Thoughts at the break

Bmwolf21

Just some things I've been thinking about over the last couple weeks, and others I've read or noticed online...

Referees/Gameplay:

* Does Lindy have a legitimate concern with the refs swallowing their whistles, or is this just the latest down-cycle in the NHL's version of "No, we're really going to enforce it this time - we really mean it..." It seems that the refs are getting away from the interference and obstruction-type penalties, but have maintained the illusion of their continued crackdown by relying on the ridiculous "his-stick-was-parallel-to-the-ice-so-it-must-be-hooking" call. I'd also like to see the league start watching these guys who grab the opponents stick and pin it against their body to get the hooking call, and for once, could we see a straight-up diving call without a matching hooking/tripping call?

* Is it time to add a illegal defense penalty, similar to what the NBA has? I say it's worth looking into - we should try to kill the neutral-zone trap by any means necessary.

* Are faceoffs the only time linesmen get to flex their power, so to speak? I get pretty frustrated watching them randomly throw guys out of the faceoff circle for what appears to be nothing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason sometimes...

Randoms thoughts:

* Alexei Zhitnik was a +13 when he was traded to the Flyers. He is now a -1. If you're scoring at home, that means Alexei is a whopping -14 in 16 GP with the Flyers. I know it's a crappy team, but here's another eye-opening stat - the Flyers have no "plus" players at the break - they have six players who are even, but three of them are goalies and the other three have just 10 games between them. A special shout out to Kyle Calder - a -26 in 44 GP. :thumbsup:

* Hey, Gary Bettman - BITE ME. Not to reopen the debate about whether Hull scored a good goal or not to steal the Cup from us in '99 (cheating rat bastards) but to reopen the old wounds at an All-Star game with such a heavy Sabre presence seems downright evil. While you're at it, would you like to come to my place and maybe kick my dog or give me a paper cut, then pour salt in it? Asshat. At least he's consistent. :thumbdown:

* Is Patrick Roy trying to be the worst coach in minor league hockey? Didn't he taunt an opposing player through the media (a 17-year-old goalie, IIRC) and now faces accusations that he "shoved a representative of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens following a game pitting the two teams Friday night in Chicoutimi, north of Quebec City." :blink:

* Kudos to Adam Mair and his wife for their work with the SPCA. Animal cruelty is no joke (despite my ill attempt at humor above) and I am glad to see one of our Sabres working with the SPCA to help curb and prevent animal cruelty. :thumbsup:

* If the Canucks could get Luongo from Florida for a broken-down Bertuzzi, what would it take us to get Bouwmeester out of there? Do we still have the rights to Michael Grosek?

* Something that should make us a little more uneasy with FA looming: Scott Gomez is making $5M, yet has just 9G and 27A at the break. If Gomez, who is on pace for 17G and 50A, is worth $5M (or more?) on the open market, what are Drury & Briere going to command? It makes my head hurt to think of them hitting the open market, as they'll attract more attention than Jessica Biel's bikini-clad body... :worthy:

As a reward for sitting through my ramblings, here are a couple pics of Biel's bikini-clad body... LINK1 and LINK 2...Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Hahah one of the best posts I've seen in a while, especially the grand finale there at the end :thumbsup: Just to go on about what you (and Lindy) said about the refs, I don't think there is any debate that the way the game is being called has changed. The clearest example is if you think back to last season and into the beginning of this season, if a puck was dumped in along the boards and the opposing defender IMPEDED the progress of the attacking forward, it was an interference penalty. I (conservatively) counted 8 times that happened during the Montreal game, and no penalties! And the night before against Vancouver, there was one play where--I believe it was Drury--was actually body checked by the defenseman at the blue line when he didnt have the puck! Something is going on with that for sure, this is a substantial difference.

I'm also in agreement with the faceoffs, it is really getting annoying. Maybe I'll drop the puck, maybe I wont--oh you swung your stick, you're out of the faceoff circle. It reminds me of middle school when you'd be passing a paper back in your row and then taunt the person behind you by pulling it away when they go to grab it. It's the ref's clandestine attempt at a practical joke.

And finally, since we're on the subject of refs, can I just say how angry I am that Kerry Fraser now wears a helmet. It was much easier to spot that tool with his wave of hair blowing around. I guess he finally ran out of hair spray.

Hahah one of the best posts I've seen in a while, especially the grand finale there at the end :thumbsup: Just to go on about what you (and Lindy) said about the refs, I don't think there is any debate that the way the game is being called has changed. The clearest example is if you think back to last season and into the beginning of this season, if a puck was dumped in along the boards and the opposing defender IMPEDED the progress of the attacking forward, it was an interference penalty. I (conservatively) counted 8 times that happened during the Montreal game, and no penalties! And the night before against Vancouver, there was one play where--I believe it was Drury--was actually body checked by the defenseman at the blue line when he didnt have the puck! Something is going on with that for sure, this is a substantial difference.

I'm also in agreement with the faceoffs, it is really getting annoying. Maybe I'll drop the puck, maybe I wont--oh you swung your stick, you're out of the faceoff circle. It reminds me of middle school when you'd be passing a paper back in your row and then taunt the person behind you by pulling it away when they go to grab it. It's the ref's clandestine attempt at a practical joke.

And finally, since we're on the subject of refs, can I just say how angry I am that Kerry Fraser now wears a helmet. It was much easier to spot that tool with his wave of hair blowing around. I guess he finally ran out of hair spray.

Very good thread.

I noticed that hit on Drury as well. I think the interference standard has changed as the year has gone on. I remember a game early where Teppo got called for interference for not moving out of Cole's way.

Here's one for discussion, is the fact that defensemen have more leeway to take someone out on a dump in one of the reasons that our PP is struggling? IMHO the PP's biggest problem is recovering the puck on a dump in and setting up...

As for the comment about Gomez, if I remember correctly, that was not his price on the open market. Wasn't that an arbitrator's award?

maybe bettman didn't want the fleet-footed sabres running away with the league...so they dumped the interference calls after the record start. i seriously wouldn't doubt it. one phone call is all it takes. it'd be cool if lindy made mention of it during this week's festivities.

and yeah, i'd think restricting teams from the trap defense would be a great idea...but a tough call to make during a game. imagine the arguements.

As for the comment about Gomez, if I remember correctly, that was not his price on the open market. Wasn't that an arbitrator's award?

You're right, it was an arbitration award and not the NJD giving him that much. I am hoping that since the Devils seem OK with letting him test the market this summer, that he doesn't break the bank and drive up the price on Chris & Danny...

maybe bettman didn't want the fleet-footed sabres running away with the league...so they dumped the interference calls after the record start. i seriously wouldn't doubt it. one phone call is all it takes. it'd be cool if lindy made mention of it during this week's festivities.

Personally I think Lindy mouthing off about the officiating, however justified, is the main reason we always seem to get the shaft from the commisioners office.

Personally I think Lindy mouthing off about the officiating, however justified, is the main reason we always seem to get the shaft from the commisioners office.

It's no secret that Lindy and Buttman hate each other. This team is talented enough to win even when things are slanted . I think the penaltiues will start to be called again. "casual fans" tuning into the playoffs will see the garbage that we see now and change the channel. They won't change if the sabres can dump 9 on some schlep #8 seed.

The clearest example is if you think back to last season and into the beginning of this season, if a puck was dumped in along the boards and the opposing defender IMPEDED the progress of the attacking forward, it was an interference penalty. I (conservatively) counted 8 times that happened during the Montreal game, and no penalties! And the night before against Vancouver, there was one play where--I believe it was Drury--was actually body checked by the defenseman at the blue line when he didnt have the puck! Something is going on with that for sure, this is a substantial difference.

As I understand it as a defensman, I have a right to the ice as much as the forward, so you can impede progress by "getting in his lane." We are told however, that hitting from the side or pushing the player away from the puck will result in an interference call (granted, I play in a glorified rec league).

One thing the refs haven't seemed to grasp (on any level) is when the 2nd defensman jumps the top end forward after he dumps the puck.

As I understand it as a defensman, I have a right to the ice as much as the forward, so you can impede progress by "getting in his lane." We are told however, that hitting from the side or pushing the player away from the puck will result in an interference call (granted, I play in a glorified rec league).

One thing the refs haven't seemed to grasp (on any level) is when the 2nd defensman jumps the top end forward after he dumps the puck.

I always thought it meant if you're in his lane you can stay there. However, you can't move into his lane after he dumps the puck.

I always thought it meant if you're in his lane you can stay there. However, you can't move into his lane after he dumps the puck.

As I'm told (disclaimer) I have just as much right to that space as the forward does....just I have to get there first. Kind of sounds like basketball???

LINK

(NOTE 1) Body Position:

Body position shall be determined as the player skating in front of or beside his opponent, traveling in the same direction. A player who is behind an opponent, who does not have the puck, may not use his stick, body or free hand in order to restrain his opponent, but must skate in order to gain or reestablish his proper position in order to make a check.

A player is allowed the ice he is standing on (body position) and is not required to move in order to let an opponent proceed. A player may "block" the path of an opponent provided he is in front of his opponent and moving in the same direction. Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference. A player is always entitled to use his body position to lengthen an opponent's path to the puck, provided his stick is not utilized (to make himself "bigger" and therefore considerably lengthening the distance his opponent must travel to get where he is going); his free hand is not used and he does not take advantage of his body position to deliver an otherwise illegal check.

One of our resident refs can explain what the hell that means.

* Does Lindy have a legitimate concern with the refs swallowing their whistles, or is this just the latest down-cycle in the NHL's version of "No, we're really going to enforce it this time - we really mean it..." It seems that the refs are getting away from the interference and obstruction-type penalties, but have maintained the illusion of their continued crackdown by relying on the ridiculous "his-stick-was-parallel-to-the-ice-so-it-must-be-hooking" call. I'd also like to see the league start watching these guys who grab the opponents stick and pin it against their body to get the hooking call, and for once, could we see a straight-up diving call without a matching hooking/tripping call?The diving call never being called without the corresponding penalty to the opponent pisses me off to no end

* Is it time to add a illegal defense penalty, similar to what the NBA has? I say it's worth looking into - we should try to kill the neutral-zone trap by any means necessary.I'm not sure what you could implement, but I hav eto believe it would be tough to enforce with everything else going on that the referees have to follow

* Are faceoffs the only time linesmen get to flex their power, so to speak? I get pretty frustrated watching them randomly throw guys out of the faceoff circle for what appears to be nothing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason sometimes...I think it is an ego thing. The number of guys getting thrown out of the faceoff circle seemed to be down last year, but this year it seems to be creeping back in

I have noticed more guys getting thrown out of the circle for what their wingers do ... it used to be they would just stop and make the wingers line up correctly again. Now in an effort to discourage this "delay of game" they penalize the team by kicking the center out if his winger is at fault.

Not saying the linesmen are not part of the problem, the pump-fakes on the drops are silly.

Archived