Leafs waive

X. Benedict

Would Raycroft be that bad of a pick up? His numbers really haven't been that bad with the exception of last season.

He makes 2.2 million - so I think he would have to clear waivers, then get bought out, and then he'd be a candidate.

If that happens I think he would be decent #2 on a 1 year.

Wellwood is an interesting possibility but we don't need any more small forwards. It's too bad that injuries have really marred his career now--he never seemed to recover last season and he had (has?) a lot of potential to be a 2nd like center in the NHL.

It will be interesting to see if the Leafs really do try to build from inside rather than just signing a ton of free agents. I don't believe they have turned the corner in that respect. I think they'll still go out and overpay a bunch of UFAs. They pretty much have to considering they don't have any centers left on that team unless they want Steen or Stajan as their #1 :death:

I would take him as a #2 (maybe even a #1b guy for $2.2 million. I really isn't horrible, he just can't play a full season, or a bunch of games in a row, he needs time off between starts (atleast this is what a Bruins fan I used to work with and I were discussing one day when he was starting with the Leafs). He would make a good backup. The Least of the Leafs worries were coaching and goaltending, so guess what they decide they should do first?

Wellwood was claimed by the Canucks. No surprise there, they need another center with Morrison leaving as a UFA. I can't figure how the Leafs weren't able to get at least something for Wellwood. A 6th round pick? 7th round? Nothing.

He's like Timmy, theres plenty of potential and upside with him, if he can stay healthy

Archived