Watched a show about physics and the body

Wacka

I have seen a show on on Fox Sports Net called Sports Science that shows for example, if Michael Jordan really defied gravity. They have pro athletes on it. Last night they did spots on the force needed to break a leg bone, what was needed to rupture a spleen (they showed Sims from the TB Bucs), if a pitch or hit ball is more damaging, and in the last segment, they looked at how close Malarchuck was to bleeding out and went into detail about the injury, They showed it from all angles and I saw more than I ever did when I saw it live on TV back then.

They tested it by having a bag of blood with the same volume as the human circulatory system at 18 psi (normal human bp).They poked a hole in it the size of the cut he had and showed that all the blood drained out in about 2 minutes. They said what saved him was the trainer coming within 20 seconds and pinching off the vein. He had already lost 5-10% of his blood.

They also had a segment about watching your own injuries. Malarchuck was on it and they hooked him up to a lie detector. He said that he has seen it a lot of times and that it doesn't bother him. The test showed otherwise. His breathing went up, his bp went up, his galvanic skin response went up and his heartbeat doubled, even though he looked calm. They also said that is what happens when the fans watch injuries.

Interesting read Wacka, thanks.

My local cable company carries Comcast Sports out of DC/Balt so I've never had the chance to catch that show as they're not a FSN affilliate. I remember a thread that AD started - and he also found some video online - it was about being struck by a hockey stick or a baseball bat, which one was more damaging. If memory serves they used a mellon and went to town on it.

Seems like a really cool show.

I always thought your body would go into shock and the blood would coagulate. Therefore the flow pressure would decrease as your blood coagulated.

It would also have other directions to flow through the body, instead of all going in that one direction, right? But still, the point stands. You don't have very much time when that happens.

I just went online from work here, and searched for it on DirecTV. I just ordered both my HR20 DVR's to record it at 1300 today on Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain. I love DirecTV! Thanks for the information, it sounds like an interesting show.

I just went online from work here, and searched for it on DirecTV. I just ordered both my HR20 DVR's to record it at 1300 today on Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain. I love DirecTV! Thanks for the information, it sounds like an interesting show.

I can't remember if it was here or the Bills board, but someone linked to this show before. It was a response to the Chris Simon stick swinging incident and Jose Offerman going insane. They tested to see which would do more damage, a baseball bat or a hockey stick to the head. Yeah, the answer is obvious, but it was still interesting. I'd search for it, but I doubt it survived the great board crash of '08.

I can't remember if it was here or the Bills board, but someone linked to this show before. It was a response to the Chris Simon stick swinging incident and Jose Offerman going insane. They tested to see which would do more damage, a baseball bat or a hockey stick to the head. Yeah, the answer is obvious, but it was still interesting. I'd search for it, but I doubt it survived the great board crash of '08.

Stick vs Bat

NlkTXorctto

Archived