Stickwork, Hits to the Head, Respect

Bmwolf21

I've been thinking about the uproar about stick fouls, concussions, headshots, cheap shots, and the apparent lack of respect between players, and I have to wonder - is it as bad as it seems? Do players now care less about each other than they did in the past? Is it something where incidents are less frequent as they used to be, so they seem to stand out? Is the increased media - ESPN, Center Ice, the Internet - adding fuel to the fire in the sense of clips being available and distributed immediately?

Finally, what is the solution? How does the NHL stop these things - the Drury hit, Kaberle's mugging, even Souray's unnecessary slashing on Vanek? Does the NHL need to start throwing out big, automatic suspensions for these type of plays?

I honestly don't even know what to say right now. It seems to me that there has been a surge in the amount of crap, stick work, head shots, etc, and it makes the NHL look bush league when they don't intervene and start punishing players for the crap they pull. Neil - no suspensions? Orpik - 3 games for breaking a neck? We're seeing too many guys over the last couple years taken off the ice on stretchers as the result of an illegal/cheap hit. Somethings got to give, and I am afraid we are going to see someone else seriously hurt.

I've been thinking about the uproar about stick fouls, concussions, headshots, cheap shots, and the apparent lack of respect between players, and I have to wonder - is it as bad as it seems? Do players now care less about each other than they did in the past? Is it something where incidents are less frequent as they used to be, so they seem to stand out? Is the increased media - ESPN, Center Ice, the Internet - adding fuel to the fire in the sense of clips being available and distributed immediately?

Finally, what is the solution? How does the NHL stop these things - the Drury hit, Kaberle's mugging, even Souray's unnecessary slashing on Vanek? Does the NHL need to start throwing out big, automatic suspensions for these type of plays?

I honestly don't even know what to say right now. It seems to me that there has been a surge in the amount of crap, stick work, head shots, etc, and it makes the NHL look bush league when they don't intervene and start punishing players for the crap they pull. Neil - no suspensions? Orpik - 3 games for breaking a neck? We're seeing too many guys over the last couple years taken off the ice on stretchers as the result of an illegal/cheap hit. Somethings got to give, and I am afraid we are going to see someone else seriously hurt.

You raise a lot of legitimate questions and some good observations. Apparently the penalties and suspensions that the NHL does enforce appear to be no deterrent at all. One of these situations which has reared its ugly head started several years ago with the Bertoozie/Moore sitaution. Its only recently come to light again with the Chris Neil hit on Chris Drury. And now tonight another incident occured in the Toronto game. Until the powers that be at the top of the NHL food chain begin to seriously lay down heavy penalities this type of behavior will continue. At the same time if someone is seriously injured because of one of these cheap shots which ultimately could possibly end someone's career will the fans call for someones head on a platter? I cannot believe that carelessness like this continues to be allowed to run amok in the NHL with rule enforcement, fines and suspensions or lack thereof. Personally, I feel that there is a need for a change required at the top. Bettman and Campbell have no business being apart of this wonderful sport that rabid hockey fans like myself enjoy so much. I think that it's time for an owner/owners to seriously contemplate asking for Bettmans dismissal, the same for Campbell.

Its obvious to me that Bettman and Campbell are incompetent. The only thing that Bettman and Campbell should be allowed to hold is the office of Dog Catcher in some Canadien backwater town.

When I saw Souray do what he did to Vanek, I told the wife, "that is what needs to be a suspension."

The Habs are down by 2 with less than 20 seconds left and SS woodchops Vanek for what??? What if Vanek had broken his arm?

The NHL should be suspending Souray, no question. The score is out of reach, there is no way that he should be doing that. Brutal. Gutless.

The hit by Janssen was ridiculous. He'll get a suspension as a Leaf was injured. That cannot happen to a Leaf.

Souray is a piece of shite. He won't get diddly for what he did, but he should.

that sourey chop should be a suspension you can tell by how much he wound up he was trying to hurt someone.

As far as that hit one Kaberle..................... It's exactly what Campbell has made this leagues into. When you don't penalize the borderline hits that cause injury what do you think your telling the players?

that sourey chop should be a suspension you can tell by how much he wound up he was trying to hurt someone.

As far as that hit one Kaberle..................... It's exactly what Campbell has made this leagues into. When you don't penalize the borderline hits that cause injury what do you think your telling the players?

Janssen's hit was not borderline, is was a clear-cut late hit, and he should've been kicked out of the game for it. Kaberle had let go of the puck several seconds ago, much much later than the Drury incident.

Officiating is a joke.

Janssen's hit was not borderline, is was a clear-cut late hit, and he should've been kicked out of the game for it. Kaberle had let go of the puck several seconds ago, much much later than the Drury incident.

Officiating is a joke.

that is my point thou. if you allow the borderline hits that are injuring players it opens the door for later and later and dirtier and dirtier hits. you know the saying give them a inch they will take a mile. I mean come on listen to Janssen's comments defending his hit. It's like a cut and paste of Neils.

They need to replace Colin and also put in a panel that automaticly reviews hits like this. No need to send in a tape to the leagues cause they would be reviewing them all anyways.

You raise a lot of legitimate questions and some good observations. Apparently the penalties and suspensions that the NHL does enforce appear to be no deterrent at all. One of these situations which has reared its ugly head started several years ago with the Bertoozie/Moore sitaution. Its only recently come to light again with the Chris Neil hit on Chris Drury. And now tonight another incident occured in the Toronto game. Until the powers that be at the top of the NHL food chain begin to seriously lay down heavy penalities this type of behavior will continue. At the same time if someone is seriously injured because of one of these cheap shots which ultimately could possibly end someone's career will the fans call for someones head on a platter? I cannot believe that carelessness like this continues to be allowed to run amok in the NHL with rule enforcement, fines and suspensions or lack thereof. Personally, I feel that there is a need for a change required at the top. Bettman and Campbell have no business being apart of this wonderful sport that rabid hockey fans like myself enjoy so much. I think that it's time for an owner/owners to seriously contemplate asking for Bettmans dismissal, the same for Campbell.

Its obvious to me that Bettman and Campbell are incompetent. The only thing that Bettman and Campbell should be allowed to hold is the office of Dog Catcher in some Canadien backwater town.

One thing to remember when evaluating how pathetic the league's system of post game justice is, is that the NHLPA lobbies HARD to keep from having players suspended and to get minimal suspensions when they are "unavoidable".

I absolutely think that the league is far too lenient in what they call and how they call it (as far as suspensions go), but just remember, the owners and GM's aren't the only ones with a rep in that office / conference call. The NHLPA is there and needs to significantly adjust it's position on these matters.

One thing to remember when evaluating how pathetic the league's system of post game justice is, is that the NHLPA lobbies HARD to keep from having players suspended and to get minimal suspensions when they are "unavoidable".

I absolutely think that the league is far too lenient in what they call and how they call it (as far as suspensions go), but just remember, the owners and GM's aren't the only ones with a rep in that office / conference call. The NHLPA is there and needs to significantly adjust it's position on these matters.

You make some excellent points. I did not realize that the NHLPA had their say in this matter. I learned something new today which is always a good thing. Now that I know this I'm thinking that the NHLPA reps need their heads examined as well. Whatever the case you are correct there truly does need to be a significant change in the enforcement of penalties including getting the officials that call these games on board as well. I noticed in another thread that Janessen or however his name is spelled receievd a three game suspension for his hit on another player. This is a good start and it needs to be closely monitored so that if it happens again the same punishment is doled out. There cannot be a double standard in this league. I would hate to have someone get seriously hurt by a cheapshot only to have his career ended. Anyway I'm done with my rant. Good post.

What good is a three-game suspension of a team's lesser light going to do? It's a small price to pay for perhaps knocking an opponent's best player out for the season. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the idea of suspending a player for as long as the victim is out of the lineup. Or, to make the penalty even harsher, all suspensions are served by the offending team's captain. Am I onto to something, or just on something, here?

LIsten, either the league wants to get rid of this stuff or it doesn't. Clearly, they don't want to get rid of it. As someone pointed out (sorry, I forget who), the fans love this stuff too much, and these incidents bring way too much publicity to the league for the league to want to get rid of it. I suggest we live it. And certainly not pine for the "old days" when players respected each other. When was that exactly?

Officiating is a joke.

Why not use replay in cases where a player is injured?

Archived