UFA D: Andreas Lilja

carpandean

I was looking through the UFA defensemen coming up and noticed Detroit has a lot of Dmen and several are UFAs this year. I started poking around and found Andreas Lilja. All I really knew about him was that he was part of the trio with Tallinder falsely (?) charged with rape. However, after seeing his size (6' 3", 230 lbs.), I thought I'd do a search. Then, I came across this article about the his play during last years playoffs:

http://wingsfanmiah.blogspot.com/2007/06/l...nt-playoff.html

Basically, it sounds like a loaded Detroit D was underutilizing him and, when they did call upon him in the playoffs, he stepped up big as a top four defensemen. He'll never be a big point scorer, but here's a few facts that I like about him:

- Big, really big

- Physical, stay-at-home defensemen

- Has played with Tallinder (maybe a new, better pairing than Tallydman?)

- Some good playoff experience last year

- Played out West, so knows the physical game

- Could probably be picked up rather cheaply -- he only made $1 million last year

If the Sabres want to bring in some size and physical play on their blue line, he might be one of those surprise, bargain pickups. Of course, I may be speaking out my @ss since I haven't really seen his play. Has anyone else?

Nice piece of scouting, pass the Info on too DR.

One thing that stood out in the piece to me as the only negative was the number of give aways he had however that is something Lindy could correct. I would trade Kalinin for him in a heart beat...

One thing that stood out in the piece to me as the only negative was the number of give aways he had however that is something Lindy possibly could correct. I would trade Kalinin for him in a heart beat...

Fixed it for you. ;)

Lindy and/or Patrick haven't appeared to be too successful with limiting Lydman's nor Dmitri's errant passes; there's only so much a coach can do.

Fixed it for you. ;)

Lindy and/or Patrick haven't appeared to be too successful with limiting Lydman's nor Dmitri's errant passes; there's only so much a coach can do.

True that, I stand corrected, hell Max bears witness to that more than any player Lindy's tried to work with.... :ph34r:

See, video scouting does work. ;)

I would trade Kalinin for him in a heart beat...

It seems he is good at blocking shots, too (I saw several references to this.) If they could trade off Lydman for picks/prospects and/or as part of another deal, the sign him for less. Lindy could work on fixing the giveaways -- part may be that he hadn't played full-time during the season -- and I can't see Tallinder/Lilja being any worse than Tallinder/Lydman, and in many ways, they might be much better. Definitely wouldn't be the solution to all of our problems (far from it), but an interesting side option.

Edit: he broke his stick over his leg after that give (take?) away last year: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2S__gUIGi_c

Edit 2: and he gets no love from the Leafs' fans:

Edit 3: two big hits with just arm strength (good shot of the second one at about 0:46):

We need to find a defensive minded D-man this off-season, that can make good breakout passes. If Sekera and Weber take off next year that will help out a lot. Sekera is turning into a nice puck mover and Weber is tough as nails and is going to be a physical, shot blocking demon IMO. We may want to look into picking up two D men this off season. I don't trust Paetsch enough to be anything other than a number 7. It'd be nice to have a couple of veteran D men that can be interchanged with Tallinder and Lydman if they play like dump and need a shake up with who they are paired with.

We need to find a defensive minded D-man this off-season, that can make good breakout passes. If Sekera and Weber take off next year that will help out a lot. Sekera is turning into a nice puck mover and Weber is tough as nails and is going to be a physical, shot blocking demon IMO. We may want to look into picking up two D men this off season. I don't trust Paetsch enough to be anything other than a number 7. It'd be nice to have a couple of veteran D men that can be interchanged with Tallinder and Lydman if they play like dump and need a shake up with who they are paired with.

Just for fun, how would this sound:

Spacek-Norstrom

Tallinder-Lilja

Sekera-Weber

Other than the fact that they are all lefties, that's one stay-at-home physical defenseman and one more finesse, puck-moving defenseman on each pair. Norstrom will be expensive, if you can even get him. He was, however, a very popular team captain of the Kings and would provide amazing veteran leadership.

Great....Keenan doesn't like Husilleus in Calgary anymore, so we might as well get him too. Then instead of printing just "assumption of risk with flying pucks" on the back of the ticket, they can add "do not leave your teenage daughters unattended" as well.

Great....Keenan doesn't like Husilleus in Calgary anymore, so we might as well get him too. Then instead of printing just "assumption of risk with flying pucks" on the back of the ticket, they can add "do not leave your teenage daughters unattended" as well.

Well, at least you know that they're team players. :blink:

One thing that stood out in the piece to me as the only negative was the number of give aways he had however that is something Lindy could correct. I would trade Kalinin for him in a heart beat...

Ugh, I cannot even look at your avatar...

Ugh, I cannot even look at your avatar...

I don't remember his name, but I believe that is the dog that won a national ugliest dog contest. That breed has is hairless (except the tufts) and has chronic dental problems that cause them to lose their teeth, letting their tongues hang out.

Man, I watch to much in the 500's (History, Discovery, Military, ...).

Man, I watch to much in the 500's (History, Discovery, Military, ...).

No shame in that...I believe that last week I was surfing around in the higher channels and learned that the main reason chimpanzees are not nearer to the intelligence of human beings is that they don't know how to pass information on through generations/teach their children. So there is something to be said about those higher channels.

Archived