The Power Play Has To Get Better

bob_sauve28

I think its time to get away from "the bombers at the point" strategy of using Kotalik and Pomminstein's big shots to set up rebounds & tips. I'd like to see them use Briere, Roy or Vanek to quarterback the PP from back there - someone who can grip it & rip it, but can also make a nice pass to keep the opposition from rushing the shooter.

I like the idea of going back to having 4 forwards out on the ice for almost every PP. I think with the addition of Spacek, Ruff seems to have been going with a more traditional line-up on the PP this year. You're right though, BMWOLF, Kotalik, Pominville and Spacek just aren't getting shooting lanes right now.

The person you describe in your post which would be perfect for that is Timmy Connolly...a point-man quarterback who can make a great pass and is strong on the puck. I would hesitate to move Briere up to the point simply because I think he's much more effective in that lower area around the corners, or on the half board. Vanek is so good in front of the net, at either deflections or picking up rebounds that I wouldn't want to move him either. Roy might work, or perhaps put Hecht up top? Tough one to answer

I think its time to get away from "the bombers at the point" strategy of using Kotalik and Pomminstein's big shots to set up rebounds & tips. I'd like to see them use Briere, Roy or Vanek to quarterback the PP from back there - someone who can grip it & rip it, but can also make a nice pass to keep the opposition from rushing the shooter.

I am usually a proponent of a patient powerplay, but I think they have been giving up

too many shots from point looking for something better.

I don't know. I think there have been instances of that, but when teams see Big Al and Pommer on the point, they seem to be rushing them and not letting them get off a big boomer. Maybe they need to move them up front and use Danny or Roy or someone like that to try to get them a one-timer on the off-wing or in the high slot.

I don't know. I think there have been instances of that, but when teams see Big Al and Pommer on the point, they seem to be rushing them and not letting them get off a big boomer. Maybe they need to move them up front and use Danny or Roy or someone like that to try to get them a one-timer on the off-wing or in the high slot.

I was wondering why they haven't been trying the high slot much more - you would think that when they press the points slipping someone in just under the high D would open a lot of things up.

I think the answer is that both Big Al & Pommer get a little flustered when they are rushed - when under pressure they always try to do one of three thing - force the shot, go across to the other point, or flip it in the corner and hope we maintain control.

Honestly, the only upgrade I'd like to see on this team is a true PP QB, someone who can drop the hammer with the big shot or make a nice pass to keep the "D" honest.

I was wondering why they haven't been trying the high slot much more - you would think that when they press the points slipping someone in just under the high D would open a lot of things up.

Their passing just hasn't been crisp enough lately to beat that pressure. They have fumbled the puck a lot, too. I think the pressure is building on them. These PP slumps don't last forever. We just need one good night to turn things around.

What we are really seeing is how critical Tallinder and Connelly are to the powerplay. It was pretty mediocre for years, no matter who was out there, until these guys broke-out last season.

Getting Tallinder back, shortly, should help. But someone else needs to step up as well in Timmy's absence. Ales where are you?

Our numbers are suffering some from guys not being in the lineup - Connolly & Dumont had good PP years last year - but a bigger part is the guys who are still here aren't producing - Big Al's #'s are way off, Campbell's are off, and so are Pommer's.

Tallinder won't directly help with the PP. Last year, he managed all of 1 point on the PP- 1 assist - but he'll help by logging more minutes to take some pressure off Campbell and Numminen, so they'll be fresher for the PP.

Maybe its due to a change in strategy, the loss of Arniel, teams defending our PP differently, but we need to try some different things and switch things up a bit.

Check out the 2005-06 PP stats here

and check out the 06-07 stats here

Teams are pressureing us more this year and we are not handling it. Timmy would make all the difference in the world in dealing with the pressure PK's. What could change it around right now is Briere and Max. They have the ability to do what Timmy does on the powerplay, they need to be the one to draw the PKers to them and dish it off to the open area just like Timmy did last year, they do that and it backs off the PK which gives everyone more time to make decisions and get point shots thru. Briere was doing this earlier this season but not sure if the coaches have moved away from it or Briere has.

Teams are pressureing us more this year and we are not handling it. Timmy would make all the difference in the world in dealing with the pressure PK's. What could change it around right now is Briere and Max. They have the ability to do what Timmy does on the powerplay, they need to be the one to draw the PKers to them and dish it off to the open area just like Timmy did last year, they do that and it backs off the PK which gives everyone more time to make decisions and get point shots thru. Briere was doing this earlier this season but not sure if the coaches have moved away from it or Briere has.

It would also force other teams to take notice, if they repeatedly got burnt by being too agressive.

Archived