Nashville's Alex Radulov signs in Russia

Goodfella25

Link

He's not a UFA folks, he's still got a year on his deal with Nashville. Is this legal under the new transfer agreement, since it supposedly was agreed prior to the signing of it? Will this begin a tug-of-war between the NHL and the Russian league. I think maybe it's time we start to discuss this, especially since Dubielewicz, Jagr, and Emery all went to Russia already.

Also, what are the chances that Max ends up going home? Would that be addition by subtraction at this point?

Link

He's not a UFA folks, he's still got a year on his deal with Nashville. Is this legal under the new transfer agreement, since it supposedly was agreed prior to the signing of it? Will this begin a tug-of-war between the NHL and the Russian league. I think maybe it's time we start to discuss this, especially since Dubielewicz, Jagr, and Emery all went to Russia already.

Also, what are the chances that Max ends up going home? Would that be addition by subtraction at this point?

Are the Continental League and the Super League one in the same?

Will be interesting, didn't the leagues just agree to honor each other's contracts a day or two ago?

Radulov is known as a bit of a headcase here, he got into a shouting match with Arnott during one of the playoff games last season ... but at the same time they were counting on him big time, he actually produced well playing with Arnott and Dumont.

While many here might think so (and I would tend to agree), I don't think DR and the FO would agree. I'm fairly certain that somebody would have given them a seventh round pick (basically nothing) for him, but DR felt he was worth more than that, even with his $3M per year. It's a moot point for him now (for this Summer anyway) with the new agreement in place. I kind of wish that he'd done us the favor before the agreement when it was clear that the Sabres were shopping him.

it'll be interesting to see where this winds up. you can't just step out of a

signed contract. my guess is the Preds won't take this sitting down.

You'd think his Agent wouldn't put him through all this, but then again after the Brian Campbell debacle last year I'm never shocked at what an Agent will do for that 10%

the league he signed with is not under the agreement the NHL just made I believe. Thats why he could do it

Ek (I know, consider the source but ... all I could find) is saying that he signed it 2 days before the agreement was reached with the NHL, so technically they didn't break any rules or agreements when they signed him. One "source" says it could be a ploy by the russian team to get a settlement from the NHL and/or Preds to let him go back and make it go away ... which is funny given the state of the ownership here, no way they will pay a ransom for a guy who is not under contract beyond this season. besides, I thought they were all rolling in money over there?

Whatever the case, if the guy wants to go, not sure it is worth it for the Preds to fight him ... if he's pissed and pouting all season, which is possible considering his immaturity, he's going to suck anyway and be gone in a year.

Ek (I know, consider the source but ... all I could find) is saying that he signed it 2 days before the agreement was reached with the NHL, so technically they didn't break any rules or agreements when they signed him. One "source" says it could be a ploy by the russian team to get a settlement from the NHL and/or Preds to let him go back and make it go away ... which is funny given the state of the ownership here, no way they will pay a ransom for a guy who is not under contract beyond this season. besides, I thought they were all rolling in money over there?

Whatever the case, if the guy wants to go, not sure it is worth it for the Preds to fight him ... if he's pissed and pouting all season, which is possible considering his immaturity, he's going to suck anyway and be gone in a year.

the story I read on TSN I believe said that the league he signed with was not one that the league had an agreement with, and that he had mentioned this to the Preds that he had an offer and wanted to go back home to play, but the Preds never got back to him so he made the deal and is going back to Russia

Man that's like career suicide ... talk about shortsighted ... I get that he might be far from home and miss it but ... one more year and you can do what you want without burning bridges with the NHL and coming off like a complete goofball.

that all depends though if you see this Russian league as being comparible to the NHL. The Russians have been throwing around big contracts.

Link

Good question.

But even if it's not legal, I don't see how the NHL has any leverage whatsoever in this matter, perhaps apart from suspending the player in question, so that he can't return to the NHL if he wants?

But then again, where does that leave us? With a product even more watered down than the current one.

One thing's for sure, the NHL needs to get their act together fast, because if the Russian league ever becomes stable enough for top level North American talent to test the waters there, watch out.

The IIHF is now involved, according to NHL.com's Bill Meltzer ..

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16202

IIHF President Ren? Fasel has informed the Continental Hockey League that Salavat Yulaev's signing of Alexander Radulov is a

blatant violation of the verbal agreement made in May and reiterated yesterday.

The IIHF has asked the KHL to void the contract. In the KHL does not comply, the IIHF has said it will disqualify Radulov from playing in all IIHF-sanctioned events, including the new the Champions Hockey League, the IIHF World Championships and the 2010 Winter Olympics.

In addition, the IIHF may take punitive action against the Salavat Yulayev club, which as the 2007-08 Russian champion is scheduled to participate in the Champions Hockey League.

That's bringing the hammer down pretty good ... maybe for $24 million I'd say screw the Oympics too, but at least they are trying to restore some order. Who knows if it will work long term.

Would the team get penalized still and have to count his salary towards their cap? Or is it just wiped away?

He wouldn't be honoring his contract, so I'd imagine it would come off the books, that that it really matters for Nashville since they aren't a big spender. Its only an entry level deal, so it isn't all that much money anyway. If it does come off the cap, Nashville may end up close to the floor though, but I'm sure they still have a player to add to the payroll.

Archived