Some Players DO stay for less money

rickshaw

The Canucks re-signed soon to be free agent, Sami Salo yesterday, to a new 4 year contract worth $14 million. It includes a NTC.

So Salo is staying in Vancity for 4 more years. He likes the area, and thinks the team has a chance going fwd as the Sedins, Luongo and the other top 3 d-men are signed for 3 plus years each.

Salo could have easily tested the market and gotten Jay McKee money.

My hope is that Chris Drury and Danny Briere think along the same lines as Salo. We have a good thing going here and it won't kill them to take a small hometown discount. Time will tell.

The Canucks re-signed soon to be free agent, Sami Salo yesterday, to a new 4 year contract worth $14 million. It includes a NTC.

So Salo is staying in Vancity for 4 more years. He likes the area, and thinks the team has a chance going fwd as the Sedins, Luongo and the other top 3 d-men are signed for 3 plus years each.

My hope is that Chris Drury and Danny Briere think along the same lines as Salo. We have a good thing going here and it won't kill them to take a small hometown discount. Time will tell.

Big problem, Darcy doesn't negotiate during the season

You probably could sign Drury and briere to reasonablle contracts right now if they include significant amount of years, butit would have to be done now. By doing it now, it would take some uncertainty away from the players because they would now know where they will be playing for years to come, instead of worrying now about where they may end up. If you wait til the end of the season, The players are close enough to becoming FA's that they might as well see whats out there for them. If their agents allowed either of them to re-sign with Buffalo after the seasons over before testing FA, that agent should be fired

Wait a minute!!! Doesn't the Vancouver GM realize that team chemistry will be ruined if you extend contracts during the season? <_<

Instead he stayed for Spacek money. What a guy. <_<

Salo could have gotten anywhere from $4 - $4.5 Million per season.

He ended up with a no trade clause, 4 years as well. That is the better part of $2 million he potentially gave up.

In this day and age, it's a positive sign. He stayed on a team on the rise, in a City where his kids are growing up, etc. Hopefully our Sabre FA's will do the same. So yea, Salo, what a guy. :thumbsup:

but he did this in a mid-season resigning.

this seems to be the only way that reduced price, stay at home deals are done. You cant expect the same kind of bargain once the season ends. The FA market is an entirely different story, and the highest bidder/incentive usually gets the player. Change the policy Darcy!!!

I don't understand this logic that if they hadn't signed him now he wouldn't have signed the same deal later. It is already very close to FA season, I think if he wanted to test the waters he wouldn't have signed anything now. I get that in January plyers may be willing to take a discout for security, but signing in March tells me he would have taken the discount even during FA. The guy knew what he was worth he doesn't need to see offers to know the monetary range he is in. I agree with Darcy's policy, if a player wants to become FA he is going to become FA no matter when nogotations begin. But hey that is just my opinion.

Archived