Sabre hangover strikes the Sens again.

deluca67

With the 3-2 loss to the Devils the Sens are now 1-9 in games before and after playing the Sabres.

I really think they put so much into playing the Sabres that it takes a lot out them mentally and physically.

and that'll be good for a game and a half of a playoff series, just like last year!

On a slightly related note: did anyone else notice the cheap shot that Phillips put on Vanek during that game? I've been meaning to mention it but our losing "streak" has jumped to the forefront.

Anyway, Vanek had the puck and was coming up along the boards in the offensive zone when Phillips came over and butt-ended him in the mouth. No bodycheck, just a stick in the face. It was a real cheap shot and frankly the kind of move that I think should merit a fine and, for repeat offenders, a suspension.

I can live with some Capitals-style payback (ie a blowout win, not a spear) if we could ever get our heads out of our butts vs. the Senators this year. We actually played very well in the 1st period but just died on the vine during the PP in the 2nd and then the game got away. I'm pretty confident we'll beat them next time (of course I did guarantee a win last time, so it shows how much I know.)

I do think the Senators, like the Leafs, have decided to try to out-physical the Sabres, and this includes a hefty dose of cheap shots. Something to watch next time.

Go Sabres.

I do think the Senators, like the Leafs, have decided to try to out-physical the Sabres, and this includes a hefty dose of cheap shots. Something to watch next time.

I do agree with you about this and it seems like atleast in the leafs case its coming from the top down. Sundin instigated alot of cheap shots after whistles (maybe because Tucker was out of the lineup) but its not just the typical goons trying to start trouble. I think Max proved that he wont take it when I think it was Battaglia cross-checked him max went right back at him in front of the net. This is something that should be looked at and all these plays after the whistle should start to be enforced. These will add up over time and could eventually cause a key injury and the hits are only going to get harder.

I do agree with you about this and it seems like atleast in the leafs case its coming from the top down. Sundin instigated alot of cheap shots after whistles (maybe because Tucker was out of the lineup) but its not just the typical goons trying to start trouble. I think Max proved that he wont take it when I think it was Battaglia cross-checked him max went right back at him in front of the net. This is something that should be looked at and all these plays after the whistle should start to be enforced. These will add up over time and could eventually cause a key injury and the hits are only going to get harder.

yes -- the leafs took a few cheap shots as well. one that sticks out in my mind was on spacek -- he had made a pass to clear the zone and well after he unloaded the puck, one of the leafs plastered him with an open-ice check. since it was well after spacek had passed the puck, it was a dirty hit and should have been called.

the nice thing about it was that Gaustad immediately went charging in for some payback -- just like when Ovechkin cheap-shotted Briere. yet another thing to love about gaustad -- if anyone takes any liberties with any of his teammates, his 1st instinct is to go flying into the fray. It's almost become a cliche to say that Gaustad is future team captain material, but I'm really starting to believe it.

With the 3-2 loss to the Devils the Sens are now 1-9 in games before and after playing the Sabres.

I really think they put so much into playing the Sabres that it takes a lot out them mentally and physically.

They feed off wins over the Sabres. Wins over the Sabres have perhaps saved their season. The Sens lost 11 of their first 17 games before beating the Sabres twice in a span of three games, kicking off a 7-1 stretch after that. They then lost four of five before beating the Sabres again on December 16, which Ottawa followed with 10 wins in 14 games, including another one against the Sabres.

Archived