Murray brought a knife to a gun fight

Barnabov

Just saw Sports Center wrap up of the game and glad to see that some reporter was smart enough to ask Murray if he made a mistake putting his skill guys on the ice after the Drury hit.

So after a minute of blathering about how it was a clean hit, yada yada, he says he didn't expect to happen what happened and so yeah he probably made a mistake.

I bet the Canadian press will rip him good over this - the Senators have "toughness" issues already and this should be another big confidence destroyer heading towards the playoffs.

Even Melrose ripped Ottawa saying their players on the ice were all "cowards" for letting Emery fight against Peters.

I thought "heater" used to throw down - maybe he should call HECHT/STAFFORD/CAMPBELL and ask why it is necessary for a skill player to sometimes drop the gloves.

My only problem with the night was later on when spezza decided to act tough and slash one of our players from behind. I would have loved for whoever that was to wheel around and jump the big pussycat - pummelling him into the ice would have cured spezza of his bout of courage permanently.

I can't wait for Coach's Corner tmorrow night. I'm sure grapes will have a lot to say.

Unfortunately they are going to be broadcasting the Stanley cup preview game of the Laughs vs. Cryers instead of a game that has playoff contentions and promises to be a great game. I hate living in the Leafs region :(

Even Melrose ripped Ottawa saying their players on the ice were all "cowards" for letting Emery fight against Peters.

I don't completly blame them for not stepping in, they would just be a rag doll/punching bag for Peters while Emery was the only one on the ice that had a chance against him. Emery is a tough SOB and I actually gained some respect for him after last nights game.

I don't completly blame them for not stepping in, they would just be a rag doll/punching bag for Peters while Emery was the only one on the ice that had a chance against him. Emery is a tough SOB and I actually gained some respect for him after last nights game.

Ditto.

Unfortunately they are going to be broadcasting the Stanley cup preview game of the Laughs vs. Cryers instead of a game that has playoff contentions and promises to be a great game. I hate living in the Leafs region :(

I'm assuming center ice will be airing a CBC feed for me. Anyway, even if you get the Leafs game, that won't stop you from catching Coach's Corner. You don't even have to watch those two fine teams up in Toronto. B-)

Emery is a tough SOB and I actually gained some respect for him after last nights game.

The info below from answers.com indicates Emery knows how to throw and is, in fact, a tough SOB. One of his nicknames is "Sugar Ray Emery". He goes 6'2" and just over 200lbs. Credit our boy Marty for having the balls to take him on!

"Emery has a reputation as somewhat of a fighter. In 2000-2001 with the Greyhounds, Emery was involved in 4 on-ice fights. In his first season with Binghamton, Emery was suspended twice. He also had a rather ugly altercation with Denis Hamel of the Rochester Americans. Emery went after his future teammate after some racial slurs were said during a game.

Emery's fighting ways continued in 2003-2004. He was also suspended for 5 games for a stick swinging attack on Michel Ouellet of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.

On January 30, 2006, Emery was the target of many critics as a result of a design which was painted on a goalie mask. Emery, who is an avid boxing fan wore a mask with a picture of Mike Tyson painted on it. The controversy came into question as a result of Tyson's reputation and past rape convictions. After speaking to Senators management, Emery decided not to wear the mask as both he and management felt it was inappropriate for hockey. During the 2006 NHL playoffs Emery wore a new mask featuring the legendary Canadian heavyweight boxer George Chuvalo."

I almost agree with you and then I remember that Stafford took on Neil with no hesitation, even though he was facing the same outcome.

Emery could be Ric Flair, but he's still wearing bulky goalie equipment and facing a bigger man. It would have been much easier for a skater to tie up Peters than it was for Emery to do so.

If Emery falls into the boards the wrong way, or even busts his knuckles on Peters thick skull, Ottawa loses thier #1 goalie. All while Spezza and Heatley are standing around.

I don't care if the goalie is your locker-boxing champion, you don't let him fight a goon; the risk of a freak injury is too great.

Archived