Ryan Smyth Post Mortem (Speculation)

That Aud Smell

What I'd heard is that one of the sticking points for the Buffalo proposal was that we weren't willing to part with Stafford.

(I also suspect Smyth's cap figure might've been an issue for us?)

I might be spewing complete and utter rubbish here -- but something about the Satfford issue sounds right to me.

What I'd heard is that one of the sticking points for the Buffalo proposal was that we weren't willing to part with Stafford.

I might be spewing complete and utter rubbish here -- but something about the Satfford issue sounds right to me.

Stafford could literally turn into our Ryan Smyth. I have no problem with Darcy deeming him untouchable.

I don't know where you heard that from but it sounds 100% false to me. Ryan is making 3.5 million, Zubrus is making 1.8. We would have done a lot more than give up Stafford to get Smyth.

Stafford could literally turn into our Ryan Smyth. I have no problem with Darcy deeming him untouchable.

I can't say I disagree with that thinking, though DS has a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to go before he's RS. The only way I'd have agreed to a deal for RS is if he signed a multi-year deal. The price was just too high otherwise.

Let me be the first to say "THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL HE STAYS ON LONG ISLAND." Way to go, Garth. :lol:

Stafford MIGHT turn out to be an excellent player...MIGHT...

Ryan Smyth IS already a top notch player who could have very well given the Sabres the missing ingredient to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo???

How many chances has this franchise had of REALLY winning the cup??

But let's hang onto Stafford as Brier and Drury leave and we are back to being an 8 seed with no Cup.

Brilliant!!! :censored:

Obviously there would have been some salary going back to Edmonton, so it's not that far-fetched ... but if they wanted Stafford, Darcy did the right thing. He may never be Ryan Smyth, but he is too much to pay for a rental. No way was Smyth staying in Buffalo beyond this year. I saw enough of Novotny to say I am OK with losing him for Zubrus. I like what I have seen from Stafford much more.

Ryan Smyth IS already a top notch player who could have very well given the Sabres the missing ingredient to bring a Stanley Cup to Buffalo???

But let's hang onto Stafford as Brier and Drury leave and we are back to being an 8 seed with no Cup.

Does Smyth gurantee a Cup? Can you really say that about ANYONE?

Not to mention if Briere and Drury leave, you have to assume Smyth is leaving too, so we would have NONE of them AND Stafford is gone too ... That's just too high a price to pay. It's easy for you to say, you don't have to keep the team winning for future years, you are thinking only this year. And even if they did win the Cup, if they miss the playoffs the next two years as a result, will that Cup pay the bills when short-sighted fans like yourself stop buying tickets?

WE couldn't really go after Smyth, unless he signed on longterm, which would of course frosted Drury and Briere's cornflakes.

It would have been nice to get him but I'm glad we didn't give up some of our future stars for a possible rental.

Can you imagine losing CD, DB and RS all at once, not including a Stafford and picks??? No thanks.

I'll take a chance to win a cup every year over a slighty better chance to win a cup in a given year.

It makes perfect sense that K. Lowe wanted Stafford and wouldn't accept less. He needed to bring back a kid with an Edmonton connection. If the rumors were accurate that at the draft table, he offered Regier a 2nd rounder to move up ONE SPOT, to draft Stafford. Regier said no.

As much as Ryan Smyth would have looked on Drury's LW, giving up Stafford is too much, for my taste.

Ta,

Archived