is this the year that the Buffalo PP clicks at > 20% Not with Gaustad on one of the top 2 units and Pominville's talent being wasted on the point.

5. Is this the year that Max returns to form? No. The sooner he is traded, the better off the Sabres will be.

6. Is this the year that Lalime gets 20 starts? I would like this, but Lindy's track record with backup goalies says no.

7. Is this the year that a rookie makes the team? Are Weber and Sekera rookies? If so, one of them will make the team. Outside shot of Butler and Gerbe also making the team right out of the gate.

8. Is this the year that the Sabres return to form in the Shootout? Maybe. Improved play from Miller in the shootouts is equally important.

9. Is this the year that Connolloy plays 82 games? No

10. Is this the year that Ruff wins Coach of the Year? No

11. Is this the year that the Sabres return to the Playoffs? YES!

1. Is this the year that Roy scores 40 goals? No.

2. Is this the year that Miller gets five shutouts? Maybe. Depends on no. 3, 6 and 12.

3. Is this the year that the Sabres protect Miller in the goal? Probably not.

4. Is this the year that the Buffalo PP clicks at > 20%? They have the weapons to do so, it will depend on the blue liners and PP QB.

5. Is this the year that Max returns to form? Not likely.

6. Is this the year that Lalime gets 20 starts? Hopefully right in that ballpark.

7. Is this the year that a rookie makes the team? Not out of camp but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gerbe up for a significant portion.

8. Is this the year that the Sabres return to form in the Shootout? They better - they have too much talent to perform the way they did last year.

9. Is this the year that Connolloy plays 82 games? No.

10. Is this the year that Ruff wins Coach of the Year? No.

11. Is this the year that the Sabres return to the Playoffs? Yes.

12. Is this the year that the D shows up? Define "shows up." They'll be better, and once Weber is in the top-6 they'll be a balanced, finesse and physical defense.

1. Is this the year that Roy scores 40 goals? Yes.. I believe his talent is just starting to crest.

2. Is this the year that Miller gets five shutouts? No.. Not in his DNA

3. Is this the year that the Sabres protect Miller in the goal? Yes.. There is a new sheriff in town..

4. Is this the year that the Buffalo PP clicks at > 20% Yes... I have them at 22%

5. Is this the year that Max returns to form? Yes... I think we are already seeing it...

6. Is this the year that Lalime gets 20 starts? No.. Old habits die hard. I think around 15 is more likely

7. Is this the year that a rookie makes the team? Definite maybe... Gerbe, Gerbe, Gerbe.. I would love to see it..

8. Is this the year that the Sabres return to form in the Shootout? No.. Same players as last year....

9. Is this the year that Connolloy plays 82 games? No... Man is made from fine china..

10. Is this the year that Ruff wins Coach of the Year? .. No... Just no...

11. Is this the year that the Sabres return to the Playoffs? Yes.

12. Is this the year that the D shows up? Yes... See 3 + Weber and Sekera

No. Not his game. But I could see 31G + 59A.

No. I agree that it's not in his DNA. It's also not in this team's.

Yes. Rivet's attitude will be contagious. Don't expect it from everyone, but expect much more of it overall.

Yes.

Yes.

No, but 17 is quite possible, based on what Lindy said recently. It will depend on how Lalime does when he's in there.

If Sekera counts, then yes -- he will be top 6. I'd also expect Weber to play 30 games or so and Gerbe to play about 20 (although this number could rise substantially if Max is traded). I don't expect any other new guys to play more than 10.

Yes. I think Vanek is a key here.

No, but he will play over 72.

No.

Yes.

Yes, although I think Tallinder might fall off the table.

[/quote]

Probably another 30(+/-) goal season, but I could see his assists going even higher. He looked to be on form during the preseason so far.

For his career maybe, but not in one season.

Definitely more than last year. Rivet will start the trend, but Goose seems to be angry this preseason.

I think that would take a fundamental change in PP strategy. I hope they do.

I actually am starting to see Max as going to a form that we haven't seen. Sure, he'll still have some giveaways -- he's done that his whole career, so any form that he is returning to would have that anyway -- but I see him rounding out his game a little more. Based on preseason, I would expect better backchecking, more physical play in the corners and a lot more assists than goals. Not sure it will be enough for him to stay, but he did seem to get the message that he has to shape up or ship out.

Close to it. I expect Miller to play in the low to mid 60's.

As said above, it depends on what you mean by a rookie. I don't expect many surprises day 1. Sekera and Kaleta will likely start, Weber will be in Portland (but called up quickly) and MacArthur will be in the pressbox or have to clear waivers.

Better, but maybe not dominant.

Probably not, but 70+ would be nice.

Only if we end up being a cup contender again. We weren't that bad last year, so it would take a lot of improvement.

I sure hope so. I think we should. We're a better team than last year and just missed it then. Maturity/leadership cost them dearly in those 1-2 goal games last year. Having Teppo and Rivet, plus a roster that now knows the awful taste of missing them, should help overcome that.

Again, definitely more than last year. Rivet, Teppo, Sekera, Weber (when he come up) and no Kalinin will all help. Plus, I think we will have better matched pairs than last year (where we had 6 left-handed offensive defensemen.)

For his career maybe, but not in one season.

Sorry carp, you missed the boat on this one. He's already all the way up to 7! :nana:

FWIW, based on his last three years, he should get four SO's this year.

Sorry carp, you missed the boat on this one. He's already all the way up to 7! :nana:

FWIW, based on his last three years, he should get four SO's this year.

Lol. I knew it was low, but was too lazy to look up exactly how many he had.

I'll be surprised if last season doesn't remain his career high. As nfreeman said, not only is it not what he does, it's not how this team operates either. If he played for a trap team, I'd see him getting more, but not on an offense first, D-pinching team like the Sabres.

Lol. I knew it was low, but was too lazy to look up exactly how many he had.

I'll be surprised if last season doesn't remain his career high. As nfreeman said, not only is it not what he does, it's not how this team operates either. If he played for a trap team, I'd see him getting more, but not on an offense first, D-pinching team like the Sabres.

All true. Although some continue to discount the differences in the Sabres' style and system versus what a team like, say, the Devils run, there clearly is a difference. We'll never truly know what kind of shutout numbers he could post unless the Sabres suddenly switched to a left-wing lock or trap, although my uneducated guess would be an added .10 - .15 on the save percentage, putting him around .916 - .920, and a reduction in his GAA by .30 to .40, putting him around 2.19 - 2.29 or so.

It will be interesting to see how the D shapes up by adding Teppo and Rivet and splitting up Tallydman.

Archived