Where do you park?

Usually I park down by the University and take the train in. However, this season I will be bringing my kids to some games, who are 4 and 7, and I don't want to do the long trip on the train with them. I was thinking of parking down by the Theatre District or somewhere further down Main St. and taking the free zone train in because the kids like to do that. I just don't want the vehicle too far away for the sake of it.

Or should I just skip the train and park near the Arena? It's been many moons since I actually parked right near the Arena - my recollection is that it takes "forever" to get out. Is that still the case or is it tolerable?

Thanks!

I park in the ramp on Washington St right behind the baseball stadium. Not as pricey as the surface lots right around the arena, and easier to get out of for the most part (mainly becase I always go to the Sabres store afterwards to kill time), but I know you're bringing little ones so that probably wouldn't work. Anyway it might still be a little better.

I usually park at the lot on the corner of Michigan and Perry. It puts you close to the arena, but it is expensive ($10?) and a pain in the ass to get out of after the game. I'm liking the idea of parking just off Main and taking the train down.

i've got kids that age as well, and i'd advise that you go with otto's spot -- that's where i go -- i believe it's actually the parking for the hsbc tower? in any case, it's the big underground lot that is *just* past the ballpark on washington -- it's not as expensive as the other lots, is not too bad of a trek in just about any kind of weather, and, i think, puts you enough beyond a lot of the bottlenecks when the game's over (although that may depend on which way you're trying to go when the game's over -- i head toward ken-ton/amherst).

i think i'd counsel against parking down by shea's and training it down for this reason: getting packed in like sardines with a car full of drunken hooligans is not my idea of a good time. now, there might be less drunken rowdies on that train, depending on what night of the week you're there, but it's still a situation i'd prefer to avoid with my little ones.

If you are heading to the East or the South after the game, there is no better place to park than on Exchange St. Afterwards, zip down Exchange to Smith and you are on the 190. In addition to the parking ramp, there is the lot right behind center field and another lot next to that, under the Elm St. ramp.

i think i'd counsel against parking down by shea's and training it down for this reason: getting packed in like sardines with a car full of drunken hooligans is not my idea of a good time. now, there might be less drunken rowdies on that train, depending on what night of the week you're there, but it's still a situation i'd prefer to avoid with my little ones.

Yes, the post game, uhm, "culture" is what I would prefer to avoid with the kids, too. So, this is well-advised, thanks.

If I were to use the lots at Michigan and Perry, the only way on to the 190 is the Exchange Street ramp, right?

Yes, the post game, uhm, "culture" is what I would prefer to avoid with the kids, too. So, this is well-advised, thanks.

If I were to use the lots at Michigan and Perry, the only way on to the 190 is the Exchange Street ramp, right?

if you are going North on the 190, sometimes it's better to just stay on Michigan and take it all the way down to Cherry, take a right and you're on the 33. 33 to 198 or 290....

Michigan gets a left lane backup, but the right lane is clear to just keep going down Michigan (except for a few last minute butt-heads). I've tried both ways and the Kensington is faster, or at least keeps moving.

Under the Skyway, next to the Aud....

$5

Isn't this all construction zone now? with Aud and waterfront projects?

nope. in fact, if you're down early enough, can't you park for free on the street, in the pigeon-sh*t zones?

EDIT: once the snow starts to fly, it's nice to have a covered parking spot.

if you are going North on the 190, sometimes it's better to just stay on Michigan and take it all the way down to Cherry, take a right and you're on the 33. 33 to 198 or 290....

Michigan gets a left lane backup, but the right lane is clear to just keep going down Michigan (except for a few last minute butt-heads). I've tried both ways and the Kensington is faster, or at least keeps moving.

This sounds good. This is how we left Puck Drop. I guess no matter how you get to the game, leaving will take some time. At least getting into the truck right away allows us to turn on WGR and the kids can crash if they want to.

Archived