Two (or possibly three) things I learned...

Wraith

I learned a few good things from last nights game that has me extremely excited for the rest of this year and the seasons to come:

A) The Sabres are even more talent-loaded and deep than we imagined when this season started. Has any one stopped to consider that we're down seven (SEVEN!) forwards and are averaging over 5 goals a game over the last three games? Coming into this season the media raved about the Sabres offensive depth but I don't think anyone thought they could dig this deep into the farm system and still be a powerhouse offensively. I mean, seriously...

B) The Senators should be VERY concerned, because after last night it is very apparent that the Senators either:

- Cannot match the Sabres intensity level. Even in the most important (to them) and most emotionally charged game (to both teams) of the year they rely on blustery theatrics and false bravado and come up small where intensity actually matters (on the ice, while hockey is actually being played).

OR

- Even when they CAN match the intensity level of the Sabres, they are not talented enough to do anything other than BARELY scrap by the Sabres Junior Varsity squad.

It's at least one or the other, or more likely both. How else can they explain the fact that they needed a fluky bounce to squeak by a Sabres team with 8 players on the injury list and playing 5 rookies? This after the fact that they let the game just prior, which was equally important and just slightly less emotionally charged, go to the Sabres JV.

Either way, if I were a Senators fan and capable of rational thought, I'd be very worried.

I learned a few good things from last nights game that has me extremely excited for the rest of this year and the seasons to come:

A) The Sabres are even more talent-loaded and deep than we imagined when this season started. Has any one stopped to consider that we're down seven (SEVEN!) forwards and are averaging over 5 goals a game over the last three games? Coming into this season the media raved about the Sabres offensive depth but I don't think anyone thought they could dig this deep into the farm system and still be a powerhouse offensively. I mean, seriously...

B) The Senators should be VERY concerned, because after last night it is very apparent that the Senators either:

- Cannot match the Sabres intensity level. Even in the most important (to them) and most emotionally charged game (to both teams) of the year they rely on blustery theatrics and false bravado and come up small where intensity actually matters (on the ice, while hockey is actually being played).

OR

- Even when they CAN match the intensity level of the Sabres, they are not talented enough to do anything other than BARELY scrap by the Sabres Junior Varsity squad.

It's at least one or the other, or more likely both. How else can they explain the fact that they needed a fluky bounce to squeak by a Sabres team with 8 players on the injury list and playing 5 rookies? This after the fact that they let the game just prior, which was equally important and just slightly less emotionally charged, go to the Sabres JV.

Either way, if I were a Senators fan and capable of rational thought, I'd be very worried.

I agree with what your saying. I think that it is possible that the guys getting their real taste of the NHL coming from Rochester just wanted it more than the Sens. I think that these injuries will be a blessing in disguise. If we are able to hang on to number 1 in the east, just think, we will be in the best shape seeding wise and the most rested team in the league heading into the playoffs! Kotalik gets 4-6 weeks off, Max 6-7 off, Novotny gets probably a month, Spacek gets a couple months, Timmy, well Timmy's had a whole year :D , unfortunately Gaustads done, but we may be able to bring someone in via trade who's similar.

We will have 5 or 6 guys fully recharged who are extremely talented and they will be dying to get back into the games, and the fact that it's the playoffs is gonna make that desire even stronger.

Everybody knows that the Cup was ours last year if not for the freak injuries at the wrong time. Going into the playoffs, we will be the most rested, recharged, offensively deep team in the league. Now us and everyone else in the hockey world knows that if a couple guys get hurt, we have the best young guys in the league to fill in. The best part is that the young guns will have had a great amount of NHL experience at that time.

When every other team is worn down mentally and physically, our Sabres will take off like they did to start the season and blitz every team in their path.

OR

Senators in five...

I think what the last two games showed is that these teams play exciting hockey no matter who is on the ice. I think we would be in for the exact same series we had last year. I'm not sure who would win. The last game played between these two was decided by a bad bounce. My take is that is exactly how the series would go. Ottawa has a lot of talent. I would prefer someone else play them and take them out. I personally hope that is the last game between Buffalo and Ottawa this year. I don't think we could take the emotion of a seven game series if played like those last two games.

Sure, the Sabres will be well rested, but what worries me is that Max, Kotalik, and possibly Spacek may be too rested. What I'm trying to say is they may be rusty, if they don't return until the playoffs start. I would love it if they could play 3 games, prior to the playoffs. Max and company have to get their team chemistry back.

It's a defense mechanism.

It's too bad really, because this season has been incredibly enjoyable on it's own merits and he's missing it.

Or he's actually been watching the games and can't see how an injury depleted team filled with inexperienced rookies will win a playoff series, let alone a cup unless they were in a Disney movie.

Right now, I'm with him, I can't see the Sabres going deep with the way the team is right now.

Or he's actually been watching the games and can't see how an injury depleted team filled with inexperienced rookies will win a playoff series, let alone a cup unless they were in a Disney movie.

Right now, I'm with him, I can't see the Sabres going deep with the way the team is right now.

Considering all that this team has accomplished over the last two seasons and the obstacles they've overcome, you would think that Sabres fans would be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, regardless of the situation.

From the time that Zhitnik and Satan left this team, there have been naysayers chiming in at every step of the way. For the most part this team has proved them wrong.

I decided early last season to side with the team instead of siding with the naysayers.

Fortunately the playoffs don't start "right now". When the playoffs do start the Sabres should be almost 100% healthy. You can probably add TC to the list as well. Anything less than a Stanley Cup appearance would be considered a failure in my book, even with this rash of injuries.

Well, the team isn't going to "stay" the way it is right now. They'll get players back. And the rooks will get better each and every game, and they took on one of the hottest lines in the league.

As long as Miller holds up, they'll be fine.

Do you honestly mean what you just wrote? How quickly you forget last years team filled with inexperienced rookies that made it all the way to Game 7 of the ECF while becoming injury riddled DURING the playoffs. This years team is much more experienced, even with four to five rookies in the lineup. In addition, most of the injured will be back long before the playoffs.

Do you honestly mean what you just wrote? How quickly you forget last years team filled with inexperienced rookies that made it all the way to Game 7 of the ECF while becoming injury riddled DURING the playoffs. This years team is much more experienced, even with four to five rookies in the lineup. In addition, most of the injured will be back long before the playoffs.

Yeah, I meant exactly what I wrote.

Last year they didn't make it anywhere with a bunch of rookies in the lineup after their defencemen went down. Last time I checked they lost that series and didn't make the cup finals. They lost Connolly and Tallinder in the Sens Series, mcKee, and I believe Teppo went down in the Carolina Series. Its not like they opened the playoffs with half a team of rookies. They got where they did because of their starters, not because of a bunch of rookies.

Sure, most of the injured will be healthy enough to suit up by the playoffs, but are they going to be ready to play? Connolly, the great white hope (since everyone seems to be banking on him to come back and play exactly like he did in last years playoffs) will have had almost a year off since he has been able to even practice with the team. Max will have been out for over a month. Spacek will have been out around a month. Novotny will be back but probably not at 100% since he seems to keep hurting the same foot. Theres no realistic time frame yet on Drury.

Sorry if I find it hard to be so optimistic that without making any moves, this team will come back and be better then every, especially since they were struggling before and were not looking like they were a favorite anymore to win the cup.

Or maybe I'm just jerking Wraith's chain, an idiot who in another thread accused me of rooting against the Sabres.

Honestly, though, I think the Sabres and Sens would be a close series that would probably come down to goaltending. Even with what looked like a significant edge in goal last spring, all five games were one-goal games, three in overtime. I wouldn't shrink from the matchup, but I certainly would hope someone else would knock off the Senators before it got that far.

Last year they didn't make it anywhere with a bunch of rookies in the lineup after their defencemen went down. Last time I checked they lost that series and didn't make the cup finals. They lost Connolly and Tallinder in the Sens Series, mcKee, and I believe Teppo went down in the Carolina Series. Its not like they opened the playoffs with half a team of rookies. They got where they did because of their starters, not because of a bunch of rookies.

Sure, most of the injured will be healthy enough to suit up by the playoffs, but are they going to be ready to play? Connolly, the great white hope (since everyone seems to be banking on him to come back and play exactly like he did in last years playoffs) will have had almost a year off since he has been able to even practice with the team. Max will have been out for over a month. Spacek will have been out around a month. Novotny will be back but probably not at 100% since he seems to keep hurting the same foot. Theres no realistic time frame yet on Drury.

Sorry if I find it hard to be so optimistic that without making any moves, this team will come back and be better then every, especially since they were struggling before and were not looking like they were a favorite anymore to win the cup.

The rookies on defense were not the rookies I was speaking of were: Jason Pominville, Thomas Vanek, Paul Gaustad, and Ryan FREAKING Miller! Hell, lets toss Derek Roy in there too since he started the year with the Amerks.

They were struggling before because they were in a slump. At the beginning of the year we saw what this team was capable of when they are healthy. Why do you think everyone is going to rush back? The way the younger players have been stepping up just gives our injured players more time to get healthy. Looking at their timetables, it looks like this team is going to have everyone (except Gaustad) back for Round 1, Game 1.

Also, I think most of us are getting really tired of the "This team isn't going to win anything because of [insert problem of the week].

They were struggling before because they were in a slump. At the beginning of the year we saw what this team was capable of when they are healthy. Why do you think everyone is going to rush back? The way the younger players have been stepping up just gives our injured players more time to get healthy. Looking at their timetables, it looks like this team is going to have everyone (except Gaustad) back for Round 1, Game 1.

Also, I think most of us are getting really tired of the "This team isn't going to win anything because of [insert problem of the week].

Thats fine, thats what you believe. Maybe the people that don't believe they are true cup contenders are sick of hearing "We are going to win it all because ........" or "Don't worry, we'll have Connolly back by the playoffs (or insert another injured player who will come back and play better then ever)" or "The team is in first place overall, the cup is ours"

Sure the players will be back by game 1 round 1, but are they going to be 100% ready, or just physically back on the ice?

Like I said, this team had problems before, these injuries have just caused more holes, and more problems

Or maybe I'm just jerking Wraith's chain, an idiot who in another thread accused me of rooting against the Sabres.

Honestly, though, I think the Sabres and Sens would be a close series that would probably come down to goaltending. Even with what looked like a significant edge in goal last spring, all five games were one-goal games, three in overtime. I wouldn't shrink from the matchup, but I certainly would hope someone else would knock off the Senators before it got that far.

He's a little upset because I wrote this about him in another thread after another poster was upset with himself because he had to agree with PA and PA wanted to know why:

"It's because you try to pass yourself off as the only reasonable one here when in reality you are simply being contrary. It's incredibly patronizing. Your entire mode of operation is to see which way the wind is blowing and face into it, with a smug little 'just being the voice of reason' tacked on the end. The act gets tired, quickly, especially when in the process of "being reasonable" you appear to start rooting against the players and team this board worships."

You'll notice I DID NOT accuse him of rooting against the Sabres. I said your smugness comes across that way (note the word APPEAR). The word appear was chosen carefully because I have no idea what you are like away from your keyboard.

That being said, I don't think replying to my topic about positives from the last two games and which does not speak at all about a potential playoff match-up between the two with "Sens in five" comes across as wanting the Sabres to win and could certainly be read as if he wanted that outcome. All I know from the boards is that you are extremely negative and can't stand admitting when you're wrong. Those two traits certainly make it seem like you would rather the Sabres lose to prove your point.

Thats fine, thats what you believe. Maybe the people that don't believe they are true cup contenders are sick of hearing "We are going to win it all because ........" or "Don't worry, we'll have Connolly back by the playoffs (or insert another injured player who will come back and play better then ever)" or "The team is in first place overall, the cup is ours"

Sure the players will be back by game 1 round 1, but are they going to be 100% ready, or just physically back on the ice?

Like I said, this team had problems before, these injuries have just caused more holes, and more problems

Has any one actually said "I'm not worried because the injured players will come back better than ever" right out of the gate? My point, the entire point of this topic, was that the injured players could come back at 75% or less and the Sabres would still demolish most teams on intensity level alone. It's certainly a question of whether the Sabres can muster that intensity, but I think history (both recent and longer term) says they will and other teams will have trouble matching it.

Who's saying Connolly's the saviour of this team? This team has lead the league in scoring without Connolly all season, now all of a sudden they need him to win in the playoffs?

Connolly will help this team because he's giving them a fourth line threat and an extra playmaker on the power play. But nobody has been able to match up successfully with the Sabres top three lines (five 20+ goal scorers) this season. Make no mistake, this team can win the Cup without Connolly. Bring him back turns the Sabres from a matchup nightmare into a matchup catastrophe for the opposing team.

Anyway, they lead the league in points, they have the fewest losses in the league, they lead the league in goals scored, they lead the league in even-strength goals, they've come back from 2 goals down to win 7 games (most in the league), they have three elite scoring lines, they have one of the best coaches in the league, they have a playoff-tested goaltender, they have four defensemen who are +10 or better.

So if you can take all that in and say that they still aren't a legimate Cup contender, I have to wonder what the hell you're basing your opinion on.

Ya, the Senators scare me more than any other team. I like our chances better than I did last year against them, but when the Sens top line starts clicking - look out. With Havlat and Chara gone they are much, much weaker - but still offensively gifted - if only on one line. The Senators seem to lack any serious chemistry, and the Sabres are flush with it. This kind of thing matters in the playoffs, and I think the Sabres may have the edge.

The Sabres need to get the puck into the slot (or high slot) to beat Ottawa. Both of Ottawa's goalies suck when they have to go post to post. They over-commit to the shooter in a huge way. When Buffalo loses, its usually because they seem intimidated by Ottawa's attack and lack the confidence to attack themselves. We need Max back to do his patented cut to the middle - Briere can do it too, but not as well IMHO. I understand getting to the slot is stating the obvious, but I think sometimes that the Sabres have, in the past, been intimidated by Ottawa's offence and focus too much on their defensive game. In the last few games the Sabres have turned that around - let's hope they stick to it.

I see Ottawa as the only team between the Sabres and the final series. Since we hardly play the West, its hard to say what would happen in the finals.

Archived