Skates?

McJeff215

So, for the last couple of months I've been hitting the ice trying to get the skating thing figured out. The first couple of times I spent more time on my ass than on my feet. I'm starting to get the hang of it now, however. I've got quite a bit of practice to go before I sign up for an adult league in the area.

I've been using rental skates up until now. Honestly, I'm starting to notice the limitations. They're about as sharp as a soccer ball and they're all over the ice... I'm thinking about picking a pair up over the next few weeks.

I know I can easily spend six or seven hundred on a pair of hockey skates. I don't want to do that. I want a decent pair that I can learn on and hopefully use for my first season or so in an adult league.

Do any of you skaters have any suggestions? What's a lower cost skate that's not going to be a piece of junk?

Don't know about other skates too much...but I've always had CCM's except for a pair of Bauers a long time ago. My feet seem to be unusually wide...perhaps a duck in a previous existance and the CCM's seem to fit that part the best.

So, for the last couple of months I've been hitting the ice trying. The first couple of times I spent more time on my ass than on my feet. I'm starting to get the hang of it now, however. I've got quite a bit of practice to go before I sign up for an adult league in the area.

I've been using rental skates up until now. Honestly, I'm starting to notice the limitations. They're about as sharp as a soccer ball and they're all over the ice... I'm thinking about picking a pair up over the next few weeks.

I know I can easily spend six or seven hundred on a pair of hockey skates. I don't want to do that. I want a decent pair that I can learn on and hopefully use for my first season or so in an adult league.

Do any of you skaters have any suggestions? What's a lower cost skate that's not going to be a piece of junk?

the best skate is the one that fits you. However, you are not going to know what really fits you until you get better. As you get better - you will start to notice tings about your fit that you never used to, so you will slowly work your way to a proper fitting skate.

A lot depends on weight. If you are 220 lbs, you need to buy more skate because you need more support. Price usually goes up with stiffness and inversely with weight.

My advice would be to NOT buy online. You need to be fitted by a competent skate shop. Since they don't fit like shoes, you need to have someone walk you through it. If you buy online and they don't fit (they won't - trust me), then you will be stunting your progression. Eventually you'll either give up or buy another pair of skates.

With that said, if you describe your foot I can give you a starting point. I have a very wide forefoot, so fitting skates was a tough task. I eventually landed in RBK 9ks, but still had to punch out the toe box three times.

Bauer and CCM make good skates. Mission is making a better skate these days. It will all come down to fit for you. Screw brands and just concentrate on that.

Tighter is better as you can always make a skate bigger, but you can never make it smaller. Extra socks doesn't count, no matter what mom said when you were 7.

Got me a pair of cheap nike bauer supreme selects. 50 bucks at dick's sporting good. Do the job just fine. I was looking at some Missions today to think about upgrading but a good starter pair would be a cheap pair and find a good skate sharpening shop. I go to play it again sports to get mine sharpened for 3 bucks and they do a better job than anyone else ive gone too. The only thing that will help you keep you off your ass is not being afraid of falling. I started the same way and was always falling down. Go straight into the boards and try stopping, snow plow, whatever. Just try new things, you're gonna fall when you fall and other times you'll surprise yourself.

the best skate is the one that fits you. However, you are not going to know what really fits you until you get better. As you get better - you will start to notice tings about your fit that you never used to, so you will slowly work your way to a proper fitting skate.

A lot depends on weight. If you are 220 lbs, you need to buy more skate because you need more support. Price usually goes up with stiffness and inversely with weight.

My advice would be to NOT buy online. You need to be fitted by a competent skate shop. Since they don't fit like shoes, you need to have someone walk you through it. If you buy online and they don't fit (they won't - trust me), then you will be stunting your progression. Eventually you'll either give up or buy another pair of skates.

With that said, if you describe your foot I can give you a starting point. I have a very wide forefoot, so fitting skates was a tough task. I eventually landed in RBK 9ks, but still had to punch out the toe box three times.

Bauer and CCM make good skates. Mission is making a better skate these days. It will all come down to fit for you. Screw brands and just concentrate on that.

Tighter is better as you can always make a skate bigger, but you can never make it smaller. Extra socks doesn't count, no matter what mom said when you were 7.

Yeah, I figured I wouldn't really "know" until I get better. The rentals were fine until about three days ago when I really started noticing how they don't seem to fit right, give out, and generally just suck. I don't want to spend too much on them now for just that reason... in a year or so, I'll know I need something different.

I'm generally the same... wide forefoot as well, somewhat larger -- size 11 or 12 in a tennis shoe. I flux in weight between 195 and 205, depending on how much I stuff my face compared too how many miles I run per week.

I don't care about brands... was just looking for some guidance, perhaps some "stay away from" horror stories or something.

Thanks!

Got me a pair of cheap nike bauer superior selects. 50 bucks at dick's sporting good. Do the job just fine. I was looking at some Missions today to think about upgrading but a good starter pair would be a cheap pair and find a good skate sharpening shop. I go to play it again sports to get mine sharpened for 3 bucks and they do a better job than anyone else ive gone too. The only thing that will help you keep you off your ass is not being afraid of falling. I started the same way and was always falling down. Go straight into the boards and try stopping, snow plow, whatever. Just try new things, you're gonna fall when you fall and other times you'll surprise yourself.

Oh I'm not afraid of being on my ass, that's how I get better. I take a deep breath and give it a go. If it works, great! If not, I know now to do that again. I spent a lot of the day today just turning and stopping and whatnot. Getting that hang of that. I got going pretty good and hit a crappy spot on the ice in the rentals and did a face-first glide into the boards today. Got up. laughed it off, and tried again!

Oh I'm not afraid of being on my ass, that's how I get better. I take a deep breath and give it a go. If it works, great! If not, I know now to do that again. I spent a lot of the day today just turning and stopping and whatnot. Getting that hang of that. I got going pretty good and hit a crappy spot on the ice in the rentals and did a face-first glide into the boards today. Got up. laughed it off, and tried again!

Yea i know what you mean. I can stop on a dime with my right leg but cant stop at all on my left. Still getting better at it. But yea, the best thing possible is to find a good pair of skates (for cheap if need be) and then find a place you trust to sharpen them. I use to pay 10 bucks for a sharpen but now i pay 3 cuz i trust the guy that does my skates.

Yeah, I figured I wouldn't really "know" until I get better. The rentals were fine until about three days ago when I really started noticing how they don't seem to fit right, give out, and generally just suck. I don't want to spend too much on them now for just that reason... in a year or so, I'll know I need something different.

I'm generally the same... wide forefoot as well, somewhat larger -- size 11 or 12 in a tennis shoe. I flux in weight between 195 and 205, depending on how much I stuff my face compared too how many miles I run per week.

I don't care about brands... was just looking for some guidance, perhaps some "stay away from" horror stories or something.

Thanks!

try a mid-level CCM Vector. Maybe the 6.0. That skate should only be about $180-$220 depending on if you can get last year's model. That skate has a wider forefoot and has a nice comfortable fit (soft liner).

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-vector-ice-skates-sr.html

The 4.0s may not be enough skate for you.

Go to a good hockey shop (such as Pro hockey Life at Vaughn Mills in Toronto), tell them your budget, see what they recommend and try on as many pairs as you can until you find a pair that you really like the feel of.

A good hockey shop will measure your feet and fit you out properly. A decent pair of skates will be a world of difference from what you've been using.

Yea i know what you mean. I can stop on a dime with my right leg but cant stop at all on my left. Still getting better at it. But yea, the best thing possible is to find a good pair of skates (for cheap if need be) and then find a place you trust to sharpen them. I use to pay 10 bucks for a sharpen but now i pay 3 cuz i trust the guy that does my skates.

That was how I wound up on my face... I tried to stop on my left side. Insta-boom. Got it down a few tries later after I practiced a bit more. I'll probably ride it out on these crappy rentals for a few more weeks, I want to get my daughter her own pair before she goes into the next class, we'll just get them together.

Its best to go to a hockey shop. Don't buy online. The shop will fit you properly. I have a pair of Missions, but the others are good too: Nike/Bauer, CCM. You can get into a nice pair for around $200 or less. You don't need to spend $500 - 600 for a pair of skates, just starting out.

Have fun!!

The fitting process is fun too. Being the youngest of three brothers, I was always wearing hand me down skates. About 5 years ago I bought my first ever new pair of skates (man I wish I hadn't taken 7 years off from the game at that point), so I actually got to go through the fitting process. It made a whole world of difference as I've never worn a skate that was anywhere near as comfortable as these ones are.

That was how I wound up on my face... I tried to stop on my left side. Insta-boom. Got it down a few tries later after I practiced a bit more. I'll probably ride it out on these crappy rentals for a few more weeks, I want to get my daughter her own pair before she goes into the next class, we'll just get them together.

I've had a pair of CCM Vectors for about 3 years now and they have been great. I am a bar leaguer so I wasn't looking for anything crazy, but I wanted something I could count on as well. I think CCM has great quality, and you're getting great protection on the boot of the skate. I had Nike/Bauers before then, which were not that great. The blades just did not stay sharp and the boot wore out pretty bad.

I would say go pickup a pair of CCM Vectors, or at least try them on at the store and see how they feel. The newest model will probably run you about $200, but I bet if you looked around hockeymonkey.com you could find the pair that I have, which is a couple years old, for less coin.

How they feel on your feet is far and away the most important thing. The instep should be in the right place; they shouldn't pinch your toes or ankles, etc. Comfort is key. It's surprising how different two different brands of the same size skate can feel. I definitely second the suggestion of going to a shop. By the way, most skates run much smaller than your shoe size, so on top of not being to get the feel of the skate, they're almost impossible to size right online.

The other issue is to make sure they're sharpened. It helps a ton to have a good edge, which is something you almost never see on rentals.

Archived