What happened to the SHG in Buffalo??

wjag

Last year this team was able to turn a series or two with SHGs. This year, the acronym is only in our lexicon cause of the SHG against.

One would think that with this team speed and the ample opportunities they give opponents on the PP that a few would have been scored.

I can't recall when the last one was...

Granted the players are different this year, but this current squad is faster and the system is the same. You'd think that they would get a few, but this well is bone dry.

So is it bad play, bad system, other teams adjusting, bad players, bad coaching, bad luck? I've got to believe that it comes down to the style of play on the PK this year. Of course letting all those PP goals in sure does limit the opportunities...

This needs to be fixed. Want the other team to back off a bit on the PP, have them worrying that a mistake will end up in their goal.

We need this part of the Sabres game back... It was what made them so dangerous in the playoffs last year...

Last year this team was able to turn a series or two with SHGs. This year, the acronym is only in our lexicon cause of the SHG against.

One would think that with this team speed and the ample opportunities they give opponents on the PP that a few would have been scored.

I can't recall when the last one was...

Granted the players are different this year, but this current squad is faster and the system is the same. You'd think that they would get a few, but this well is bone dry.

So is it bad play, bad system, other teams adjusting, bad players, bad coaching, bad luck? I've got to believe that it comes down to the style of play on the PK this year. Of course letting all those PP goals in sure does limit the opportunities...

This needs to be fixed. Want the other team to back off a bit on the PP, have them worrying that a mistake will end up in their goal.

We need this part of the Sabres game back... It was what made them so dangerous in the playoffs last year...

The last shorty was by Mike Ryan assisted by Jochen Hecht against Montreal in the 8 - 5 game a few Fridays ago.

Not having Mike Grier and Tim Connelly on top of the PK is a big reason.

100% agree on that. But, I was very encouraged by the play of the PK last night against Washington. They got a few scoring chances when Pominville and Roy were on the ice together. I had been disappointed by the play of the PK recently, and I was thinking the same thing, where is the attack in the PK? If last night was any indication, I think the attack is back in the PK, at least I hope so.

Thanks. I keep them in my head.

Seriously... I got to thinking... usually a bad thing... how many goals can one team score? We're all upset that they haven't gotten more power-play and shorthanded goals. But with the team scoring so much five on five, maybe it's just a case of the pressure being off in terms of having to generate offense from special teams. Last year, things were the other way around. Just a kooky thought.

Thanks. I keep them in my head.

Seriously... I got to thinking... usually a bad thing... how many goals can one team score? We're all upset that they haven't gotten more power-play and shorthanded goals. But with the team scoring so much five on five, maybe it's just a case of the pressure being off in terms of having to generate offense from special teams. Last year, things were the other way around. Just a kooky thought.

I had the same thought recently. Last year the PP was on fire, but we couldn't score 5 on 5 goals to save our life and a lot of people thought that was a weakness. I guess there's always aspects of the team to question, but as long as they win games, who cares.

I had the same thought recently. Last year the PP was on fire, but we couldn't score 5 on 5 goals to save our life and a lot of people thought that was a weakness. I guess there's always aspects of the team to question, but as long as they win games, who cares.

I'm not too concerned about the PP for just this reason. If they scored one more PPG per game, they would be near the top of the the league. At the same time, they score one less 5 on 5, it's a wash.

The PK is much more worrisome. Allowing those goals is what will lose games. I liked what I saw last night, but not sure if it's because of what we did, or because of what Wash didn't do.

Hopefully the former, and time will tell.

When is the last time we've seen a Pommer, Hecht or Roy holding the puck in the opposition's corner boards for 10-15 seconds at a time?

Archived