Is Jeanneret OK?

PASabreFan

Has anyone else picked up on this? The last little while, Jeanneret has sounded kind of tired. There doesn't seem to be much strength in his voice, especially on goal calls. I've noticed some uncharacteristic mistakes, and he seems to be "behind the play" a lot more than ever. This after I noticed earlier in the season that he was almost back to his prime, the new NHL having apparently reinvigorated him. He was on "Hockey Night in Buffalo" last night on Channel 7 and looked really tired. He wasn't his usual chipper, joking (although a dry sense of humor) self. When asked if the players would mind the long Olympic break at a time when the team has a lot of momentum, Jeanneret said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Well, this announcer certainly is looking forward to it." Let's hope it's just the flu or something, or just an older guy needing some time off. Nothing serious. Or maybe there's nothing wrong at all, and I'm super-sensitive. God bless you, Rick Jeanneret. You, sir, are the Buffalo Sabres!

I'd say Labatt is closer... mid 60s sounds about right. He was pretty young when he started doing Sabres games, maybe in his late 20s. He started his hockey broadcasting career in 1963, so do the math. In my mind, though, he hasn't aged a day since the first time I heard him.

A few seasons ago he started to sound like his voice couldn't keep up anymore. I think the lockout season helped rejuvenate RJ but for how long.

He's too good to replace. I can't image watching games without him. My guess is when he steps down, Pete Weber will replace him. Pete is with Nashville right now.

Has anyone else picked up on this? The last little while, Jeanneret has sounded kind of tired. There doesn't seem to be much strength in his voice, especially on goal calls. I've noticed some uncharacteristic mistakes, and he seems to be "behind the play" a lot more than ever. This after I noticed earlier in the season that he was almost back to his prime, the new NHL having apparently reinvigorated him. He was on "Hockey Night in Buffalo" last night on Channel 7 and looked really tired. He wasn't his usual chipper, joking (although a dry sense of humor) self. When asked if the players would mind the long Olympic break at a time when the team has a lot of momentum, Jeanneret said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Well, this announcer certainly is looking forward to it." Let's hope it's just the flu or something, or just an older guy needing some time off. Nothing serious. Or maybe there's nothing wrong at all, and I'm super-sensitive. God bless you, Rick Jeanneret. You, sir, are the Buffalo Sabres!

Honestly, I have not noticed anything you speak about...matter of fact, I was listening to an XM radio show the other day that replays highlights from the week and the two neutral show-hosts were playing his game calls and they could not get over his passion and how he is the best play-by-play host in the league.

Hey - I wrote into the Buffalo News Sports Letter Section about two weeks ago, and wrote about how great Rick rick is, in response to a guy who said that rick "needs to be given a golden watch and shown the door". Did anybody see it? Check it out on http://www.buffalonews.com and see if its still there. If not, i'll pos the email

If I understand what you're talking about (and I believe I do) I think Jeanneret was confused on who ended up with the puck on the final EN goal vs. Philadelphia last week. He sounded pretty confused, but watching the replay on TV it was understandable why he couldn't exactly tell who came out with the puck at first.

I know that throughout the season, in interview segments and downtime, both RJ and Lorentz often comment on how difficult it is on certain nights to tell players apart, due to the distance from the ice in most modern press boxes. Apparently, in old places, like the Aud, Forum and Boston Garden, the press box was situated lower...of course it makes sense, as those were the days before suites and boxes took up space. I think that nights when the Sabres wear their black jerseys, it's simply tougher for RJ to make quick ID's of players. Of course this is mostly hypathetical, and RJ still ID's most players quicker than most any other radio announcer in the league.

I agree with the Pete Weber comment that was posted earlier...I think that when Jeanneret finally hangs up the mic, Weber will come back to town. Or maybe we'll all get lucky and we can bribe John Gurtler to come back...

Of course I'm kidding.

Man, can you imagine Gurtler on radio play-by-play? Ughhh

If I understand what you're talking about (and I believe I do) I think Jeanneret was confused on who ended up with the puck on the final EN goal vs. Philadelphia last week. He sounded pretty confused, but watching the replay on TV it was understandable why he couldn't exactly tell who came out with the puck at first.

I know that throughout the season, in interview segments and downtime, both RJ and Lorentz often comment on how difficult it is on certain nights to tell players apart, due to the distance from the ice in most modern press boxes. Apparently, in old places, like the Aud, Forum and Boston Garden, the press box was situated lower...of course it makes sense, as those were the days before suites and boxes took up space. I think that nights when the Sabres wear their black jerseys, it's simply tougher for RJ to make quick ID's of players. Of course this is mostly hypathetical, and RJ still ID's most players quicker than most any other radio announcer in the league.

I agree with the Pete Weber comment that was posted earlier...I think that when Jeanneret finally hangs up the mic, Weber will come back to town. Or maybe we'll all get lucky and we can bribe John Gurtler to come back...

Of course I'm kidding.

Man, can you imagine Gurtler on radio play-by-play? Ughhh

That's not funny.

Gurtler is the anti-Christ.

I regret that I started an RJ Death Watch thread. :) Seriously, I do. I also regret implying that he has "lost it." I know that's basically what I wrote, but I didn't really mean to write anything that dramatic. Just that in recent games he seemed to be off his game, and I thought he might be under the weather.

Nothing against Pete Weber -- nice guy; he replied to a letter I wrote him once, and I think PTS can attest to the fact he emailed him when PTS had a Sabres site with some of Weber's Sabres calls on it -- but I hope when the time comes, 20 years down the road :), that the Sabres go back to their roots and hire a young and quirky announcer to follow in Jeanneret's footsteps.

Interesting point. A young play-by-play caller or color commentator might not have the longevity that Rick and Jim have simply because of the way broadcasting is now (changing markets, networks, contracts, etc). Rick and Jim have been able to stay based on their insane popularity and their overwhelming experience/seniority. A new guy wouldn't have these things to get him set.

They should find a quirky guy now, plug him in as a part-time third wheel in the broadcast booth, and Rick and Jim can train him to be excellent. When Rick or Jim retires, he can step up and probably, but not necessarily, be very good at the job and stay a long time.

We need a farm system of young broadcasters.

Archived