Learning to Skate Advice

niagara66

Powerful skaters incorporate a toe-flick at the end of their stride. If you are doing this, the sound of ice being cut will be pronounced. You may have it nailed!

Going forward in a straight line would make use of inside edges exclusively. Any change of direction would start to incorporate outside edge work.

Took to the ice for the first time today on real skates. Was quite an experience as i can now greater understand what you all are talking about. However, i was left with more questions. When i push off should it sound like i am taking a chunk of ice out with me. Is this because i am a 210lb guy and that is where the sound comes from or am i doing something wrong already? When skating forward, i should most likely be using the two inside edges? I think i am still sort of rollerblading on ice skates which is awkward. Also, are you NEVER supposed to be on both edges of the skate at the same time, even when skating perfectly straight?

Just a few things that i noticed today when going out there. I had to leave the ice when the 9 year old figure skaters started showing me up. B-tches.

Thanks for all the advice so far. Should be an exciting month. Hopefully with no trips to the ER.

Does it sound like you're taking a chunk of ice before or during your stride? If it is at the beginning, you are coming down way too straight in your stride. If it is during the stride as the blade digs into the ice, then like bg17 said, you are probably in very good shape.

About the only time I can think of when you might be on both edges is coasting toward the circle to line up for a faceoff.

It'll take a few sessions to get used to not having a wheel (or blade) out beyond your boot.

Does anyone know of any open hockey time in WNY that is NOT in the middle of the day? Most places it seems have it at lunch time.

I can't answer your question... But the middle of the day is awesome... I do shift work though.

My logic is that ALL THE KIDS ARE IN SCHOOL! :D

Over holiday break it has been brutal... Don't get me wrong I love the little ones... I always feel like when I get moving I may take one of them out!

My son... Doesn't really mind... He calls me the "goon patrol" and even know he is still just a rook... That little 65 pound body somehow knows how to get away from the paternal "steamroller"...

:lol: :lol:

Scott Noble, the guy who wrote those guides is pretty cool. He decided to take up the sport at 34ish just like us and became obsessed. He managed a hockey shop and started writing reviews. Next thing you know, he got a book offer based on those reviews! It is only $10 and a decent, funny read if you are just starting to get into the game. It explains all those things you are too embarrassed to ask. (Here's a tip, never go into a hockey shop and ask for a "butt plug". It's either a butt end or a plug - don't combine the two! :lol: )

He will answer your emails and he even gave me his shop number so I could speak to him on the phone.

it helped that many of the drills she went through were the same ones I was learning in clinic. There is a lot of info on that DVD, although it may not seem so at 1st. By the time you are done you realize there are 25 drills you want to do!

I got the dvd and watched it and liked it. Unfortuntely I have not had time to do any of the drills. Usually I show up for drop in hockey and there are not that many people there but lately its been crowded so we have games. Lots of fun. Have to try the drills later. Thanks for recommending that

Finally got out on the ice today! Had a few delays...

I swapped my Christmas skates in for some that fit. I got a pair of CCM Intruders because they had some that fit and they were about the same price as the Bauers I got as a gift. I wear a size 10 shoe, my skates are size 7. The guy at the store (Dick's) was trying to sell me size 8 but when I tried them on with thin socks, I still had a little more that a finger of clearance. After reading all this advice, I asked for the 7s, which are nice and snug, but not painful. I also got a helmet and elbow pads.

Went to the rink last Saturday intent on signing up for lessons and hitting the ice only to be denied because they didn't have any more insurance waiver forms. I will sign up for the next set of lessons that start in two weeks.

I went to open skating this afternoon at Buff State. For those that can, I recommend it. There were only about a dozen people on the ice (if that). I skated for a couple hours, with a break every 20 minutes or so.

I haven't been on skates in close to 20 years and was very tentative. My arms were kind of flailing and I didn't feel comfortable. So I watched a few of the people who could skate really good and tried to mimic their style. By the end I was taking nice (I think) strides and was emboldened to try a few cross overs and stuff. I only fell once, this was towards the end when my legs were tiring (haven't used those muscles in a while) and after I got a little cocky.

I'm going again tomorrow. I figure it will take a little while to get my balance. Then lessons and drills. They also have the open skate and shoot which maybe I'll try in a week or so.

Finally got out on the ice today! Had a few delays...

I swapped my Christmas skates in for some that fit. I got a pair of CCM Intruders because they had some that fit and they were about the same price as the Bauers I got as a gift. I wear a size 10 shoe, my skates are size 7. The guy at the store (Dick's) was trying to sell me size 8 but when I tried them on with thin socks, I still had a little more that a finger of clearance. After reading all this advice, I asked for the 7s, which are nice and snug, but not painful. I also got a helmet and elbow pads.

Went to the rink last Saturday intent on signing up for lessons and hitting the ice only to be denied because they didn't have any more insurance waiver forms. I will sign up for the next set of lessons that start in two weeks.

I went to open skating this afternoon at Buff State. For those that can, I recommend it. There were only about a dozen people on the ice (if that). I skated for a couple hours, with a break every 20 minutes or so.

I haven't been on skates in close to 20 years and was very tentative. My arms were kind of flailing and I didn't feel comfortable. So I watched a few of the people who could skate really good and tried to mimic their style. By the end I was taking nice (I think) strides and was emboldened to try a few cross overs and stuff. I only fell once, this was towards the end when my legs were tiring (haven't used those muscles in a while) and after I got a little cocky.

I'm going again tomorrow. I figure it will take a little while to get my balance. Then lessons and drills. They also have the open skate and shoot which maybe I'll try in a week or so.

Excellent! Nice to see you are really into it. One funny thing. I've noticed that the falling gets easier as you learn to do it right. I use to seriously fall hard, but lately I have been flying around faster than I ever thought I could go and falling, but landing softly. Actually had my stick fly up in the air and hit me on the head, lol. I'm surprised you have a size 7 hockey skate. I wear 10 shoe size and have a 9 hockey skate. I wonder if with a different pair it would be different? As long as it fits you right who cares. Keep up the good work and have fun!

Does anybody know why ice skates fit one, two, or more sizes SMALLER than regular street shoes?

Is it because of break-in or stretch?

I skate on a pair of Mission's... They are the only skate to stay sized in accordance with street shoes... But, if I look under the insole of my size 10... You notice that a "9" is marked on the footbed of the boot/shell.

??

Like I said before... Most people have one foot that is smaller or bigger than the other! The bigger foot on me appears to be my left...

I noticed when I skate with no socks or very thin socks... I get very good performance out of the skates... I think I will take Scott's advice and get them baked, they have a thermo fit capability... Yet, in five years I never had them baked... Heard that they naturally heat up and mold... The big concern for me is the left foot around the inside width near the cap...

If anybody has baked them... I would appreciate some advice... The pro-shop where I skate has a skate bake oven and does the fitting for 25 bucks... Should I wear thicker than normal socks? So as to get more stretch and then compensate later skating on a thinner sock? That would make sense, right?

I also heard after baking... You should keep them upright and not skate on them for 24 hours...

Any advice would be great...

And GREAT JOB ALL YOU GUYS OUT THERE... Keep up the good work!

I believe shoe size in the US uses the Braddock (Brannock?) scale. Starting at a certain size...and I'm not sure which, each half size is equal to a third of an inch. On the skate spectrum I believe most manufacturers have there own sizing chart/device, which explains the variation among the different offerings.

As for the disparity in sizes printed on your skate, I have heard that quite a few manufacturers will use one size footbed for a couple sizes of skate. Basically to keep their costs down.

1. My new CCM's are 2.5 sizes smaller than my shoe size. Although 3 sizes sounds too much, if they fit - they fit! I thought 2.5 sizes was too small until I tried them.

2. Flailing arms are a strong sign that you are standing up too much. Bend your knees! Bend your knees!

3. Wear the SAME socks in your bake that you skate in. You want LESS stretch. In fact, if they do it right - you won't even stand in your skates for 20 minutes while they cool. That way they will cool in a snugger position that gives you support. They will stretch over time.

4. bob_sauve... My new skates have made a WORLD of difference. I had one size larger in a different brand (Nike) and had too much length and too roomy a toe box. Well... I had lower back pain, ankle pain, and pain across my forefoot that I took measures to try and correct (ibuprofen, braces, loosening my laces), etc...

With my new, well fitting skates - ALL my pain is gone and get this. I tried for 10 months to hockey stop to my weak side and the progress was painfully slow. I barely worked up to were I could do a slow one with a lot of concentration. With my new skates, I stopped the 1st time I tried at medium speed with no difficulty!!! Think about that - new skates, new fit, diffferent rocker, shorter blade and I instantly did something I could barely do on my poorly fitting skates after months of trying. I have so much more confidence in my weak side now. I expect my skating to really take off now that I move freely on both sides.

BTW, look who has the most points on the worst team in the league!:

http://www.thegardensicehouse.com/AHL/stat...ingSkulls-C.asp

:)

3. Wear the SAME socks in your bake that you skate in. You want LESS stretch. In fact, if they do it right - you won't even stand in your skates for 20 minutes while they cool. That way they will cool in a snugger position that gives you support. They will stretch over time.

4. bob_sauve... My new skates have made a WORLD of difference. I had one size larger in a different brand (Nike) and had too much length and too roomy a toe box. Well... I had lower back pain, ankle pain, and pain across my forefoot that I took measures to try and correct (ibuprofen, braces, loosening my laces), etc...

With my new, well fitting skates - ALL my pain is gone and get this. I tried for 10 months to hockey stop to my weak side and the progress was painfully slow. I barely worked up to were I could do a slow one with a lot of concentration. With my new skates, I stopped the 1st time I tried at medium speed with no difficulty!!! Think about that - new skates, new fit, diffferent rocker, shorter blade and I instantly did something I could barely do on my poorly fitting skates after months of trying. I have so much more confidence in my weak side now. I expect my skating to really take off now that I move freely on both sides.

I really noticed that too Scott... Kinda by what people where saying here... Thanks for the advice.

I was ready to get a new pair of skates, but hated to have to break in a new pair... Seemed everything fit great... Back of the heal... Toes barely grazing the tow cup and all that... Like I said the only pain was nagging in my left foot, near the side of my big toe... I actually tried wearing no socks and bam! I was able to bring a tee-stop and intiate a hockey stop to my weak side (going right to left!)... I then tried a thinner sock with the same result! Like I said... I am gonna try the "bake route" to see if I can get even more preformance... The pro-shop opens at 10 today so I will head over there... I may even see if they have nice pair of thin socks that I can purchase... Right now, I wear my ski sock... And those are getting pretty banged up... I can't even remember where I purchased them?... They have a "tech" quality with some sort of "flake" (I suppose to keep you warm)... I will bring them...

Again... Thanks for the adivce... I know it will work wonders if I can just mold that little area... I may even have a very small bunion there? I know in ski boots they can actually bubble the part of the plastic shell to accomadate slight deformities!

Here is to the bake-off! ;)

I should clarify..I wear a 10 shoe but I'm really more 9 1/2. I prefer the looser feel of the 10. So the skates are, similar to SDS, probably more like 2.5 sizes smaller.

I had an appointment downtown this AM so I skated today on the free outdoor rink at Fountain Square in downtown BFLO (On Main right by the Gold Dome). It was nice being outside, cold and sunny. There was me and one other guy on the rink. Plus you look cool for all the office chicks shivering on their smoke breaks.

I did better already. I concentrated on making longer strides and, since there was a relective window I could see myself in, I appeared to have the proper "swaying" motion with my legs that I observed the good skates exhibiting yesterday. Not quite as good, but it was there. Much less arm flail.

I felt more comfortable anyway. I did a few crossovers and tighter turns, accelerating out of the turns. Skating faster. No falls today, but I only skated 45 min or so. Not bad for day 2 but a LONG LONG way to go....

I think I need to lace 'em up tighter, particularly in that transition area from top of foot to boot. That will shore up my ankles better and giove me more confidence. Not rady to try stops at speed or anything yet.

I got the dvd and watched it and liked it. Unfortuntely I have not had time to do any of the drills. Usually I show up for drop in hockey and there are not that many people there but lately its been crowded so we have games. Lots of fun. Have to try the drills later. Thanks for recommending that

Are you playing drop in hockey in the Buffalo area? If so, where and when?

I think I need to lace 'em up tighter, particularly in that transition area from top of foot to boot. That will shore up my ankles better and giove me more confidence. Not rady to try stops at speed or anything yet.

that is what locks your heel in place. If you over tighten that area though, your feet may get too cold when skating which means you are probably cutting off circulation. Make sure you get blood down there!

do those CCM's come w/ lace locks at the transition area? Mine do and they are very nice to lace up with.

1. My new CCM's are 2.5 sizes smaller than my shoe size. Although 3 sizes sounds too much, if they fit - they fit! I thought 2.5 sizes was too small until I tried them.

2. Flailing arms are a strong sign that you are standing up too much. Bend your knees! Bend your knees!

Nice Scott! Way to make us proud on this board! You guys gotta start winning now. I am not surprised at all about how much difference your skates make. They are so important. What I am surprised about is how well mine fit. I just showed up at great skate, we tried a few on and they were perfect, no baking or anything. About the DVD, I tried that one exercise where you skate full speed and then do a complete spin around, front to back and back to front with the puck while still moving up ice. I can do it one way, but not at full speed. I also watched how they did their backwards skating and that has helped. I covered a defenseman who pinched last game and actually had to play defense!! Yikes. I was able to turn and skate backward while they came into our zone. Thank God they didn't try and beat me with a move, I might have fallen down :D

that is what locks your heel in place. If you over tighten that area though, your feet may get too cold when skating which means you are probably cutting off circulation. Make sure you get blood down there!

do those CCM's come w/ lace locks at the transition area? Mine do and they are very nice to lace up with.

That's what I do, tight up high, but looser down below that

Nice Scott! Way to make us proud on this board! You guys gotta start winning now. I am not surprised at all about how much difference your skates make. They are so important. What I am surprised about is how well mine fit. I just showed up at great skate, we tried a few on and they were perfect, no baking or anything. About the DVD, I tried that one exercise where you skate full speed and then do a complete spin around, front to back and back to front with the puck while still moving up ice. I can do it one way, but not at full speed. I also watched how they did their backwards skating and that has helped. I covered a defenseman who pinched last game and actually had to play defense!! Yikes. I was able to turn and skate backward while they came into our zone. Thank God they didn't try and beat me with a move, I might have fallen down :D

Do what DCSabres taught me - keep your stick out in front, hand on top of the stick with your elbow bent and at your side. Stay on his inside shoulder and force him wide. Having your elbow in gives you lots of room to extend that stick for a poke-check if he gets too close...

I haven't tried that drill, but I would love to give it a whirl (alone, when no one is watching me fall down :lol: )....

This is slightly off topic, but since I don't currently have the time/drive to undertake the "learning how to skate properly in your 30's" program, I would love to get back into the floor/ball hockey game in/around Buffalo. I played year round for about 5 years out of state, but have been forced into retirement since moving here. Can anyone point me in the direction of a team/league in the city or southtowns that plays on weekday evenings or weekends? Not looking for anything too competitive, but want to play again, score some goals and drink some beers after. Any guidance would be appreciated.

This is slightly off topic, but since I don't currently have the time/drive to undertake the "learning how to skate properly in your 30's" program, I would love to get back into the floor/ball hockey game in/around Buffalo. I played year round for about 5 years out of state, but have been forced into retirement since moving here. Can anyone point me in the direction of a team/league in the city or southtowns that plays on weekday evenings or weekends? Not looking for anything too competitive, but want to play again, score some goals and drink some beers after. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Are you near West Seneca at all? Mineral Springs road has a indoor rink last I knew. They are great guys there. I'm sure they are in the phone book

• 4 weeks later...

PROGRESS!!!! Today was the first time i was able to get the feel of a hockey stop on my strong leg. It was 90% stop 10% turn. Going medium speed i did a snowplow leading into a quick turn on the inside edge of my right skate. However, this created a new set of problems of what to do with my left leg. As i went into the turn i lifted my left leg instead of turning it. The leg came well off the ice in an almost stork like fashion. It felt much more comfortable stopping on the one foot than trying to maintain my left on the ice while turning. Any advice on how to rectify this? After unsuccessfully practicing stops to my left, i realized i won't have the leg lifting problem, but i will have enough trouble learning it all the same.

Hey Grim! Sorry I didn't reply to your PM. I was out of town and wanted to wait until I get back on the ice to see how I'm doing. I'm going to Buff State open skate tomorrow. I'm also going to watch the guys at skate and shoot to see their skill level.

Sounds like you're coming along! I still haven't stopped successfully. I fell the couple times I tried. It's psychological because of the narrowness of the blade. I don't get my weight right.

I can ski and waterski (not great, intermediate at both but I don't embarrass or hurt myself, and I don't do either as much as I'd like) . I'm sure it's one of those things where once I do it once and know the feeling, I'll progress rapidly. It's just kinda frustrating. I was walking down a snow covered street and did a run and slide stop in my boots where I throw my weight at my right (lead) foot and apply pressure as I turn it sideways (to the left). Then I thought..Hmmm? I wonder if that's it? I'll try tomorrow.

I have a pretty good stride I think and can comfortably do cross overs to my left. I'm going to skate two days this week (tomorrow and Wed) but have to go out of town and will be back Monday. I will start lessons next Saturday.

I'm progressing but work has gotten in the way a little bit. Are you in WNY? I'll PM you.

Archived