Rory Fit5zpatrick

apuszczalowski

That is going to sound funny

He is currently #2, I guess the experiment is working, the NHL's fan voting for the All Star game is defective (although most fans could have told you that a long time ago) and at the start of January he could be named to the roster as a write in canidate

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=189124&hubname=

I haven't really posted on this because I thought it was a joke, but now that he's in freaking second place, I think its time to back it all down. IMO, this joke has run its course - while I know that there are a lot of people who couldn't care less about the all-star game, I for one really don't want to see Rory there in the place of a true all-star. I understand the concept - he's a hard worker, a scrapper who has had to survive in the NHL, but that doesn't mean I want to see him out there instead of Phaneuf or Liles or Regher...

Since the NHL doesn't have much of a sense of humor, I can see this prompting the league to change the voting procedures or rules or somehow devaluing the fan votes.

I haven't really posted on this because I thought it was a joke, but now that he's in freaking second place, I think its time to back it all down. IMO, this joke has run its course - while I know that there are a lot of people who couldn't care less about the all-star game, I for one really don't want to see Rory there in the place of a true all-star. I understand the concept - he's a hard worker, a scrapper who has had to survive in the NHL, but that doesn't mean I want to see him out there instead of Phaneuf or Liles or Regher...

Since the NHL doesn't have much of a sense of humor, I can see this prompting the league to change the voting procedures or rules or somehow devaluing the fan votes.

It has nothing to do with what you suggested there. It's a bunch of internet dorks teaming up to completely ruin the all star game. The NHL has a bad enough image to the average american, and this sure as hell isn't going to help.

It has nothing to do with what you suggested there. It's a bunch of internet dorks teaming up to completely ruin the all star game. The NHL has a bad enough image to the average american, and this sure as hell isn't going to help.

No, I understand what you're saying, shrader - I am just repeating what the internet dorks put out there as their "reasoning" for voting for Rory in the first place. My point is that regardless of what or why, if it stays on pace, this is going to impact the all-star game by taking away a spot from a deserving player and giving it to Rory; and the NHL will be embarrassed by it and will change the voting rules next year.

I'll even throw out the old naive "I hope if Rory makes it b/c of this crap he turns it down" line here, even though it might be hard for him to do.

No, I understand what you're saying, shrader - I am just repeating what the internet dorks put out there as their "reasoning" for voting for Rory in the first place. My point is that regardless of what or why, if it stays on pace, this is going to impact the all-star game by taking away a spot from a deserving player and giving it to Rory; and the NHL will be embarrassed by it and will change the voting rules next year.

I'll even throw out the old naive "I hope if Rory makes it b/c of this crap he turns it down" line here, even though it might be hard for him to do.

My only disagreement was with the hard worker, scrapper comment. I haven't read up on any of this, but I'm sure they just went with one of the more obscure players they could find.

Also, I bet Rory's got some all star clause in his contract. You know, one of those "we never thought he'd actually hit this incentive" clauses that they always put in contracts.

The guy who started this is a Buffalo resident. Here are some of the quotes he has given to the media:

From USA Today

"He won the Vancouver Canucks' most accurate shot (contest), so I thought, 'Why can't he do that in the real All-Star Game?' " fan Steve Schmid says. "I posted it on a couple message boards, and it just took off from there."

Schmid says the drive generated 5,500 responses on HFBoards.com. His website, www.voteforrory.com, has more than 75,000 hits since Nov. 19.

"Rory's the underdog," Schmid says. "He works so hard to stay in the league. He's much more of an important part of a team than people think."

From CBC Sports

"A guy like Rory Fitzpatrick deserves to go to the all-star game over a lot of other guys who probably don't want to be there anyway," Schmid said in an interview. "He showed a lot of determination to stay in the league and make the most out of his role.

"The all-star game is a great way not only to honour the superstars but honour the guys that are the best at their role. "

If this was a case of Rory being snubbed as an All-Star in the past, he deserves to go (legitimately) and the league made a mistake in leaving him off the ballot, or a lifetime achievement award, something like that - fine. Not a great idea, but I can understand it. But reading these quotes, it sounds to me that it is exactly what we thought - this all started it out as a joke, which took off, and now they are trying to justify it so it doesn't look like a slap in the face to a no. 7 - type defenseman who has played only 19 games, has no points and is a -1.

Thank God we have a game tonight to discuss, so I can go back to ignoring this stupidity...

This reminds me of the "who can bring the ugliest date to the party contest".

Why, did some hot chick bring you and win the contest, Inky?

HAHAHAHAHA!

Kidding. Never seen ya!

Frankly, I'd have rather seen a Vote4London web site to give someone who's truly deserving a chance to go instead of the usual suspects. Talk about a snub!

Archived