OT- Labatt's Summer pack

darksabre

Has anyone else tried it yet? I picked one up today and I have to say, every beer in it is excellent. The Summer Ale is good and the Twist (blue with a hint of lime) is quite tasty. Plus with a Honey Lager and the regular Blue Light, this pack definitely gives the likes of Magic Hat, Sam Adams, and Saranac a run for their money. So a tip of the hat to Labatt's for setting foot in the seasonal beer ring. I can't wait to see what else they offer us in the next year. A Labatt's Winter Lager? :beer:

Has anyone else tried it yet? I picked one up today and I have to say, every beer in it is excellent. The Summer Ale is good and the Twist (blue with a hint of lime) is quite tasty. Plus with a Honey Lager and the regular Blue Light, this pack definitely gives the likes of Magic Hat, Sam Adams, and Saranac a run for their money. So a tip of the hat to Labatt's for setting foot in the seasonal beer ring. I can't wait to see what else they offer us in the next year. A Labatt's Winter Lager? :beer:

I was a big fan of the Labatt X-mas/Winter 12 pack with the Honey Lager, John Labatt Premium, Blue and 50, but as summer 12-packs go, I highly suggest the Leinenkugel's Explorer Pack..I was thrilled to see it at Wegman's

What's the price tag on this baby? I might have to check it out. I'm not impressed with Saranac's summer offerings so this may be a better and cheaper alternative.

What's the price tag on this baby? I might have to check it out. I'm not impressed with Saranac's summer offerings so this may be a better and cheaper alternative.

Oh man, I don't remember. I'll find out though. It's probably the price of a regular 24 pack.

Without any attempt to hijack this thread, I have a question for our beer connoisseurs. A while back we had a thread that answered this but I am 95% sure it was wiped out by the time travel of the server back to '07.

What is the difference between beer, ale, lager, pilsner, guinness and/or any other variation of what is generically referred to as "beer"? If I recall correctly, we had some decent experts on the topic.

Guest Sloth

I'm not an expert, but if it comes in a 12 ounce bottle and it makes me feel good...it's beer. Forget the beer, lager, ale, detailed stough. I know beers are different, but we all have are own taste and preferences. I'll go w/ a Sam Adam's Boston Lager anyday.

Fantastic. You sir have just made my night with this news.

I'm not an expert, but if it comes in a 12 ounce bottle and it makes me feel good...it's beer. Forget the beer, lager, ale, detailed stough. I know beers are different, but we all have are own taste and preferences. I'll go w/ a Sam Adam's Boston Lager anyday.

So was that your beverage of choice the other day? :D

A pilsner is a type of Lager.

The main difference between a pilsner and a lager is the yeast. A ale is made with a top fermenting yeast and is good for fermentation in warmer temps. Fermentation can also be a little quicker with an ale yeast.

A lager is made with a bottom fermenting yeast at cooler temps and will often take a little longer.

A stout is a type of ale.

Different ales and lagers (including pilsners) are made by adjusting the "grain bill"... that is... the types of grains used and the amounts of each. Barley, corn, rice, rye. The types of hops also makes a big difference as does the amount of of hops used and how long they are included in the boil of the wort (the run off from the steeped grains).

i hope this is helpful.

My favorite summer brew right now is Longhammer I.P.A from Red Hook. Its a very hoppy India Pale Ale - Crisp and light!

Guest Sloth
So was that your beverage of choice the other day? :D

I wish! I went cheap and drank Miller Lite. That's lowest I'll go though. Have you guys ever had a Natural Light? It's 3.99 for a 6 pack! You don't have to pay that much for it, but the taste makes you want to puke. I haven't, and never will again, touched Natural Light since college.

Natural Light is the WORST beer I have ever had. What about you guys?

I wish! I went cheap and drank Miller Lite. That's lowest I'll go though. Have you guys ever had a Natural Light? It's 3.99 for a 6 pack! You don't have to pay that much for it, but the taste makes you want to puke. I haven't, and never will again, touched Natural Light since college.

Natural Light is the WORST beer I have ever had. What about you guys?

Genny Cream Ale, I drank Genny Light for a long time and as soon as I had a Genny Cream Ale, i couldn't even drink Genny Light anymore.

A pilsner is a type of Lager.

The main difference between a pilsner and a lager is the yeast. A ale is made with a top fermenting yeast and is good for fermentation in warmer temps. Fermentation can also be a little quicker with an ale yeast.

A lager is made with a bottom fermenting yeast at cooler temps and will often take a little longer.

A stout is a type of ale.

Different ales and lagers (including pilsners) are made by adjusting the "grain bill"... that is... the types of grains used and the amounts of each. Barley, corn, rice, rye. The types of hops also makes a big difference as does the amount of of hops used and how long they are included in the boil of the wort (the run off from the steeped grains).

i hope this is helpful.

My favorite summer brew right now is Longhammer I.P.A from Red Hook. Its a very hoppy India Pale Ale - Crisp and light!

good stuff - it's been years since i brewed on my own - but i still retain a lot of what i learned in trying out the craft.

i used to live in the sea-tac area, so the redhook ipa is familiar to me. thing is, i didn't have a taste for ipa's when i lived out there, now i love ipa's above all else. am i to infer that you're getting redhook east of the mississippi?

for my own part, i tend to favor the heavier ales (scotch ale, reds, stouts) when it's cold outside, and i go for lagers and pales/ipa's when it's warmer out. i figure i am pretty typical in that way, at least among people who enjoy craft brews.

i used to live in the sea-tac area, so the redhook ipa is familiar to me. thing is, i didn't have a taste for ipa's when i lived out there, now i love ipa's above all else. am i to infer that you're getting redhook east of the mississippi?

for my own part, i tend to favor the heavier ales (scotch ale, reds, stouts) when it's cold outside, and i go for lagers and pales/ipa's when it's warmer out. i figure i am pretty typical in that way, at least among people who enjoy craft brews.

A-B bought 25% of redhook a while back I believe, and they now distribute to all states cept hawaii and alaska due to A-B's distribution network. In addition, they also opened a brewery in New Hampshire.

Guest Sloth
Genny Cream Ale, I drank Genny Light for a long time and as soon as I had a Genny Cream Ale, i couldn't even drink Genny Light anymore.

The light version of any good beer is tough to find. I REALLY like Sam Adam's Light beer. It's definitely the only light beer I actually enjoy drinking. All others either have little taste or are equivalent to drinking piss. :sick:

The light version of any good beer is tough to find. I REALLY like Sam Adam's Light beer. It's definitely the only light beer I actually enjoy drinking. All others either have little taste or are equivalent to drinking piss. :sick:

Haven't had Sam Adams Light but I definitely agree with the rest of your post. I'm not a big beer drinker to begin with, but light beer makes it so much worse.

And a :thumbsup: to whoever named Natty Light as the pisswater it is...

I have to agree, Sam Adams Light is the best light beer I've ever had. And I can even get it at the Citgo on the corner! Woo!

The Honey Lager is pretty good, but the other two are just 'ok'. Personally, I love a good German Hefeweizen (wheat beer). I especially like the Dunkelweizens (dark wheat). Franziskaner Hefe Weisse Dunkel is my favorite. A bit expensive at $35 a case, but the bottles are large (16.9 oz.). During the summer, I will probably switch to a lighter (non-Dunkel) Hefe or even a good German Pilsner. I especially like a good Schwarzbier (black beer). One of the few American beers that I actually like is Samual Adams' Black Lager.

By the way, BeerAdvocate.com is a great source of information on all things beer!

The Honey Lager is pretty good, but the other two are just 'ok'. Personally, I love a good German Hefeweizen (wheat beer). I especially like the Dunkelweizens (dark wheat). Franziskaner Hefe Weisse Dunkel is my favorite. A bit expensive at $35 a case, but the bottles are large (16.9 oz.). During the summer, I will probably switch to a lighter (non-Dunkel) Hefe or even a good German Pilsner. I especially like a good Schwarzbier (black beer). One of the few American beers that I actually like is Samual Adams' Black Lager.

By the way, BeerAdvocate.com is a great source of information on all things beer!

I love the Sam Adams Black Lager...I even drink it in the summer. Dark beers are the way to go. Have you tried Saranac Black Forest? I was drinking that a lot last winter.

A good local brew is Flying Bison Oatmeal Stout. You can get a jug of it at Premier (if you're local that is).

EDIT: 3 posts, 3 edits. I really need to proofread these things.

great choices..making me thirsty on this 95 degree Buffalo afternoon!

another great German option is Hacker-Pschorr from Munich..or Kapsreiter Landbier from Austria...

Guest Sloth
great choices..making me thirsty on this 95 degree Buffalo afternoon!

another great German option is Hacker-Pschorr from Munich..or Kapsreiter Landbier from Austria...

It's Friday fella's! Time to take people's favorite beer beverages on the board and put them to use! I wish there was a celebration of some sort to use as an excuse for drinking, though.

I tried the Labatt's summer pack last night. I was impressed. The honey lager is good and the summer blonde was really good. The twist was kind of a miss with me. It's good but I like the Miller Chill and Bud Light lime better than Labatt's twist.

Pilsner Urquell is a nice summertime pilsner.

I love the Sam Adams Black Lager...I even drink it in the summer. Dark beers are the way to go. Have you tried Saranac Black Forest? I was drinking that a lot last winter.

A good local brew is Flying Bison Oatmeal Stout. You can get a jug of it at Premier (if you're local that is).

I'm not as big a fan of Saranac's Black Forest; good, but not great. The nice thing about a Schwarzbier is that they are dark, but not heavy. They have just enough to give them the right color and a little less bland taste, but are still light enough to drink on a hot day.

I haven't tried Flying Bison, but I do like a good Oatmeal Stout. I also like Milk/Sweet Stouts. Actually, about the only beers that I do not like are most American beers and overly bitter/hoppy beers like IPA, though the latter is growing on me.

Archived