Well, it is Ek but it is a Sabres rumor

Swedesessed

The Sabres have been mentioned as interested in Rolston elsewhere before today ... everyone thought he would have re-signed with the Wild by now ... I'm sure a LOT of teams are interested. that's all he said, they were interested ...

You guys dismiss the Eklund stuff too fast ... not saying any of it will happen, but is it SO hard to believe that they would ASK about Rolston? or that they would talk to Washington or Chicago about Max? that's all he is reporting, that they talked ... he rarely says it's GOING to happen.

The Sabres have been mentioned as interested in Rolston elsewhere before today ... everyone thought he would have re-signed with the Wild by now ... I'm sure a LOT of teams are interested. that's all he said, they were interested ...

You guys dismiss the Eklund stuff too fast ... not saying any of it will happen, but is it SO hard to believe that they would ASK about Rolston? or that they would talk to Washington or Chicago about Max? that's all he is reporting, that they talked ... he rarely says it's GOING to happen.

I won't believe it until Bucky Gleason reports it :w00t:

You are right....I just joke about Ek because I know so many here loathe him and wish they were doing what he does for a living (at least I do!)

If the Sabres move Max, maybe Rolston is not a bad idea, plus he is good on the PP, that can only help.

Of course Ek is going to get SOMETHING right - after all, he reports that 20+ teams are interested in every FA out there.

Throw enough crap at the wall, something is bound to stick...

Of course Ek is going to get SOMETHING right - after all, he reports that 20+ teams are interested in every FA out there.

True to that...I just never take him that seriously...and Ill admit, it does at least peak my interest just a bit even when he said 'Rolston to Buffalo (e3)....it it like buying a scratch off and the feeling before you scratch it: I like that feeling of hope, but we all know you will miss by 1 number on all 10 pay lines :D

I'm not dismissing anybody, I just don't think they would be talking about a deal to get negotiating rights.

That doesn't sound like the organization.

I fully believe they are talking to Washington. That adds up. I'd be disappointed if they weren't.

No doubt, but again, he is exactly what he claims to be ... he reports everything he hears ... damn right 20 teams are going to be interested in a good free agent ... he just reports it when he hears it. Every time he posts something he is NOT saying "this is going to happen!" but that's still how people take it for some reason. He is just saying he heard they were talking about it ... he's very transparent, that's why I don't understand the venom toward him ...

No doubt, but again, he is exactly what he claims to be ... he reports everything he hears ... damn right 20 teams are going to be interested in a good free agent ... he just reports it when he hears it. Every time he posts something he is NOT saying "this is going to happen!" but that's still how people take it for some reason. He is just saying he heard they were talking about it ... he's very transparent, that's why I don't understand the venom toward him ...

No venom from me. I just don't believe any "negotiating rights" rumors for UFA's.

It has happened once with Nashville - Philly. I just find the idea odd.

No venom from me. I just don't believe any "negotiating rights" rumors for UFA's.

It has happened once with Nashville - Philly. I just find the idea odd.

Well i agree it does seem out of character ... although Darcy always says the most expensive way to acquire players is in unrestricted FA ... and if Rolston and Minnesota are at such a stalemate that the Wild have given up maybe they just want to get SOMETHING for him ... so maybe Darcy figures a small price is worth it if they can get Rolston before he hits the market.

Either way, if they do somehow do it, it woudl certainly signal that they are willing to change their ways a bit, I think we would all welcome that.

Well i agree it does seem out of character ... although Darcy always says the most expensive way to acquire players is in unrestricted FA ... and if Rolston and Minnesota are at such a stalemate that the Wild have given up maybe they just want to get SOMETHING for him ... so maybe Darcy figures a small price is worth it if they can get Rolston before he hits the market.

Either way, if they do somehow do it, it woudl certainly signal that they are willing to change their ways a bit, I think we would all welcome that.

Okay, but I don't see what Buffalo has to give away for a 5 week negotiating window.

Negotiating rights to Mike Ryan?

I think the things that bother me about Eklund is:

a) he hides his identity

b) he makes people pay to read his rumors

c) his accuracy rate seems to be in low single digits (until he goes back and changes previous posts to include new teams)

I prefer Spector on Fox Sports or anyone who will put their name and rep out there and actually question some of the stuff they hear. I just can't put a lot of stock in a guy that posts things like this:

Just heading out the door to go to the Wachovia Center, when I got word that The Sabres may indeed be close to sending Marty Biron and a conditional pick to Florida for Eddie Belfour and Gary Roberts. This trade has been speculated around here over the last week. Stay tuned, I will be updating from the Wachovia as the night goes...

Outside of all that, I guess he's entertaining -- like buying a Mega Millions ticket and imagining all the cool things you'll buy when you win. Sure, it's fun to imagine Gaborik in a Sabres uniform or sending Max to Florida for Jokinen, but in the end it's mostly worthless, IMO.

Just my unsolicited two cents on the matter.

Okay, but I don't see what Buffalo has to give away for a 5 week negotiating window.

Negotiating rights to Mike Ryan?

One of their 3rd round picks? The 13 in exchange for the 24? We have to assume Minnesota has NO chance of signing him, right? The Columbus Dispatch reported the Blue Jackets were willing to part with forward Dan Fritsche, or a second- or third-round draft pick for Ryan Malone's rights. that's not much of a price IF you can get the guy signed ... I'd rather do a pick for the rights to Rolston than some of the suggestions to get Jokinen ...

One of their 3rd round picks? The 13 in exchange for the 24? We have to assume Minnesota has NO chance of signing him, right? The Columbus Dispatch reported the Blue Jackets were willing to part with forward Dan Fritsche, or a second- or third-round draft pick for Ryan Malone's rights. that's not much of a price IF you can get the guy signed ... I'd rather do a pick for the rights to Rolston than some of the suggestions to get Jokinen ...

Whoa. I just think it is all pretty nuts. A third rounder for the right to sign Rolston when you have no more leverage than the original club to get him signed. It doesn't make sense to me.

It still may be nuts, but according to a legit source with quotes from the asst GM, not only have talks stalled with Rolston but teams ARE indeed making offers for his negotiating rights ... Matters turn silent in Wild's talks with Rolston

I noticed that when I was looking for the article on Gaborik and Bouchard, but from what I've read Rolston seems adament about getting "fair market value" for his services and then when you add in this "agent not returning calls or counter-offering" stuff and I feel like it's not worth the hassle.

Sounds to me like Rolston is trying to force Minnesota's hand into moving him.

I wont believe it until Garth seconds it. :wallbash:

I need to respond to posts regarding Garth and I must say first that I don't know if you're kidding.

Garth is as much of a clown as Ecklund. The latest example, and there are many, has been his reports on Dennis Persson. First, when he signed, he said that he had been tearing up the Swedish Elite league when in fact he bombed out of it, Then, just the other day, he spoke how good he looked at camp when everyone else talked about how terrible he and uncomfortable he looked.

Ecklund and his writers use the same approach to rumors as my friends and I used when we would go out 30 years ago. You hit on every girl in the place and eventually someones going to say yes even if its the fat drunk at 4 am.

You hit on every girl in the place and eventually someones going to say yes even if its the fat drunk at 4 am.

Yea, but regardless of what they looked like (or you thought they looked like), you still got laid that night! Even though both Ek and Garth are mostly full of it when they write, it's still good to hear all the possibilities no matter how ridiculous they are. Then it's our job to carry out the pros/cons of each and how much we believe/don't believe whatever they say.

Everyone looks at the cover of the National Inquirer, do you have to believe it no, but you still look.

Just heard on GR according to Andrew Orpik, Brooks Orpik would like to sign with the sabres. Now we just need to see if the FO can get it done. Really hope so.

No offense to Andrew Orpik, but he needs to shut up. As long as his brother is still under contract with the Penguins, he shouldn't be saying things like this.

Yea, but regardless of what they looked like (or you thought they looked like), you still got laid that night! Even though both Ek and Garth are mostly full of it when they write, it's still good to hear all the possibilities no matter how ridiculous they are. Then it's our job to carry out the pros/cons of each and how much we believe/don't believe whatever they say.

Everyone looks at the cover of the National Inquirer, do you have to believe it no, but you still look.

Obviously I read it or I wouldn't be able to respond to it. Like you said, its fun to dream that he may be right. Right now he is reporting that Buffalo is trying to trade Max's rights in order to talk to Mike Green.

Archived