If Sabres are shopping anybody...

PromoTheRobot

The other thing i completley due to the fact if i did say who was offered I would be ridiculed as someone who noone would believe because there is no way to prove it..

Ok, instead I'll ridicule you for shooting down one person's "what if" and countering it with a "what if of your own". That's my whole problem with this conversation.

Ok, instead I'll ridicule you for shooting down one person's "what if" and countering it with a "what if of your own". That's my whole problem with this conversation.

Well here is my whatif..If we keep Biron and do not trade for a def we will noit win the cup..If we trade Biron for a def we win the cup. If we keep Biron trade someone else kotalik or a younger roch player for a def we win the cup but lose some future..I dont care either way as long as we win the cup this yr. If we are going to lose biron anyways next yr i would rather them treade biron for the player we need than deal our youth for it..Regardless i dont care as long as we win the cup..To me it makes more sense to deal an assett we may or may not use and when history supports i have a probblem not doing it....Just my own lil opinion on nothing..lol

The other thing i completley due to the fact if i did say who was offered I would be ridiculed as someone who noone would believe because there is no way to prove it..

My point with the list is that at no time in the past 15 yrs has a team won the Stanley Cup with their backup...Case closed..You need no other proof..If your goalie goes down youre done....end of discussion..Martin Biron does not take this team to the cup....Get somebody who can help you as a regular not a parttimer..Its a nobrainer

Actually, you're proving Shrader's point. Carolina did win with their backup, and their starting goalie only played in one game during the playoffs. It was precisely because they had depth at goal that they won the Stanley Cup. If they had traded their backup goalie (Cam Ward) in March for another defensman, they might not have won (given Ward's especially strong performances, I don't think they would have).

Actually, you're proving Shrader's point. Carolina did win with their backup, and their starting goalie only played in one game during the playoffs. It was precisely because they had depth at goal that they won the Stanley Cup. If they had traded their backup goalie (Cam Ward) in March for another defensman, they might not have won (given Ward's especially strong performances, I don't think they would have).

I'm not defending stenbar, but the situations aren't that similar. Ward was a 22-year-old rookie hotshot on his way up, not a 29-year-old soon-to-be-free agent with nearly 8 years with his team, like Marty. Ward was going to eventually push Gerber out, just as Miller has done/is doing to Marty (and Mika, too) but I don't think trading Ward was something anyone in Carolina was considering. Plus, the Hurricanes made a calculated gamble that the rookie could handle the Stanley Cup pressure, which worked out well for them. Still it wasn't an injury-prompted move, which seems to be the theme of this thread. I think we all agree that if it gets to the point that Ryan has to be benched (not for injury) in the playoffs, we're in more trouble than we'd like.

Earlier I posed the question - has a backup ever taken a team to the promised land? Some quick research seems to indicate it has happened only once since expansion - Bill Ranford winning the Cup for Edmonton in 1990 while Fuhr was sidelined (was that an actual injury or was it his cocaine problem?) Did I miss anyone else?

Everyone has trades with someone from our roster. If the Sabres think that by picking up a couple studs by the trade deadline would really improve their chances on winning the cup. They might give up some of their top prospects in a trade. They know they may not be in this position again for awhile. And were not going keep this high of a payroll past next year.

Earlier I posed the question - has a backup ever taken a team to the promised land? Some quick research seems to indicate it has happened only once since expansion - Bill Ranford winning the Cup for Edmonton in 1990 while Fuhr was sidelined (was that an actual injury or was it his cocaine problem?) Did I miss anyone else?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

I love Biron as a team guy but seems Ruff has Miller starting. Biron really impressed lately, Miller seems to let 3-4 go every game. I don't think Biron started ONE game in the playoffs last year. Based on this and that TC will not be the same guy even if he comes back, we need more O-fense, to overcome Millers soft 3-4 every night. I think we let TC sit this year, deal Biron (hate to see that) and have about 4 mil (2 guys) to bring in some contributors and we could run tables. Bring up Denis from Roch to see how he does and we might have an OK backup. But really, one goaly is all that is needed, has been in the past. If the started gets hurt, well, we're screwed. Like last post said " What backup has ever won" anyway.

Maybe we trade Miller and give Marty a shot!!!!!! Miller drives me crazy with great saves and weak goals.........

Archived