Is it just me?

deluca67

i don't know about that. i think everyone wants to write them off, but i've been to quite a few canes games this year and they've really impressed me. they remind me of buffalo in way, as they have great team speed, no real "superstars," and get balanced scoring. the key for them is goaltending. if gerber keeps it up, i think they're in good shape.

well i think the canes are damned good... there not damned great.... i think they've got 2 rounds in them... however the last time they were in the playoffs they went alot farther with probably half the talent they have now... so who knows... i think there beatable though. an injury to Staal will all but cripple that team... there are other there who can play but Staal is a huge part of it.

well i think the canes are damned good... there not damned great.... i think they've got 2 rounds in them... however the last time they were in the playoffs they went alot farther with probably half the talent they have now... so who knows... i think there beatable though. an injury to Staal will all but cripple that team... there are other there who can play but Staal is a huge part of it.

staal's a huge part of it, but two guys who are more important to the team (in my opinion) are gerber and brind'amour. brind'amour does everything for that club and is by far and away their heart and soul. without a top goalie they're screwed as the d is banged up and average at best. there's some talk that they may sign jack johnson and give him a shot on the blueline for some depth. all in all they have a good mix of vets and youngsters and weight only makes them that much more potent. will they win the cup? i doubt it, but they'll probably get out of the first round barring any major injuries or setbacks.

I dunno DeLuca, youre the same guy that wanted the Sabres to lose to Ottawa.... I think the Canes are damn good.

Don't be another TK.

If you want to qoute me or refer to my posts at least keep them in the context in which they were written.

My post was intended to give a different perspective on the Sens/Sabres match up. The point that was made was that maybe for the long run it would have been better to lose the game in the sense of keeping the players grounded. The Sabres have a tough road which everyone knows. They have the third toughest schedule according to THN. Dealing with younger players is always about confidence. Not having enough or having too much. It's a tremendous balancing act.

I don't understand why the concept of looking at things from different angles is so upsetting to some. :huh:

Guest Guest_toddkaz

thanks for the help in letting us in on some insight.

Carolina is the best team in hockey. They are probably not done dealing. They hae strong enough players that their "chemistry" is not ruined by trades. Unlike our fans that feel our "kids" are so fragile if we don't watch out we will be out o the playoffs first. Unless we trade for some more talent.

Who's to say that their chemistry wouldn't be ruined by a bad trade? There are plenty of teams in history who have stacked up talent, but still been unsuccessful.

I am not sure you people understand hockey. Their is more to chemistry then just stacking your team.

Coaching is what chemistry is mostly about. Do I need to explain that too you too?

Stacking a team or winning for most of the season and trading for a few peices of the puzzle are 2 different things.

You saying Carolina is stacking their team by what you are saying. Don't you think they are trading to fill in some missing peices?

Also a lot more teams lose in the playoffs for not making trades.

ie. Buffalo in 2004 missing the playoffs by a few points. Trading for some talent might have pushed them in.

Well for once I agree with you. A lot of our team chemistry has to do with coaching. Lindy Ruff spent a lot of the lockout in Rochester helping to develop our young talent. This is probably one of the reasons that our team chemistry is so strong. That leads one to believe that team chemistry develops over time, not overnight (do I need to explain that to you?) Any trade this team makes should be to fill in some gaps. Defense first.

A lot of the trade ideas you have are more about putting a big name in a Sabres uniform, rather than addressing the specific needs of the team.

The Sabres made some deadline moves in 2004. Maybe if they had brought in a star they would have made the playoffs...but then again maybe they wouldn't have. What would the price have been of bringing in a star? Maybe the price was too high for a star player. Maybe they would have had to have given up a player who has been a big piece of the puzzle this year.

Or does Carolina seem the most likely to fall from the top in the final stretch? I know their schedule is not very tough. If they don't fall? I expect them to be a 'one and done' in the playoffs.

Buffalo, Carolina, and the Rangers are probably the three teams we should be talking about here. They're the three surprise teams built on youth. Because of that soft schedule, Carolina would probably be the least likely to fall from the top. Based on what I've seen of the Rangers, I'd say that they're much more likely to fall off than we are, but I'm sure that there's a bit of a homer in me when I say that.

Don't be another TK.

If you want to qoute me or refer to my posts at least keep them in the context in which they were written.

My post was intended to give a different perspective on the Sens/Sabres match up. The point that was made was that maybe for the long run it would have been better to lose the game in the sense of keeping the players grounded. The Sabres have a tough road which everyone knows. They have the third toughest schedule according to THN. Dealing with younger players is always about confidence. Not having enough or having too much. It's a tremendous balancing act.

I don't understand why the concept of looking at things from different angles is so upsetting to some. :huh:

Get over yourself dude. I was only joking.

Buffalo in 2004 missing the playoffs by a few points. Trading for some talent might have pushed them in.

So your going to completely disregard the state of the team and the NHL in 2004. All the moves in 2004 (or lack of) were geared towards the lockout and 2005-06.

At the time I was as loud a complainer about the lack of moves as anyone. But seeing the results today I am willing to throw my lot behind the direction and plan of the franchise.

I don't expect Golisano, Quinn or Regier to be swayed off course by the teams early success. The plan is to build a solid Franchise with a solid foundation. The goal is to have a team that will contend for many Cups over many seasons not just a one and done.

Any deal Regier will make must fit the blue print that is solidly in place.

So your going to completely disregard the state of the team and the NHL in 2004. All the moves in 2004 (or lack of) were geared towards the lockout and 2005-06.

At the time I was as loud a complainer about the lack of moves as anyone. But seeing the results today I am willing to throw my lot behind the direction and plan of the franchise.

I don't expect Golisano, Quinn or Regier to be swayed off course by the teams early success. The plan is to build a solid Franchise with a solid foundation. The goal is to have a team that will contend for many Cups over many seasons not just a one and done.

Any deal Regier will make must fit the blue print that is solidly in place.

DeLuca, you're missing the whole point....The Sabres should not try to build a winner over the long haul, they should bring in star players now, so Todd can have some big name players on his PS2 NHL 06 roster.

I have only played NHL2004 on my ps2 but you can create players on it so I am not worried about that.

We were close it 1999 just think if we traded our 2000 #1 pick and a prospect for a player like Guerin or chelios or Fluery

or in 1998 we traded for players we would have won the cup....Hull didnt get drafted on Dallas. So if we have a chance to win then do what it takes to win

Guest mr. reality

Don't you think that if Chelios was available for a first round pick (in the mid-20's) and a prospect, he'd be here? Talk about knowing hockey...

I mean really, Bill Guerin leaving a Stanley Cup contender to go to another contender for a pick and a prospect...I wish you were the GM of 29 other teams in the NHL.

I have only played NHL2004 on my ps2 but you can create players on it so I am not worried about that.

We were close it 1999 just think if we traded our 2000 #1 pick and a prospect for a player like Guerin or chelios or Fluery

or in 1998 we traded for players we would have won the cup....Hull didnt get drafted on Dallas.  So if we have a chance to win then do what it takes to win

I know it's easy to reflect on history. And for some reason all the results are always positive. But you never know what would have happened. Maybe the Sabres should have traded for another big name player. Maybe that player would have been hurt in his first game. Or maybe he was on the ice instead of Dixon Ward or Stu Barnes and an important goal doesn't get scored and the Sabres don't make it to game six.

The Sabres have a great product now. Instead of bitching and moaning about years gone by and what the Sabres don't have? Concentrate on what they do have. This team has a bright future that goes well beyond the results of this season. ;)

Then let's just agree to disagree. Maybe a few years ago I would feel how you feel but with the NHL starting to look like the NBA and the NFL the time for winning is now and rebuilding is in the past. With the free agency market getting younger and younger players(as well as losing our players to free agency) The time to win is always now.

Then let's just agree to disagree.  Maybe a few years ago I would feel how you feel but with the NHL starting to look like the NBA and the NFL the time for winning is now and rebuilding is in the past.  With the free agency market getting younger and younger players(as well as losing our players to free agency) The time to win is always now.

The teams that win are those with the strongest franchises.

Win Now = Win Never

Archived