New line combos

nfreeman

From today's Buffalo News:

"The most interesting move at Wednesday's practice had Ales Kotalik playing center, where he hasn't regularly played since he was in the Czech Republic, between left winger Thomas Vanek and right winger Maxim Afinogenov.

Ruff returned Roy to his effective postseason position as the left winger on Chris Drury's line. They skated with Adam Mair on the right wing, although he could return to the fourth line, depending on who gets recalled from the Rochester Americans.

All of the injury reserves who had been summoned from the Amerks - forwards Drew Stafford and Daniel Paille and defenseman Michael Funk - were sent down after the Sabres completed their 10-game whirlwind segment with a record of 7-2 and one overtime loss. Ruff indicated one forward would be recalled, suggesting enforcer Andrew Peters would skate on the fourth line for the first time in five games."

I'm quite interested to see (i) if this sticks and (ii) if it does, whether Al's productivity increases by playing with Max and Vanek. I have to believe it will, and I wouldn't be surprised if the jump was significant. Al's gotten a fair amount of criticism on this board, but I think this move is a reward by Lindy for good all-around play. Same goes for moving Mair up to Drury's line. (Roy on the other hand must be a little bummed without Vanek and Max to help him rack up the points).

I'm also interested to see who we recall from Rochester -- ie who Lindy feels is at the top of the list. I'd guess Paille, but it could easily be Stafford (or for that matter Ryan).

So that would leave the lines at:

Briere-Hecht-Pominville

Kotalik-Max-Vanek

Drury-Roy-Mair

Gaustad-Peters-Stafford/Paille

How 'bout we beat the Rangers in regulation this time around?

Go Sabres.

Archived