You've got to love a falling US Dollar

Knightrider

Certainly if the economy goes into a full-blown recession, people will have less disposable income for things like sporting events. But that is a far cry from predicting the demise of the sun belt NHL franchises. The NHL wants those teams to succeed -- this was one of the key drivers behind the revenue sharing structure. In any case, the story with those teams is the same as in the NBA and MLB: if the teams win, they will do fine at the box office (like, e.g. Tampa and Dallas have done); if the teams stink every year, then they won't do well financially either. There are very few NHL markets where that is not the case.

As for the NYC/NJ teams, they will be more than fine. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

Both the Islanders and the Devils would make more money then Buffalo if not one person showed up for their games.

Ok, maybe a slight exageration, but just a slight one.

• 2 weeks later...

i enjoy playing gm on this board as much as the next guy ... but, after skimming through this thread and its references to the feckin' u.s. tax code and the implications of depreciating amortized assets in connection with an asset acquisition ... well, i died a little inside.

days gone by, sports and other entertainment industries were good for escaping reality. there's nothing more dreadfully real than the u.s. tax code.

p.s. drilling down to this level of detail with our home team is not unlike members of a message board devoted to a certain genre of movies -- say summer blockbusters -- who spend their time discussing not whether or not they liked a movie/director/actor/wardrobe designer and why (and what movies are going to get made, should be made, etc.), but rather get bogged down in debating whether a particular studio will be able to back a particular movie, given that the studio has its free capital heavily invested in some hedge funds that hold a bunch of bad cdo's. ... wait, that probably is the case out there somewhere. :death:

There will be a team in Winnepeg soon....and it would be pretty funny if it was Phoenix that went back.

Maybe Phoenix can play some of their home games in Winnepeg. Maybe start with 1/8th of them.

For all that think the NHL is just fine and dandy....check this article out. It slipped past me so sorry if anyone has seen it before.

Balsillie Getting Mobbed with Offerings

I recall that article. What slipped by me then was that Dallas is on that supposed list. I find it hard to imagine they are on the list with them getting ready to have their AHL affiliate moved into Texas. Of course that won't be until next year so maybe...

I recall that article. What slipped by me then was that Dallas is on that supposed list. I find it hard to imagine they are on the list with them getting ready to have their AHL affiliate moved into Texas. Of course that won't be until next year so maybe...

I was a little surprised at the interest in the Stars (they weren't that good in '06) when I spent a few weeks down there. Dallas may be one city where hockey works south of the Mason-Dixon line. If the Stars sold out, I have a feeling another team would have to move to Dallas.

i enjoy playing gm on this board as much as the next guy ... but, after skimming through this thread and its references to the feckin' u.s. tax code and the implications of depreciating amortized assets in connection with an asset acquisition ... well, i died a little inside.

days gone by, sports and other entertainment industries were good for escaping reality. there's nothing more dreadfully real than the u.s. tax code.

p.s. drilling down to this level of detail with our home team is not unlike members of a message board devoted to a certain genre of movies -- say summer blockbusters -- who spend their time discussing not whether or not they liked a movie/director/actor/wardrobe designer and why (and what movies are going to get made, should be made, etc.), but rather get bogged down in debating whether a particular studio will be able to back a particular movie, given that the studio has its free capital heavily invested in some hedge funds that hold a bunch of bad cdo's. ... wait, that probably is the case out there somewhere. :death:

I'm sorry for bringing that stuff in, but to me it is the core of the problem. I have had a hard time getting behind this team the past few years because I do not trust the front office. Sure, I am not a fan of the style of the team, but I can get past that point and root for them. However, when there is a chance to improve the team and the front office doesn't do that, and they hide in a bunker for 18 months....my experience leads me to believe something rotten is going on. I do not trust questionable character during the best of times, so I am at full alert in the worst of times. The tax code and pending election will have too much of an impact on the bottom line of a team that is open publically in saying that the bottom line matters.

I'm sorry for bringing that stuff in, but to me it is the core of the problem. I have had a hard time getting behind this team the past few years because I do not trust the front office. Sure, I am not a fan of the style of the team, but I can get past that point and root for them. However, when there is a chance to improve the team and the front office doesn't do that, and they hide in a bunker for 18 months....my experience leads me to believe something rotten is going on. I do not trust questionable character during the best of times, so I am at full alert in the worst of times. The tax code and pending election will have too much of an impact on the bottom line of a team that is open publically in saying that the bottom line matters.

please don't apologize, really - i can't rightly begrudge anyone the desire to talk about such things.

i've just been reflecting, of late, on how serious sports has become, at every level, really.

i yearn for less complicated, less serious days when it comes to the matter of cheering for and supporting my favorite teams.

please don't apologize, really - i can't rightly begrudge anyone the desire to talk about such things.

i've just been reflecting, of late, on how serious sports has become, at every level, really.

i yearn for less complicated, less serious days when it comes to the matter of cheering for and supporting my favorite teams.

Thanks!

I understand.....I think that is why I used to be so vocal about what I felt was going on behind the scenes. Inside dealings and following the $$ are at the forefront. Look at the commercialization of the games themselves. You talk about the Aud Smell..........you know what the best part of the Aud was? Sliding back from the edge of your seat after a whistle, and hearing......NOTHING! Just the high frequency murmur of fans talking about the last shift, or maybe having an actual conversation. The only thing that would interrupt the tranquility of being at the game would be a REAL Pipe Organ playing REAL Sports chants...or the occasional Milt Eliis interruption..."Your Attention Please.....Will Dr Steinbloom please call the office."

Like almost everything else in society, I think we have gone past the point of no return. The only reason I still have as much fun at Bills games as I do is because it is an all day event where friends, family and neighbors get together. The Sabres game scene has turned more into going to see a movie at the Mall. I just can't look forward to it anymore. If it's there, it's there.

On the bright side, you can get a good Roast Beef sandwich at the arena!

I was a little surprised at the interest in the Stars (they weren't that good in '06) when I spent a few weeks down there. Dallas may be one city where hockey works south of the Mason-Dixon line. If the Stars sold out, I have a feeling another team would have to move to Dallas.

I think it is most of Texas isn't it? Houston is big into their Aeros and I've read many times about how many rinks there are throughout Texas.

Archived