5 goals in 3 home games isn't going to cut it

LabattBlue

Do you think this is were size comes into play? I mean being undersized and speedy is great for free flowing games. It just seems that we have trouble knocking people off the puck once we dump it in.

How many hits did Buffalo have last night? Almost none, except for Kotalik. I was yelling at the screen, "Hit someone, anyone!"

They never seem to hit and hold a player to the boards in the defensive zone, which leads to full-on possession for the other team, which usually leads to goals. It pisses me off that nobody hits anyone anymore. :angry:

How many hits did Buffalo have last night? Almost none, except for Kotalik. I was yelling at the screen, "Hit someone, anyone!"

They never seem to hit and hold a player to the boards in the defensive zone, which leads to full-on possession for the other team, which usually leads to goals. It pisses me off that nobody hits anyone anymore. :angry:

It does suck, but this is the team that Darcy built, so that is what we have to live with. Hopefully come playoff time, the hitting will return as it is more about attitude/effort than it is about size.

It's real easy to score 4 or 5 goals a game when teams allow the Sabres to free wheel up and down the ice. All of a sudden when they have to work a little harder, the goal scoring frenzy has dried up.

It's all about the effort!

It seems like you may be pressing the panic button a bit early. Let's compare where this team is now compared to last season.

Last Year 22 - 10 - 1 45pts 110 gf 101 ga

This year 24 - 7 - 2 50 pts 129 gf 98 ga

This team is ahead of it's pace of least seaosn and the power play and penalty kills have yet to come close to hitting it's stride.

This is the first season where the Sabres are the hunted not the hunters. Maybe keeping the Habs close to the Sabres is what the Sabres need to keep them from getting lazy.

There are two things I want to comment on - first, I never thought I'd see the day where DeLuca was the voice of reason. Guess it must be a Christmas miracle...

Second - I think the "keep them from getting lazy" ship has already sailed. There appears to be a full-blown complacency epidemic running through that dressing room, with only a handful of guys not reading their own press clippings and all-star voting totals. I don't think there is a quick fix, but some of these guys might need to be pushed a little more, either for playing time, PP time, what line they are on...

There are two things I want to comment on - first, I never thought I'd see the day where DeLuca was the voice of reason. Guess it must be a Christmas miracle...

Second - I think the "keep them from getting lazy" ship has already sailed. There appears to be a full-blown complacency epidemic running through that dressing room, with only a handful of guys not reading their own press clippings and all-star voting totals. I don't think there is a quick fix, but some of these guys might need to be pushed a little more, either for playing time, PP time, what line they are on...

Maybe Tallinder is the quick fix. I think we all underestimated his value. Once he is back it's make the special teams instantly better. The Sabres are the best team in the East with very blah PP and PK. Once they start creeping into the top 10? Watch out.

Maybe Tallinder is the quick fix. I think we all underestimated his value. Once he is back it's make the special teams instantly better. The Sabres are the best team in the East with very blah PP and PK. Once they start creeping into the top 10? Watch out.

I for one, haven't underestimated Tallinder at all. He is by far our best defenseman and will make a big impact upon his return. The only thing is that I don't believe he can help the PP. :(

GO BRIERE!!!!!! :worthy:

I'd like to believe that, but I just don't think so. As much of a huge impact as he'll have on the 5-on-5 and with the PK, I don't think he is going to magically snap the team out of their "skate when we feel like it" complacency, and that has been the biggest problem lately - much more so than the PK, PP or defensive zone struggles. It's been lazy play that has resulted in turnovers, bad penalties, and thus, excessive time on the PK.

As for the PP, his return should have a trickle-down effect - his return should mean that the team relies a little less on Campbell, Teppo and others on the PK, which should make them fresher for the man-advantage situations.

I hope the guys in that dressing room aren't looking to the outside (to injured players, for instance) for help in righting the ship, since we all know what they are capable of on their own. If he does come back and the team does magically turn it around, then I think the Sabres should stick an "A" on his jersey and start campaigning for him to win the Hart Trophy.

Archived