A not-so-random random thought ...

BetweenThePipes00

OK, just a thought I am going to drop here real quick ...

I was reading the new edition of ESPN the Magazine and there is a story about Mike Keane playing in the AHL for the second straight year hoping to maybe get a shot in the NHL down the stretch.

Now I know there are some who will say they hate him immediately because he was on the Stars in 1999, but he would not be a bad pickup at the pro-rated rate of the veteran minimum (around $200,000) ... he's playing for less than 100K now, he'd play for free for the shot at the Cup. All he does is win, having won Cups with three different teams. He does all the little things, leads by example, can kill penalties and would give Lindy plenty of flexibility in the playoffs. If a defenseman goes down or just needs a night off because he is sucking (see Kalinin, Dmitri, Thursday night in Boston), Keane can take Paetsch's spot on the 4th line and Paetsch can play D. That kind of veteran is a better option than a rookie like Novotny or Peters (obviously). He has surely lost a step, but for two or three shifts a period he would play like his hair was on fire (if he had any) and he can certainly be trusted to make the smart play in his own end.

But what really made me think of it was a quote from his coach in the AHL ... "There's a lot of Mike that still believes he can still play in the NHL. And I'm not so sure he can't." The coach? Scott Arniel. Hmmmmmm ... is he close with any NHL coaches? :doh:

Anyway, just wanted to drop some pure speculation before heading back into my work cave ... I should emerge after Wednesday with much more time to be my normal, argumentative self ;)

F Mike Keane, I've always hated him not because he was on Dallas but because one of the years they beat Edmonton, after the last game (which happened to be in Edmonton) he went up to the glass and said to the fans something like "Yeah, bye-bye. You can go home now again you f*cking scumbags." I watched that game on CBC and because the building had fallen so silent, you could hear what the players were saying as they celebrated. Anyways, I always thought he was a piece of trash after that.

Oh yea, and he played on Dallas ;)

Reading ESPN the Magazine because it comes free with the ESPN.com Insider account, which does have some value ...

As for Keane and his remarks toward the Edmonton faithful ... if he pulled that in the Air Canada Center, we'd build a statue for the guy. Lots of things are said in the heat of battle, and over a playoff series I'm sure the Oilers fans dished out their share ...

Reading ESPN the Magazine because it comes free with the ESPN.com Insider account, which does have some value ...

I had a subscription to The Mag and didn't renew it...I thought the magazine was a waste of my time and didn't see much value in it. Although I do still wear the free ESPN the Mag fleece pullover. ;)

That, plus the fact that ESPN had the brilliant idea of making nearly every non-wire story available to Insiders only, which is why I don't spend as much time at ESPN.com as I used to...

I don't know ... I don't read the whole Mag for sure, but there is usually one surprisingly good story that tells me something I did not know. Admittedly most of it is not great and the design is annoying, but it's not all bad.

As for the Insider thing, maybe too much of that site is premium content now, I just find it very well worth it.

Because I like other sports, too. And I remember when I was teenager I did subscribe to the Sportiing News and I found that by the time I got it in the mail it was all old news.

Again, I'm not paying for the Mag, I get it free. I am paying for the Insider stuff on ESPN that is good and I can get it every day. But I understand it's not for everyone.

I am paying for the Insider stuff on ESPN that is good and I can get it every day. But I understand it's not for everyone.

Just wondering whether it's worth the cash--last I looked, it was $9.95/mo. or something--in your opinion, for a mainly hockey/college f-ball/college b-ball guy, worth it or no?

Archived