"Pirates may keep Dineen"

wildcat48

Pirates may keep Dineen

Kevin Dineen, who coached the Pirates the last three years, has talked to Buffalo about staying.

The Buffalo Sabres have spoken with Kevin Dineen during the past week about remaining head coach of the Portland Pirates.

Dineen coached the Pirates for the past three seasons when the AHL team was affiliated with the Anaheim Ducks.

"You can say we've had some positive discussions and we're looking forward to wrapping things up soon," Dineen said Friday.

Link>>>>

I don't think either Dineen or Weinrich would be bad choices. Dineen was a Sabre-killer; played each shift 100%. Weinrich never seemed as intense as Dineen but I always thought he was one of those players that you rarely noticed because he always seemed to be in the right place.

The creator of future Ducks wants to be the creator of future Sabres?

I see absolutely NO problem in this.

I was going to say something along the same vein.

He has done a fabulous job with the ducks young talent.

I was going to say something along the same vein.

He has done a fabulous job with the ducks young talent.

Care to elaborate?

Besides being "a Sabre killer" does anyone have any hockey reasons why this would be a hire and not just a hire of convenience? I'm not trying to slam Dineen I don't know much about his coaching resume and I was hoping someone with a bit more familiarity could chime in.

The Pirates are known to play a much more physical style of hockey, similar to that of Anaheim. We've seen what the Ducks can do and if that is any indicator, the Sabres might be on their way to growing a more physical + skilled team in the future.

The Pirates are known to play a much more physical style of hockey, similar to that of Anaheim. We've seen what the Ducks can do and if that is any indicator, the Sabres might be on their way to growing a more physical + skilled team in the future.

Doesn't it seem like common sense that the minor league club would play a similar style to their parent club?

Doesn't it seem like common sense that the minor league club would play a similar style to their parent club?

Yup. And I hope that means the Sabres are going to adopt a more physical style, as opposed to making the Pirates play a more finesse game. I feel like having Dineen coach a team that may not suit his strengths as a coach, might be counterproductive. *crosses fingers*

Care to elaborate?

Besides being "a Sabre killer" does anyone have any hockey reasons why this would be a hire and not just a hire of convenience? I'm not trying to slam Dineen I don't know much about his coaching resume and I was hoping someone with a bit more familiarity could chime in.

Well, this report on his last NHL game, at age 39, is what I remember him playing like every night we played him at least. We've got some young (and small) players who I think this will rub off on. (shudder to remember Gratton as the Sabres leading scorer...we have come a long way)

**************************************************************************************************************

Although he didn't score Sunday, he had a sliver of time to do what his dad, Billy, urged him to do a long time ago. All game, Dineen had goaded Chris Gratton, five inches taller, 35 pounds heavier. And with the Blue Jackets clinging to a one-goal lead, Gratton, who, coincidentally, had assisted on Tampa Bay's last goal in the Whalers' finale, lost it. He crunched Dineen into the boards. They traded blows. Dineen left bloody and satisfied he had taken the Sabres' leading scorer with him.

"People have said to me that I had that passion, that intensity, character on the ice," Dineen said. "To be able to do that, keep it up and literally finish that way is satisfying. But it's also no secret I had to play that way to make it."

The evidence is in the NHL record book. Dineen is one of only six players in NHL history to amass more than 350 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes. The numbers are fairly impressive. That Dineen finished among the top 60 all-time in games played, however, is astonishing.

He is 5 feet 11, 190 pounds. He played 6-3, 220. He never played it careful. Playing at such a frenetic pace and suffering from Crohn's disease (chronic inflammation of the digestive tract), it was predicted here many years ago that he'd be fortunate to last six seasons.

*************************************************************************************************************

Well, this report on his last NHL game, at age 39, is what I remember him playing like every night we played him at least. We've got some young (and small) players who I think this will rub off on. (shudder to remember Gratton as the Sabres leading scorer...we have come a long way)

**************************************************************************************************************

Although he didn't score Sunday, he had a sliver of time to do what his dad, Billy, urged him to do a long time ago. All game, Dineen had goaded Chris Gratton, five inches taller, 35 pounds heavier. And with the Blue Jackets clinging to a one-goal lead, Gratton, who, coincidentally, had assisted on Tampa Bay's last goal in the Whalers' finale, lost it. He crunched Dineen into the boards. They traded blows. Dineen left bloody and satisfied he had taken the Sabres' leading scorer with him.

"People have said to me that I had that passion, that intensity, character on the ice," Dineen said. "To be able to do that, keep it up and literally finish that way is satisfying. But it's also no secret I had to play that way to make it."

The evidence is in the NHL record book. Dineen is one of only six players in NHL history to amass more than 350 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes. The numbers are fairly impressive. That Dineen finished among the top 60 all-time in games played, however, is astonishing.

He is 5 feet 11, 190 pounds. He played 6-3, 220. He never played it careful. Playing at such a frenetic pace and suffering from Crohn's disease (chronic inflammation of the digestive tract), it was predicted here many years ago that he'd be fortunate to last six seasons.

*************************************************************************************************************

Thats sucks for him. But really if you were him would want your personal business to be out there like that?

Care to elaborate?

Here are some good hockey reasons. These are players who play for Anaheim (of have played for Anaheim) that were developed under Kevin Dineen in Portland:

1. Corey Perry

2. Ryan Getzlaff

3. Dustin Penner

4. Chris Kunitz spent some time in Portland under Dineen

5. Drew Miller

6. Bobby Ryan

7. Ryan Carter

8. Kent Huskins (a very solid defenseman usually paired with Chris Pronger)

9. Curtis Glencross

These guys are very solid players who were key components to Stanley Cup Winning Team that spent some time under Kevin Dineen before joining the NHL ranks. Also, the top 3, are really superstar type players with Getzlaff having been an all-star and Corey Perry and Dustin Penner being big time scorers for their respective NHL franchises. I think Kevin Dineen would be great for the development of Sabres players. In fact, I kind of wish he was part of the coaching staff sooner so that Drew Stafford could have developed into a true power forward under him like Ryan Getzlaff and Dustin Penner have.

He was the AHL's most outstanding coach in 2005-2006 season. The players he's developed along with his excellence as an AHL coach including deep runs in the AHL playoffs the last three years for Portland shows me he'd make a great coach for Sabres prospects. That's my opinion at least.

Here are some good hockey reasons. These are players who play for Anaheim (of have played for Anaheim) that were developed under Kevin Dineen in Portland:

1. Corey Perry

2. Ryan Getzlaff

3. Dustin Penner

4. Chris Kunitz spent some time in Portland under Dineen

5. Drew Miller

6. Bobby Ryan

7. Ryan Carter

8. Kent Huskins (a very solid defenseman usually paired with Chris Pronger)

9. Curtis Glencross

These guys are very solid players who were key components to Stanley Cup Winning Team that spent some time under Kevin Dineen before joining the NHL ranks. Also, the top 3, are really superstar type players with Getzlaff having been an all-star and Corey Perry and Dustin Penner being big time scorers for their respective NHL franchises. I think Kevin Dineen would be great for the development of Sabres players. In fact, I kind of wish he was part of the coaching staff sooner so that Drew Stafford could have developed into a true power forward under him like Ryan Getzlaff and Dustin Penner have.

He was the AHL's most outstanding coach in 2005-2006 season. The players he's developed along with his excellence as an AHL coach including deep runs in the AHL playoffs the last three years for Portland shows me he'd make a great coach for Sabres prospects. That's my opinion at least.

Thanks! It's makes me nervous when the best someone has to say about him is he was a Sabre killer. Like when Marv was a great pick for GM because he once coached the Bills.

Isn't Drew Miller still unsigned?

Thats sucks for him. But really if you were him would want your personal business to be out there like that?

That fact that people know about his condition is not really a big deal for him, actually, he's will talk about it freely because he's a spokesperson for the National Crohn's Disease Foundation.

It's all about taking care of yourself and proper nutrition.

I said this on another board, but Dineen would fit just fine with the Sabres organization because he's a teacher and it's not always about talent, but having the heart and will to play all out.

Dineen and Ruff come from the same school and the Ducks and Sabres org are not all that different in style. Sabres have a little more finesse, but they both will with a little bit of an edge.

I said this on another board, but Dineen would fit just fine with the Sabres organization because he's a teacher and it's not always about talent, but having the heart and will to play all out.

Dineen and Ruff come from the same school and the Ducks and Sabres org are not all that different in style. Sabres have a little more finesse, but they both will with a little bit of an edge.

Thats what i heard about him. I once watched a NHL game on center ice on Sportsnet, it was like Vancouver and someone else. I wanna say Colorado. Anyways, during intermission they did a story on future coaches, and the one they talked about most is him. They said he installs heart into players and makes them play tough. Great teacher of the game. It was a round table discussion but after i saw that, i wanted him to be our coach lol, esspicially when they mentioned all the skill players he turned into 2 way players.

Archived