"Silly season in full swing"

wildcat48

Silly season is in full swing

Sometimes the off-season can be just as eventful for a hockey club as the regular season.

Every year the American Hockey League undergoes a few changes, but this year seems to have ratcheted silly season to a whole new level. Thats certainly the case for the Portland Pirates, who head into the off-season with many unanswered questions and very few answers.

As of right now, no one willing to talk about the future of the Pirates and that has only opened the doors wide open to speculation.

Link>>>>

Buffalo will #%^$#! themselves in this deal somehow, they are very good at it. Once LQ is done stepping on his dick over and over, maybe we'll hear something. It looks as though Rochester is ready to go with Florida full time. Whether or not the Amerks will be playing at the BC Arena, The Skating Institute of Rochester or Genesee Valley Ice Rink is another story.

I just don't know how seriously to take any of that, "Silly" headline notwithstanding. There's so much speculation about what team is going where, which affiliation is ending, and who is getting a new parent/farm club.

I just don't know how seriously to take any of that, "Silly" headline notwithstanding. There's so much speculation about what team is going where, which affiliation is ending, and who is getting a new parent/farm club.

That's the whole point of the article......:thumbsup:

Everybody is so hush-hush that it's led to speculation... Point is case is Dallas' situation, where are they going to place their players? Are they going to purchase Edmonton's dormant franchise? Will they play in Dallas until the new arena is built in Austin?

So much to be decided and nobody other than the parties involved know the whole story.

I'm not criticizing your column, just commenting that there have been so many rumors, so much speculation, so much anticipation over the last 12+ months that it's not surprising there has been no confirmation on anything. There seems to be a big "domino" feel to this all - once one move is officially made I think we'll see a lot of the other pieces fall into place soon after...

I think that Iowa terminating their relationship with Dallas really threw a wrench into things, and the dormant franchise under Edmonton's control is the big wildcard in all this...

I'm not criticizing your column

I was wondering if this thread was shameless self-promotion (not that there's anything wrong with that) when I saw it yesterday. Its good to finally see affiliation talk that has nothing to do with that sideshow that went on in Rochester this past year. If/when this deal does go down, I really hope wildcat sticks around to give us more information on the team. I doubt there's much of a Portland presence on this board, which I know would change a bit.

I was wondering if this thread was shameless self-promotion (not that there's anything wrong with that) when I saw it yesterday. Its good to finally see affiliation talk that has nothing to do with that sideshow that went on in Rochester this past year. If/when this deal does go down, I really hope wildcat sticks around to give us more information on the team. I doubt there's much of a Portland presence on this board, which I know would change a bit.

Yeah, wtf? Am I going to have to join a Panthers board and be their Rochester connection? Would them Miamonians understand anything I would be trying to tell them? Do they even have a message board? :doh:

I'm not criticizing your column, just commenting that there have been so many rumors, so much speculation, so much anticipation over the last 12+ months that it's not surprising there has been no confirmation on anything. There seems to be a big "domino" feel to this all - once one move is officially made I think we'll see a lot of the other pieces fall into place soon after...

I think that Iowa terminating their relationship with Dallas really threw a wrench into things, and the dormant franchise under Edmonton's control is the big wildcard in all this...

Oh.... I completely understand, no worries and if you want to criticize that's ok too. (just be gently - I bruise easily...... :lol: )

I agree with exactly what you said... :thumbsup: anticipation is a killer!!!!!

Thanks Shrader,

This has been one of the better message boards for the Sabres so I hope to stick around for as long as you'll keep me. (I'll kind of be like that creepy relative who moves into your basement and never leaves... :unsure: )

Yeah, it's self-promotion to an extent, but I think it's a two-way street. As write a story for either a newspaper, or my blog I try to get them up on other sites so people can read them. When I'm at a game and breaking news happens i.e.... player is scratched from the lineup or injury happens during the game I will post that as well.

It's all about getting the fan base the news in the quickest possible fashion and if I get a few hits along the way, then so be it. If not, then it was fun while it last and oh by the way can borrow some money....... :D

I should've put a ;) next to the shameless self-promotion comment. I remembered you mentioning that you were a writer, so I was curious as to whether or not that was your work.

The updates will be a very good thing. I've fallen a bit out of touch with the happenings in Rochester, especially since I've been in Boston. I can keep an eye on a lot of the prospects at the college level, but I haven't had too much time to pay attention to the AHL level. That's the one thing I know I'll like about this change of affiliation. They're closer to me now and I'll hear more about the team. I'll have to make a trip up at some point too. It gives me an excuse to visit some family in that area.

Why?

I think he means because the City of Rochester still has to agree to a lease with the Amerks, and they have said that they won't deal with the Amerks if Donner is still in a day-to-day operational capacity with the franchise.

I think he means because the City of Rochester still has to agree to a lease with the Amerks, and they have said that they won't deal with the Amerks if Donner is still in a day-to-day operational capacity with the franchise.

I think they are off that stance. The city has been in negotiations for the past week or two with the Amerks. And now that the K-Hawks have been approved by the NLL, there are really no more hurdles.

From a pretty good source, Styres and Staats are negotiating with the city on the lease. Donner has nothing to do with it. Which I think is good enough for the city at this point. Donner's responsibility is working out the affiliation with Florida, as he has experience with that.

Thanks Shrader,

This has been one of the better message boards for the Sabres so I hope to stick around for as long as you'll keep me. (I'll kind of be like that creepy relative who moves into your basement and never leaves... :unsure: )

Yeah, it's self-promotion to an extent, but I think it's a two-way street. As write a story for either a newspaper, or my blog I try to get them up on other sites so people can read them. When I'm at a game and breaking news happens i.e.... player is scratched from the lineup or injury happens during the game I will post that as well.

It's all about getting the fan base the news in the quickest possible fashion and if I get a few hits along the way, then so be it. If not, then it was fun while it last and oh by the way can borrow some money....... :D

[/quot

You mean like her:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-05/...ent_8283577.htm

I think they are off that stance. The city has been in negotiations for the past week or two with the Amerks. And now that the K-Hawks have been approved by the NLL, there are really no more hurdles.

From a pretty good source, Styres and Staats are negotiating with the city on the lease. Donner has nothing to do with it. Which I think is good enough for the city at this point. Donner's responsibility is working out the affiliation with Florida, as he has experience with that.

I haven't seen anything on the D&C site (nor anywhere else accessible through Google News Search) that indicates anything has changed in the City's stance. But I don't live in the Rochester area so there might be things going on that haven't made the news. Either way, I honestly couldn't care less if they are or are not negotiating, if Donner is in charge or not, or if the Amerks play in BC Arena or in a high school rink. (I really couldn't give two craps about the K-Hawks.) The Sabres are reportedly done with dealing with Donner and co., so I'm moving on and focusing my hockey attention to things that actually impact the Sabres and their players.

I haven't seen anything on the D&C site (nor anywhere else accessible through Google News Search) that indicates anything has changed in the City's stance. But I don't live in the Rochester area so there might be things going on that haven't made the news. Either way, I honestly couldn't care less if they are or are not negotiating, if Donner is in charge or not, or if the Amerks play in BC Arena or in a high school rink. (I really couldn't give two craps about the K-Hawks.) The Sabres are reportedly done with dealing with Donner and co., so I'm moving on and focusing my hockey attention to things that actually impact the Sabres and their players.

I don't need anyone to tell me "DUH!", but I get the picture that Donner is definitely not a popular guy around - please excuse me - Crotchester.

Archived