Team USA Hockey question?

envirojeff

It was obvious to everyone that the chemistry wasn't there from day one. If it's OK for pro players to participate, then why not put a team with THE MOST chemistry play? Hears my proposal. The team that wins the Stanley Cup the year prior to the Winter Olympics IS team USA. OK, I know the first question - not all players will want to play for USA and rather play for there home country. Easy fix, let the winning coach fill in the rest of the roster. My point being that at least SOME players will have team chemistry.

Jeff

That makes no sense ... the Stanley Cup is a CANADIAN trophy ... why does the winner become Team USA? And what happens if the Leafs of habs or Flames win it? No wonder the rest of the world hates us when people just assume that we are entitled to take the best of everything. I'm freakin speechless ...

That makes no sense ... the Stanley Cup is a CANADIAN trophy ... why does the winner become Team USA? And what happens if the Leafs of habs or Flames win it? No wonder the rest of the world hates us when people just assume that we are entitled to take the best of everything. I'm freakin speechless ...

relax... it was an honest mistake.

I remember going to Hawaii on my honeymoon and I kept referring to the mainland as "the states" as if Hawaii wasn't a state! doh!

Anyhow, don't get to worked up over it.

It was obvious to everyone that the chemistry wasn't there from day one. If it's OK for pro players to participate, then why not put a team with THE MOST chemistry play? Hears my proposal. The team that wins the Stanley Cup the year prior to the Winter Olympics IS team USA. OK, I know the first question - not all players will want to play for USA and rather play for there home country. Easy fix, let the winning coach fill in the rest of the roster. My point being that at least SOME players will have team chemistry.

Jeff

There are NOT enough AMERICANS playing in the NHL, let alone on ONE TEAM to do this. To play for team USA, you have to be an AMERICAN Citizen.

The easiest fix is to go back to having Team USA be the best amateur players in the country. This way they can play in tournaments, practice year round, and grow together as a TEAM, not a loose assembly of name players. They might not be the best players at the NHL all-star game, or sell the most jerseys to rap stars, but they will play the best hockey this country can represent. Team USA, from management to coaching to players to administration staff, to its volunteers are all a disgrace at its current state. Someone within the organization or on the outside must force a change for this country to be competitive in world tournaments again.

The easiest fix is to go back to having Team USA be the best amateur players in the country. This way they can play in tournaments, practice year round, and grow together as a TEAM, not a loose assembly of name players. They might not be the best players at the NHL all-star game, or sell the most jerseys to rap stars, but they will play the best hockey this country can represent. Team USA, from management to coaching to players to administration staff, to its volunteers are all a disgrace at its current state. Someone within the organization or on the outside must force a change for this country to be competitive in world tournaments again.

It is amazing what a TEAM can do. We used to play amateurs against pros, won gold once or twice doing it...

I propose something else: no player should be allowed to play for Team USA if he has received compensation for playing in a game in the previous month before the games. This would allow for a "training camp" to prepare for the Olympics.

Jeff

The main problem you would have is international rules. A player like Jagr can't play for the US or anyone else. Players can't just switch, not to mention they wouldn't want to in the first place.

The easy fix to the chemistry problem is this. Pick a team of players, a nice large pool which would include like 30+ players. Then every other week, make the least money making days and make that day an international day. No NHL games would be played on that day. So let's just say wednesday is our day. Everyother week team USA would meet up in different arenas for a day of practice. From time to time set up some friendlies to play. Also have the team meet up 2-3 times for a week in the off-season. No reason why the team can't be picked now instead of a few weeks before a tourney like the worldcup of hockey or olympics. Remember nothing is set in stone, the 30+ players would not have a 100% roster spot. If a player who hasn't been called up is doing damn well the coach can call him up anytime.

If players wouldn't want to do the extra work then they really don't desirve to wear the jersey with a giant USA logo.

But that's just my opinion.

Thank you all for the constructive discussion rather than attacks! Lots of good points. I'm not sure what the answers are, but it may be just the fact that the rest of the world is catching up? The best and most realistic answer may be what Corp000085 posted, a return to the kids? USA Hockey has a couple years to come up with something.

Jeff

Archived