Lindy's Pre-Game Statements

That Aud Smell

This was probably covered in the game thread, but I wanted to relate my take on Lindy's sort of odd pre-game statements to the press about how the Sabres just can't seem to win at Jersey, that they'd need to win 1-0, etc.

To me, this was yet another example of how Lindy can get the guys focused and fired up at the tail end of a long roadie, in the middle of the regular season.

This was probably covered in the game thread, but I wanted to relate my take on Lindy's sort of odd pre-game statements to the press about how the Sabres just can't seem to win at Jersey, that they'd need to win 1-0, etc.

To me, this was yet another example of how Lindy can get the guys focused and fired up at the tail end of a long roadie, in the middle of the regular season.

Ehhhh, I think you're giving Lindy a bit too much credit. He says those things all the time. And you guys think I'm a pessimist? The risk of those comments, of course, is that you talk you're team out of it. We have a bunch of guys who went into the game with no idea they were supposed to struggle in New Jersey. Lindy gave them a reason to. Bad call, IMHO.

Ehhhh, I think you're giving Lindy a bit too much credit. He says those things all the time. And you guys think I'm a pessimist? The risk of those comments, of course, is that you talk you're team out of it. We have a bunch of guys who went into the game with no idea they were supposed to struggle in New Jersey. Lindy gave them a reason to. Bad call, IMHO.

Did the Sabres not win 3-2? On the road against the best home team in the Eastern Conference? Yah, real bad call by Lindy. He pushed the right buttons.

I agree with Aud Smell, I think he did use that statement to get them focused on the fact that it was not going to be a run-and-gun game ... he also made a point to say "they are playing better than us right now." The way this team has played this season, he has to take any chance he gets to remind them that they can't just show up.

PA, I know what you are saying, but the way they played that game, one of their best defensive games of the year, tells me they bought in to what Lindy was selling in this case.

He pushed the right buttons.

I failed to use that phrase -- and I should've -- thanks, Ko. My point was that there have been a number of instances in the recent past where Lindy's made remarks with (what appears to be) the intended effect of pushing someone's buttons, or the team's collective button(s).

PA, I hear what you're saying, but at this stage of his career, I do not think this is a case of extending too much credit to Lindy -- dude is cagey.

I failed to use that phrase -- and I should've -- thanks, Ko. My point was that there have been a number of instances in the recent past where Lindy's made remarks with (what appears to be) the intended effect of pushing someone's buttons, or the team's collective button(s).

PA, I hear what you're saying, but at this stage of his career, I do not think this is a case of extending too much credit to Lindy -- dude is cagey.

Yes, Lindy is pretty cagey. A lot of what he says to the media while not dishonest is for public consumption.

So the players had no idea that Jersey was a tough place to play before Lindy gave them this 'bad' advice? They didn't know about the Devils home record, or the trap they play, or about their HOF goalie?

Ruff was just tyring to have his team play with a bit more discipline against one of the best trapping teams in the league. He wanted them to be patient and take opportunites as they presented themselves, rather than trying to force them, even if that means they have to try to win 1-0.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that trying to complete long breakout passes through the middle against the Devils is suicide, but the Sabres looked much better against Jersey than they did against the Panthers (another trapping team), so give credit to Ruff for getting the team back on the same page.

Archived