This Day in Sabres History: March 26th

PASabreFan

History changes the definition of a "western" swing. I still remember falling asleep to Ted Darling with an earplug into my transistor radio as the Sabres took on either the Kings. Canucks, or Golden Seals at 11:05pm.

I remember running out to buy the Sunday Morning news to see if they won in Los Angeles! Boy, things have changed!

I remember running out to buy the Sunday Morning news to see if they won in Los Angeles! Boy, things have changed!

Are you sure you weren't buying the Courier-Express? Usually the final was too late to make the morning paper, and no internet to check the final if Stan Barron didn't give it to you.

Anybody else call those expensive 900 phone lines to get updated scores? I know I had some problems explaining to my Mom that they were really sports lines I was calling!

Dude, why would you use a 900 #, when the Sabres would update the info on "the Sabres hotline" 1-800-333-PUCK daily and more often than that near the trade deadline? :o

Heck, you could even transfer over to their communications department and have John Gurtler look up which satellite the game feed would be on. B-)

This was pre-800-PUCK and pre-Gurtler. I want to say early 80s.

In later years, I WOULD call the 800 number and ask for somebody, just so I could be put on hold for a moment and hear Jeanneret highlights. Better than Muzak!

History changes the definition of a "western" swing. I still remember falling asleep to Ted Darling with an earplug into my transistor radio as the Sabres took on either the Kings. Canucks, or Golden Seals at 11:05pm.

Same here. How cool was that as a kid listening to games late at night.

Archived