Ranking the Minor Leagues

Chief Enabler

After sifting through projected draft sites, I wanted to ask for your personal preference on the which Minor leagues are given the highest creditablility, towards drafting and pruning picks in general. There are so many leagues around the world, and without going into the AHL tiers. Hopefully by the time the thread has run its course (I or we) can agree on a status quo.

I really am not to familiar with all the European Jr. leagues either, but would like to learn more. I get alittle confused between their professional & junior programs.

How would rank the leagues? and thoughts.

1. OHL

2. WHL

3. American Colleges

4. QMJHL

5. Swedish Juniors

6. Russian Dynamo (Super Hockey League?)

(USHL & AHL not included) Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Wikipedia's list of all minor league systems

After sifting through projected draft sites, I wanted to ask for your personal preference on the which Minor leagues are given the highest creditablility, towards drafting and pruning picks in general. There are so many leagues around the world, and without going into the AHL tiers. Hopefully by the time the thread has run its course (I or we) can agree on a status quo.

I really am not to familiar with all the European Jr. leagues either, but would like to learn more. I get alittle confused between their professional & junior programs.

How would rank the leagues? and thoughts.

1. OHL

2. WHL

3. American Colleges

4. QMJHL

5. Swedish Juniors

6. Russian Dynamo (Super Hockey League?)

(USHL & AHL not included) Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Wikipedia's list of all minor league systems

Quite a question: I think the Better NCAA div 1 schools would beat most junior teams. Older, more physically mature.

As far as juniors, I would say OHL, WHL, and then Q. but I haven't watched a lot of juniors in some time.

As far as drafting ......the league reputations would be WHL for toughness, OHL for overall skill, and the Q for offensive skill.

Does anybody know if Memorial Cup tickets are hard to get? It's in Kitchener next month. You could probably get a sense firsthand.

I'm confused as to why you're saying minor leagues at all. Minors and juniors are completely different things. The minors are what we could consider professionals. You also made a point to exclude the AHL and the USHL. The USHL should be included in your list of junior leagues. Its basically a feeder for the college teams and to a lesser extent, the canadian juniors, but it definitely does not fall in the same category as the AHL.

The only other american junior leagues that ever get mentioning (and very minimal mentioning) are the NAHL and the EJHL. Both are well behind the USHL and most serve as feeder leagues for the lower level college teams and recruits.

The only other american junior leagues that ever get mentioning (and very minimal mentioning) are the NAHL and the EJHL. Both are well behind the USHL and most serve as feeder leagues for the lower level college teams and recruits.

what i've always wondered is why the us ntdp plays in the nahl which is (like you said) well behind the ushl. i imagine it's a geographic thing (which is bull), but if that's the "premier" development program for u.s. hockey, then it should be playing against the top competition.

what i've always wondered is why the us ntdp plays in the nahl which is (like you said) well behind the ushl. i imagine it's a geographic thing (which is bull), but if that's the "premier" development program for u.s. hockey, then it should be playing against the top competition.

They play a very heavy exhibition schedule, including many of the top college programs. You're probably dead on with the geographical thing. Its basically a fine tuning thing until they can go off and play in the world tourneys.

Archived