Was Connolly's goal vs. Edmonton the best...

nfreeman

I've watched it multiple times on Tivo, and if it wasn't sweeter than the one against Toronto, it was bloody close.

My top 5:

1. Connelly vs. Toronto

2. Connelly vs. Edmonton

3. Kotalik vs. NY Islanders

4. Max against ?? 2-3 weeks ago when he blew down the left side and put the backhand in on the short side.

5. Grier about a month ago vs. ?? near the end of the game.

Vanek's also had 2 really nice ones that I can recall.

I'm open for suggestions about this important topic.

Go Sabres.

I knew Connelly was a great player. I think i was the only one that said so. I said he has great hockey talent and he would put it together this year. Good thing we didn't listen to the armchair GM's and release his a?? eh boys! ;)

Not to rain on your parade but...

Connolly's play is much improved over past years, but I think using the term "great" to describe him is over the top.

I forget who it was against. I like the Pominville goal where he tapped his stick on the ice, took the pass and beat the goalie 5 hole. The figure skater stuff looks pretty. But I like a player who calls for the puck and buries it.

I know Pominville has work to do in his own zone or the neutral zone. I like how he plays. He may be lost in the shuffle, I just hope this organIzation doesn't lose a quality player because of the numbers game.

If it comes down to Pyatt or Pominville. I say good bye Taylor.

If it comes down to Pyatt or Pominville. I say good bye Taylor.

DeLuca -- I like Pominville too, but I don't think the Sabres are going to expose Pyatt this year. He looked pretty good in brief action this year before he got hurt. He's only 24 and is 6'4", 227. I will certainly agree that he hasn't shown much so far. However, we should remember that he was only 22 in the previous NHL season. I think Connolly has shown us that giving someone a second chance, esp. in the new NHL, can really pay off.

On the other hand, Pominville is 29, 6'0", 186. He's a nice spare part with some offensive skills, he pulls his weight on the PK and within the system generally and seems to be a good team player. I don't want to lose him in a numbers game -- but I doubt we expose Pyatt before we expose Pominville.

Bonus prediction for tonight: Sabres 4, Canucks 2.

DeLuca -- I like Pominville too, but I don't think the Sabres are going to expose Pyatt this year. He looked pretty good in brief action this year before he got hurt. He's only 24 and is 6'4", 227. I will certainly agree that he hasn't shown much so far. However, we should remember that he was only 22 in the previous NHL season. I think Connolly has shown us that giving someone a second chance, esp. in the new NHL, can really pay off.

On the other hand, Pominville is 29, 6'0", 186. He's a nice spare part with some offensive skills, he pulls his weight on the PK and within the system generally and seems to be a good team player. I don't want to lose him in a numbers game -- but I doubt we expose Pyatt before we expose Pominville.

Bonus prediction for tonight: Sabres 4, Canucks 2.

Pominville is 23? :blink:

My mistake -- I tried to do my homework by checking NHL.com -- turns out I was looking at his uniform #.  very clever.

The funny thing is that was the first thing I thought when I read your post. :rolleyes:

I know Pominville makes mistakes out there on the ice. But for me he is just one of those players that catch your eye and I would like to see the kid get every chance to make it. I'm sure Pyatt is a great kid. But as a player I just don't get the feeling that he is all that into doing the work needed to be very good in the NHL. On paper I would agree Pyatt is the more tallented and has a more all around game.

The point about Connolly is a valid one. If the light goes on in Pyatt's head then he can be a very good NHL power forward. I'm just not sure if I want to wait too long at the expense of other players like Pominville.

It's calls like these that Regier earns his paycheck. He can go from a genius to a goat based on how this works out. ;)

Archived