Caps-Rangers

Alaska Darin

Brashear decides to goon it up by elbowing Jagr in the melon off the faceoff. Shanahan drops gloves with him. Not satisfied, Brashear sucker punches Aaron Ward as he's being led off the ice.

Colton Orr later absolutely decks Ovenchicken, laying him out in a manner that satisfied me greatly. Sorry, can't get past the hit on Briere. Orr gets 2 for charging and a fight with Morrisonn.

ESPN has great video of the game with the boxscore. Old time hockey.

Brashear decides to goon it up by elbowing Jagr in the melon off the faceoff. Shanahan drops gloves with him. Not satisfied, Brashear sucker punches Aaron Ward as he's being led off the ice.

Colton Orr later absolutely decks Ovenchicken, laying him out in a manner that satisfied me greatly. Sorry, can't get past the hit on Briere. Orr gets 2 for charging and a fight with Morrisonn.

Hope that game shows up on Google video next week. Sounds like some interesting exchanges.

I saw that game last night and it was great to see a little old time hockey back again even if Brashear gave a cheap shot to ward. The Cap announcer couldn't believe why Orr was taking shots at cap players after what Brashear did. I believe a quote was 'now that brashear is out Orr thinks he can goon it up for no reason.' He had all the reason in the world Ward was sucker punched in the face.

I saw that game last night and it was great to see a little old time hockey back again even if Brashear gave a cheap shot to ward. The Cap announcer couldn't believe why Orr was taking shots at cap players after what Brashear did. I believe a quote was 'now that brashear is out Orr thinks he can goon it up for no reason.' He had all the reason in the world Ward was sucker punched in the face.

Like Orr would duck Brashear or anyone else for that matter? Those clowns are likely the worst broadcast team in NHL history. Just pathetic.

To be honest, Orr had complete license just because Brashear went after Jagr.

You want hilarity, go over and read the Caps board. Ovenchicken didn't mean to almost kill Briere, so he didn't deserve to be suspended. Briere should have been suspended. Orr is afraid of Brashear and should get a lengthy suspension. Etc etc etc.

those guys can kiss my blue and gold ass, as can howard simon and anyone else who thinks that what briere did to ovechkin was 5% as bad as what ovechkin did to briere.

and ovechkin's dive afterward was the icing on the cake, removing all doubt as to who the real is in the saga.

My take on the whole game:

First, the various big hits on AO were exactly what I wanted to see the Sabres do him Dec. 26. Can anyone on the Sabres throw an open-ice hit?

Second, as much as I LOVED seeing that whiny bitch Aaron Ward get cracked in the mouth, it was just another case of Brashear showing what a classless punk he is. Can't believe people actually felt sorry for him after McSorley cracked him upside his head...

Third, Glen Hanlon might want to have a talk with Brashear and explain that when he goes out of his way to take a shot at the other team's star, that team is usually going to retaliate by going after Ovechkin.

Finally, what's the over/under on suspensions? After all, Orr was penalized for charging on his open-ice collision with the league's golden boy...

I saw him checking his teeth while I was watching the game.....not sure if there is any video of that online yet. Over under on suspension? I say Orr gets 2 games for that. Speaking on this subject, did anybody ever hear anything about the league's review of Briere's "spear" on Ovechkin?

I never heard anything about their review, but after Alaska Darin's post I went trolling on the Caps board to see what they had to say about the whole Ovechkin/Briere debacle. One guy actually posted a letter draft he'd sent to Caps management asking them to pursue legal action against Briere for "intent to injure." And they call us whiny. Thank goodness one of them had some sense and wrote:

I don't mind Briere spearing Ovechkin. Frontier justice... Isn't that the unspoken rule of hockey? Ovechkin boarded Briere, Briere got a little bit of payback without it being any sort of Steve Moore situation. Tit for tat.

If the tables were turned, most of you folks would've been delighted with such a low blow to pay back a nasty-looking run into the boards.

As for the Caps/Rangers game last night, thanks for posting the link to the video. Brashear and Orr should be out for a few games. I had to chuckle, though, when Ovechkin went out of his way to hit a Ranger and took himself out of position, allowing the Rangers to score about four seconds later.

A thread on the Caps board claims Orr is getting 5 games for the highcross-check to AO's face and Brashear is getting one game for the sucker-punches to Ward...

EDIT: It's on Yahoo Sports now. 5 games for Orr, 1 game for Brashear. Ridiculous.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL suspended Rangers forward Colton Orr for five games and Washington enforcer Donald Brashear for one on Sunday following New York's fight-filled victory over the Capitals.

Orr received his ban for a cross-checking blow to the head of Washington forward Alex Ovechkin with 4:20 left in the Rangers' 4-1 victory on Saturday night.

Excuse me?

Wow. We've known it for a while, but this really cements how much of a joke the NHL is when it comes to discipline. But, they did have to let everyone know to keep their hands (and sticks) off the Golden Boy, now didn't they?

And we thought they set a precedent on sucker punches with the Nichol suspension...

Shanahan taking matters into his own hands gave me chills.

He is worth every penny that NY is paying him.

Stewart Scott kept calling it "Old School". Like ESPN knows anything about hockey.. I like the nick name "Oven Chicken".. Send that in to Berman... Oven Chicken was definitely wearing a target on his back. Wonder what he did to PO the Rangers..

Surprised to see Shanahan fighting Brashear. Just checked the tale of the tape: Shanahan: 37/38 Years old, 6'3" and 220lbs; Brashear: 34/35, 6'2", 235lbs.. I thought Brashear was a lot younger, taller and heavier. But then again three years in your thirties in hockey must be like dog years. If nothing else, that is three more years of Shanahan being checked into the boards...

Shanahan taking matters into his own hands gave me chills.

He is worth every penny that NY is paying him.

You're not kidding. He was just as important to the Deadthings as Stevie Y was. Shanny is "all that and a bag of chips." Truly an old school hockey player who can do it all. That was big time stuff and it wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers went on a little run because of that exchange.

Archived