The brawl that led to a Stanley Cup

Doohickie

Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, a good team fighting for the Stanley Cup after a long drought had been beaten all year by a team that was fast becoming their arch-rival. A savage hit leading to a bloody facial injury started a massive brawl. The hit was avenged by the guy who later scored the winning goal in a 6-5 victory after the game went to overtime. Everyone brawled, even the goalies. The coaches almost got into it.

I'm not talking about tonight's game; I'm talking about The Red Wings-Avalanche Brawl in Hockeytown on March 26, 1997. The Wings were owned by the Avs up until then. But when Darren McCarty took on Claude Lemiuex to avenge a cheap shot by Lemiuex on Kris Draper, leading to a huge fight that included goalies Patrick Roy and Mike Vernon, the Wings eventually prevailed and McCarty scored the OT winner.

The teams faced off again in the playoffs, and Detroit ended up with the Stanley Cup that year.

Tonight's game feels so much like history repeating itself, it's kind of scary.

Tonight's game felt so much like a play-off game right after we took the 3 - 2 lead...and then to cap it off everything else happened, by the end of the game my voice was a hint hoarse... That is a sign of a great game... the best part was.. i wasnt at the game! I was in my car listenin to the radio and then watchin the game on TV, but even my emotions were running high... But i definetly know what your talking about.. this game just seemed to possibly mean "something more" , "more to come" , or "this may just be the beginning..." could it be the beginning of a ride to never be forgotten by Buffalo fans? (fingers crossed!) by the way: Doohickie..... Great Post!!!!!!!

Great post. Don't know if there are any baseball fans here, but it also reminds me of a couple of years ago when the Varitek of the Red Sox went after A-Rod on New York and that game propeled them to winning the world series. Man I love this team, I just wish I got more games out here in Colorado. :angry:

Go Sabres!

Well done Doohickie. I wrote a post yesterday about the best YouTube Sabres video ever. Well, your post might have been the best ever on this board. Seriously. Congratulations. Once in a while, I find myself saying, "I wish I had written that." I wish I had written that!

I told the wife last night, if they win this game it could go a very long way to them winning the Cup if they get their players back from injury.

They are fully united. No doubt.

And Marty has to stay. You can't trade this guy. He's a Sabre!

Archived