Ryan Miller

eball

Obviously Ryan isn't going to ever say this -- and we know how much the entire organization enjoyed Marty's presence on the bench -- but watching Miller play last night, I couldn't help but get the feeling that he now "knows" he's the man. I thought it was his best (and most confident) game in quite some time.

I think he already knew this. On a personal note, i felt bad for miller... after every period, he'd skate directly to marty and they'd begin to talk. seeing him give a nod to conklin made it sink in that marty's gone. Miller is the #1 goaltender, but marty is the #1 guy, and its gotta be tough on that lockerroom. They'll get their shot at marty at the end of the season though.

as for miller's play... I don't know if it was marty's departure, the week and a half off without preparing for a start, or what it was, but ryan was on fire last night. Sooner or later, he'll have to steal a game for the sabres with all their injuries... He didn't steal that game last night, but he made a bunch of key saves in the beginning when the leafs had some life.

I think what Regier said was right on. Marty was there last year, since Ryan was a rookie. Ryan more than proved himself in last year's playoffs. He's been solid this year. Of course had a few tough games here and there. Now, finally all of the, "give Marty a few starts." "We need Marty." yadda, yadda. Ends. No one will be calling for Conklin from the bench. If they are, we don't deserve to win.

So, to answer your question, yes, a weight is off Miller's shoulders. Full confidence has been put in him to lead this team to the Stanley Cup.

whether it was because a weight was lifted, a role confirmed, or just a cause for redoubled focus, i agree that miller seemed to be playing with more purpose last night.

I think he was trying TOO hard, which was why he was out of position a lot early in the game. He was a lot better positionally once the Sabres had the lead.

He did play a stellar game, though. I can certainly agree with that!

Did anyone else notice during the intermission interview with Darcy that he came right out and said that he didn't want to have to trade Marty. We all know GMs usually aren't going to admit that they want to trade a certain player, but you could tell Darcy was upset that he had to deal Marty away. It was probably his toughest job to date. Although, I'm sure a Stanley Cup would take some of the sting away. It's Miller Time!!!! :beer:

He got a little choked up last year when they traded Noronen, too. I guess it's pretty easy to get attached to your players.

I love that about Darcy. I know it's business, but nothing says you can't treat guys with respect and feel a personal attachment to them. I'm sure it's a nice feeling in the locker room to know that the big bosses really do care about you and you're not just an "employee". What a class act. :)

Archived