Eastern Conference Finals Game Discussion Thread

Bmwolf21

And that playoff beard is an outright abomination. If he shows up today with that thing they should give him an Unsportsmanship Penalty to start the game.

Some guys just can't grow facial hair. I go on an annual "guys weekend" trip and nobody every shaves. By the end, you can tell who can and who cannot grow a beard. Some guys have little patches like Crosby. Me, I have the opposite problem. I have 5 o'clock shadow ten minutes after I shave (with a blade, not an electric), so I gave up and grew a beard. Unfortunately, for Crosby, a playoff "beard" is not optional.

The feed just switched over from the Tribe-Reds game to the Pens-Flyers game - and I'm lovin' it! 3-0 Pittsburgh, Flyers crying about penalties - awesome so far.

I definitely would have taken Marty out to start the third, but that's just me.

I would much rather see the Sabres going through a post-playoff handshake line as the gracious victors, but watching the Cryers have to shake hands and congratulate any team is almost as nice.

BM, i disagree about marty...

He played a solid solid solid playoff this year, and he had a bad game along with the 18 other players today. Stephens knew they were toast with or without marty. IMO, john stephens showed marty some class in letting him finish the game, and the series. Nobody can take away that horrid game, but stephens allowed marty to show some face and finish the game, and that should be commended.

Not to take this into a miller vs. marty discussion, but i don't think you'll ever see miller give up a 6-0 showing in a clinching game. Miller is just too much of a gamer. With that said, I believe that we finally saw what marty can do for a team when the skaters in front of him are decent. He's an awesome goalie, and he's proven to be a clutch playoff performer. If I could wish doom upon any team, it would be the Philadelphia Flyers, however, I forsee them being a major force for years to come because of Martin Biron, a fine French-Canadian Clarence boy.

I probably would have gone to him and asked how he felt - if he wanted to go back out and then made the decision from there.

Personally I would have pulled him out of respect for him - not letting him continue to get lit up. I think back to Psycho Roy's meltdown in Montreal when he was left in during a 12-1 butt-kicking at the hands of the Red Wings. I wouldn't want to lose my goalie's confidence that way, but it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

BM, i disagree about marty...

He played a solid solid solid playoff this year, and he had a bad game along with the 18 other players today. Stephens knew they were toast with or without marty. IMO, john stephens showed marty some class in letting him finish the game, and the series. Nobody can take away that horrid game, but stephens allowed marty to show some face and finish the game, and that should be commended.

Not to take this into a miller vs. marty discussion, but i don't think you'll ever see miller give up a 6-0 showing in a clinching game. Miller is just too much of a gamer. With that said, I believe that we finally saw what marty can do for a team when the skaters in front of him are decent. He's an awesome goalie, and he's proven to be a clutch playoff performer. If I could wish doom upon any team, it would be the Philadelphia Flyers, however, I forsee them being a major force for years to come because of Martin Biron, a fine French-Canadian Clarence boy.

Biron had a good run this year, and turned a lot of heads.

He's streaky and got hot. But he did give up a couple of softies today that just put Philly out of it. I really don't think he's the guy that takes that team to the next level, but he is good enough to get you to the playoffs.

I probably would have gone to him and asked how he felt - if he wanted to go back out and then made the decision from there.

Personally I would have pulled him out of respect for him - not letting him continue to get lit up. I think back to Psycho Roy's meltdown in Montreal when he was left in during a 12-1 butt-kicking at the hands of the Red Wings. I wouldn't want to lose my goalie's confidence that way, but it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

You certainly make that move in a regular season game.

But in an elimination game you have to ride your best option even if it looks bleak.

You certainly make that move in a regular season game.

But in an elimination game you have to ride your best option even if it looks bleak.

Like I said, you're screwed either way. If you do make the change it might look like you are running up the white flag, and if you don't and the starter continues to struggle, then you run the risk of alienating him and other players.

Some guys just can't grow facial hair. I go on an annual "guys weekend" trip and nobody every shaves. By the end, you can tell who can and who cannot grow a beard. Some guys have little patches like Crosby. Me, I have the opposite problem. I have 5 o'clock shadow ten minutes after I shave (with a blade, not an electric), so I gave up and grew a beard. Unfortunately, for Crosby, a playoff "beard" is not optional.

I can't grow a beard. Never have been able to. I tell people I have evolved further.

Archived